Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 26, 2018 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The killer exposes Walter for who he really is

A chapter in the book Bittersweet Revenge

Hidden Secrets

by Mistydawn


I feel like I just left this place. Rachel smells the overwhelming scent of antiseptic as she darts down the hospital's sterile hallway.

Her nursing career began fresh out of high school. A decision she often regrets. The long stressful hours and the mind-boggling workload wasn't what she pictured at all.

Rachel sees Bonnie and her dad cuddled up on the bed when she steps into the room. I hope I find love like that. She quietly turns around. A nurse rushes past her when she reaches the door.

"It's time for your medicine, Mr. Webb." 

"What?" Max sleepily replies, glancing towards her.

"I have your antibiotic, Sir. It'll help keep the infection down." She hands him a glass of water followed by a small container.

"Yes, of course." Sitting up, he reaches for them.

"I believe you have a visitor." She turns towards the door.

"Hi Dad, how are you feeling?" Rachel asks.

"I'm doing a lot better now I'm out of ICU." He looks at his nurse and smiles.

"Jan will take good care of you. Won't you pal?" Rachel puts her arm around her friend.

"I'll make sure he gets our first-rate service." She winks.

"Jan was telling me that you two aren't allowed in the unit anymore?"

An ornery smile creeps across Rachel's face. "Let's just say they didn't appreciate our sense of humor." She laughs, recalling their silly prank.

"They're a bunch of old fuddy-duddies anyhow. Aren't they, Rach?"

"They have no sense of humor at all." Rachel laughs again.

"I got to get back to work. See you tomorrow, Rach?"

"I'll be here."

Opening her eyes, Bonnie turns towards the voices. "When did you get here?"

Rachel glances at her watch. "I've been here a couple of hours."

"I haven't been asleep that long, have I?"

"You've been snoring the whole time I've been here."

"I don't snore." Bonnie protests, sitting up in bed.

"You did today," Rachel says, trying to keep a straight face.

"Really?" she asks, glancing at her husband.

Max laughs. "Don't let her fool you. She just got here."

"I wasn't snoring, was I?"

"No." Max chuckles.

"You're a spoilsport, Dad."

Max chuckles again. "What's this I've been hearing about you trying to ambush your sisters with a water gun?"

"I'd never do that," Rachel says, batting her eyes.

"Yeah, I bet." Max smiles.

"Your dad is challenging us to a water fight when he gets better."

"Bring it on, old man."

"Old man, really?"

"That's what I said. You're too slow and decrepit to win against me," Rachel says.

"You're going to eat those words, little girl."

"You just go right ahead and try, gramps."

"Gramps, old man, Oh, you're going down."

"I'll be sure to move slow; give you a fighting chance." She starts running and talking in slow motion. "Can you keep up with this, Dad?"

Bonnie laughs.

"You're not one bit funny, Rachel."

"I think she is." Bonnie laughs again.

"Whose side are you on, Bonnie?" Max asks, feeling betrayed.

"I'm on the winner's side."

"That'll be me." Rachel drapes her arm around her stepmom.

"We'll just see about that."

Joe clears his throat in the doorway.

"Hi, Joe," Bonnie replies.

"What's going on in here?" Joe questions, stepping through the door.

"Max just challenged Rachel to a water gun fight."

"The old man is going to lose," she says, trying to contain a smile.

"It's more like baby girl is about to be schooled." Max smiles.

"Keep dreaming old man." Rachel laughs.

Joe snickers. "I need to ask each of you a few questions. It'll only take a minute."

"Can I go first? Today is my only day off and I have a lot of errands to run." Rachel quickly explains.

"We're not going anywhere," her father says.

"Would you care to step into the hallway?" Rachel follows Joe out of the room.

"How are your feelings towards Max?"

"He's a wonderful dad; takes real good care of us."

"Do you have any resentment towards him; for what you went through as a child?"

"How can I blame him when he didn't know about me?"

I didn't hear any anger or resentment in her voice. Her body language didn't change either. So she's either a talented actress or she's telling the truth. If she didn't hurt Max, chances are she didn't hurt the others either. I better ask a few more questions just to be sure. "Can anyone verify your whereabouts between 12:00 and 12:30 this morning?"

"Bonnie will tell you I was asleep on my couch."

Seeing she's getting nervous, he decides to push harder. "Where were you the day before yesterday, around lunchtime?"

"I was at work. Can I go now? I have a lot to do."

"Yeah, go ahead."I need to check her time card, just to be sure, he thinks, watching her rush down the hall.


***

Pete and his wife live in an old two-story Victorian off of highway 21. Their place has a tranquil feel to it, with its beautiful green lawn and numerous old oak trees encompassing the entire house. Jerry notices their colorful flower gardens on either side of the porch when he gets closer. They should be in the landscaping business. He continues to look around.

"Hey Jerry," Pete says, climbing off his ladder.

"Hi Pete, how are you holding up?"

"Alright, I guess. I'm doing chores around the house trying to keep my mind occupied."

"I understand that." Taking out his notepad, Jerry continues, "Last night you said that Bernie hits on the women?"

Pete chuckles. "Yeah, but it's all for fun."

"Can you think of anyone who has a grudge against him? Maybe a guy whose girl he flirted with, got a little too friendly?"

"Everyone knows he's a little slow and that he'll do anything for a laugh. So no one takes him seriously."

"Do you know if he's ever had an affair?"

"Bernie would never step out on his wife."

"Did he and Jennie ever have a romantic encounter?"

"I don't think you'd call it that. It was more like an occasional booty call, back in grade school. Then Bernie met Pam and Jeanie was history."

They started early. "Do you know Frank Walsh, Louis Gomez, or Carlo's Rodrigues?"

"They'd come in at least 3 times a week."

"Is Bernie acquainted with them?"

"They used to pal around a lot."

"What about Max?"

"He's been in my bar a couple of times, stayed long enough for a quick drink."

Jerry's phone rings. Taking it out of his pocket he looks at his caller ID. "Thanks for your help."

"Sure, no problem."

Jerry lifts the phone to his ear. "Don't tell me there's been another murder. I'll see you in a few." Hopping in his car, he speeds away.

***

After greeting the detectives, Jeff begins explaining what they'd found. "Walter was lying face up in the dirt when we arrived on scene. Our ME says he has thirty-three stab wounds to his upper torso and blunt force trauma to the back of his head."

"What's his time of death?"

"According to the dried blood, body temp, and amount of decomposition, I'd say he's been there since noon. The perpetrator added a few personal touches. I'm not sure if it's to humiliate him, or to send us a message." Jeff points to Walters's half-naked body. "A dress was draped over him." Jeff lifts up a small clear package. A light pink garment is inside.

Walter is wearing a blond pigtailed wig. Each side tied with large red bows. His lips are perfectly colored with bright red lipstick, and his cheekbones are accented with a light pink blush. He has tiny scribbled across his lower abdomen with an arrow pointing towards his manhood.

Tiny is right. "Since our attacker added so many details, I'd say it's a little of both. See if you can trace the wig, makeup, and dress. Be sure to check his body for prints," Joe instructs.

"Will do, Sir."

"I was told we have a witness?" 

"His neighbor, Mrs. Bennet, I'll get her for you." He walks away.

"I don't know any man who applies makeup that well, Jerry," Joe says, inspecting the body.

"Me either, Boss." They see an older woman heading towards them.

"Hopefully she can give us something."

"I hope so, Boss." Jerry glances across the yard, looking for clues.

"I heard you're a witness to the crime," Joe begins.

"I didn't see the crime, but I did see Walter's only visitor come in and leave."

Joe takes his pen and notebook out of his pocket. "Can you describe him for me, please?"

"It was a young lady. She has short brown hair and a pale complexion."

"Do you know the make of her car?"

"Yes, it's a 1990 dark blue Dodge Neon. My son has a car just like it."

"What time did you see her?"

"She came in around 11 and left about an hour later."

"Can you remember anything else?"

"A license plate number would be helpful?" Jerry adds.

"It was an Arkansas plate, but I didn't get the number."

"Can you think of anyone who'd want to hurt him? Maybe he mentioned being threatened?"

"I can't believe anyone would want to hurt that dear man." She wipes tears from her cheek.

"If you think of anything else call me, alright?" Joe hands her a card.

"I will." She tearfully turns towards her house.

"I ran the description and there are a few people who own a1990 dark blue neon." Jeff hands his tablet to Joe.

Joe quickly scans the page. "Start narrowing down this list. Jerry, I want you to find out all you can about Walter. I'll talk to Mr. Crandall and Mrs. Brown."
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.