Fantasy Fiction posted January 5, 2018 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nara arrives at the Children's Ranch and is shown around.

A chapter in the book Legend Chasers

Back at the Farm.

by davisr (Rhonda)

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Nara Baker arrives at the children's ranch where she will serve as House Mother and history teacher.
End of Chapter 1:

Hank didn't answer, but rolled his window down and called out to the old man Nara had seen earlier.

"Riley, get in the back. Mrs. Eddins told me to bring you with me."

"You can't take him with us." Nara protested. "He's a drunk."

"Naw, Riley ain't no drunk, Sweetie, he's just a little confused."

"Does he live on the ranch?"

"Most of the time. He's our handyman."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Nope, old man may be a bit nutty, but he's good with a wrench."

"This is going to be an interesting job," Nara muttered.

Why had she left her position as a Nanny in New York City? She was well-paid and treated with respect.

Oh yeah, Nara thought, she was supposed to be healing a broken heart and shattered life in the warm sun of west Texas. She didn't feel she was off to a very good start.

Hank drove off again, old man in tow and young lady clawing at a broken hand-rest.


Chapter 2

"This is your room," Hank said. He placed Nara's dusty luggage inside a surprisingly charming room.

Nara looked around and saw a cozy bed, complete with a fluffy pink comforter, and stacks of pillows she could imagine sinking into. The floor was covered in soft pastel carpet, and on the walls were several landscapes so detailed they could have been photos.

"Who painted these?" Nara asked. She walked close to one and let her fingers brush the surface in silent admiration.

"A local artist," Hank replied. "Do you like them?"

"I do, they're exquisite. Are they portrayals of scenes from this area."

"Yes'm. The one with the longhorn bull pawing the ground is our own, Mr. B."

"Mr. B? What's the B short for, Bull?"

"No, Ma'am, Bastard. If you wander into the cattle pasture, you might want to watch out for him."

"That shouldn't be a problem, Hank, but thanks for the warning."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Well, I appreciate your helping me in, and for the brilliant tour of the facility. I now know where to eat, do my laundry, and borrow a car to go to town. You've been most accommodating."

"I try to be. Don't forget there's a barbeque tonight in the outdoor commons. You can meet the rest of the faculty and students there. Grubs pretty good, too."

"What time does it start?"

"Oh, about an hour before dark. You'll know when you hear the guitars and fiddle crank up."

"Really?" Nara's word was simple, but the sarcasm was deep. Could this place get any more yokel?

"Yes'm."

"Please stop calling me Mam. I'm clearly no older than you."

"Just trying to be polite..."

"Like your mama taught you?"

"You don't like me much, do you?"

Nara paused from viewing the room and looked Hank directly in the eyes. For the first time, she noticed they were a deep, sort of sapphire blue that drew her in like the painting on the wall had done.

"I don't know you well enough to decide whether or not to like you."

"Well, folks around here like a person first, then let their opinions develop as they get to know them."

For the first time, Hank's passive face betrayed emotion and his voice took on a cool crispness.

"I stand corrected."

"You're fine," he said, lowering his eyes. "See you at the barbeque, then."

"I'll be there. Will the old man from town be there as well?"

"Yes, uh, Nara. He'll be the one on the fiddle."

Suppressing a shudder at the old man's expense, Nara opened her suitcases and began putting her things in the dresser. She listened as Hank closed the door and walked away.

What was it about this sleepy old town that irritated her? She had come here for rest and reflection. Was it the town's fault she felt uneasy, or was it her own restless spirit? And, yet the whole place didn't add up. The exterior seemed dusty and dirty, while the room was almost pristine. The contrast didn't seem right.
In an odd sort of way, she couldn't help from hoping there was something more to this town than met the eye.



Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, "Cowboy Cleans Up Well" by Lilibug6. Much thanks, Lilibug!


Girl: Nara Baker: House Mother, History Teacher

Boarding School Director: Mrs. Barbara Eddins

Old Man: Riley Byrne - claims to be descended from leprechauns in Ireland, Handyman at the ranch

Young man: Hank - Job not yet stated

Rugged Saddles Boarding School - school in west Texas (mythical of course)

Sagerton: West Texas town Nara has come to live and teach in.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.