General Fiction posted December 26, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Practice for Writing Dialogue Between Two Brothers

Do You Remember When . . .

by D.F. Wood


"Hey, do you remember that time when we were at Grandma's and we ate all the cookies before anyone else had a chance?"

"Oh man, do I ever. We got in so much trouble over that."

"Yeah, and it was all your fault."

"Was not."

"Was too."

"Was not."

"Was too."

"It was NOT my fault! You're the one that grabbed the whole jar and brought it out on the porch."

"Yeah, but we got caught because you're the one who threw up in the living room."

"Yeah, but still, that never would have happened if you didn't bring out the whole jar."

"Maybe. Man, Grandma always made the best cookies."

"What about that time out at Aunt Sadie's farm and we got into the watermelon patch?"

"Oh my God! We both got so sick that time."

"I know. We busted one open and took a few bites, and it wasn't ripe enough. So, we busted open another one and it wasn't ripe enough either."

"Man, were we ever stupid back then. Why didn't we figure it out that if two or three of them weren't ripe, none of them would be ripe?"

"I don't know. Wow, I could not believe how many we actually broke open."

"I know. Mom knew something was up when we sat down at the table and we both said at the same time, 'My stomach hurts, I don't want to eat.' "

"And that's when Aunt Sadie bursts out, 'Must have been all that watermelon y'all ate.' "

"How did she know?"

"I don't know, but when Mom went out there and saw all them busted watermelons, holy cow."

"Yeah, and then she made us clean it all up. She didn't even let us go lay down first."

"I know, my stomach hurt so bad. I didn't think we were ever gonna get it cleaned up."

"I thought I was gonna die."

"Me too, especially when Dad got there."

"Oh, for sure. When he pulled into the driveway and saw us in the melon patch, I knew we were dead."

"I could not believe Dad laughed after we told him the whole story."

"Yeah, and then he got in trouble too when Mom saw him laughing."

"Ha, ha, ha. Man, that was funny."

"You know, I don't seem to like watermelon as much as I used to."

"Me either."



Recognized


I purposely displayed all quotation marks as I want to be reviewed for proper use. Please note I would especially like feedback on the quotation inside a quotation, to see if I did it correct.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. D.F. Wood All rights reserved.
D.F. Wood has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.