General Poetry posted January 22, 2018 Chapters:  ...444 445 -446- 447... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Amphribach Trimetered Stanza, with Anapestic Envoi

A chapter in the book Little Poems

The Wind Sings the Bugle Song

by Treischel



Whenever I hear the sad sound of the bugles
play taps by the flag as the sky loses daylight,
I'm touched by the feeling of rev'rence that it brings,
of souls that have fallen in far off past battles,
who drift on the sound, like some ghosts in the twilight.
"I lay here today for your freedom," the wind sings.

ta ta da-a
ta ta DA-A-A
ta ta da
ta ta da
ta ta D-A-A-A-a-a





Although there were no bugles in this image, the flags convey my sentiments. The impetus of this poem was the meter. I was seeking to come up with a rolling concept, and the flags flowing in the wind sparked my muse. I thought it was interesting to capture the moon with the sun very low in the sky as well.

The stanza is written Amphribach meter.
Amphribach is a trisyllabic foot (3 syllables per foot), the arrangement of the syllables of which is short, long, short in quantitative meter, or unstressed, stressed, unstressed in accentual meter. Due to its nature, this meter lends itself to feminine rhymes. It is the main foot used in the construction of the typical limerick, as in "There once was / a girl from / Nantucket." Notice that was 3 trimetered feet. Some books by Dr. Seuss contain many lines written in amphibrachs, such as these from "If I Ran the Circus:"

All ready / to put up / the tents for / my circus.
I think I / will call it / the Circus / McGurkus.

In mine, I went with a 4 foot (12 syllable) meter to achieve a rolling, flowing. Then in the evvoi, I used an anapest trimedtered approach.

This picture was taken by the author himself on January 14, 2017.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.