General Fiction posted December 6, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The past is always present.

An Extended Walk

by howard11

"Did you hear that?" An agitated Donna tried to keep her voice down.

"Quiet." Jerry quickly closed the cracked bathroom door and turned to his sister. Her hurt and anger were growing rapidly. Moisture welled up in her eyes and a tear made a break on her cheek. He handed her a washcloth. "Here, wipe your face."

"Why did Mom tell Grandpa he had to leave?" Thirteen-year-old Donna threw the washcloth into the bathtub and raised her voice, "How can she be so mean to him?"

Jerry, at 17, soon to be man of the house, tried to sound more adult, "She must have her reasons. You calm down. We'll get answers at supper."

"I don't think I can wait. Anyway, she's still going to kick him out." Donna's reaction was predictable. Having gone through her father's departure when she was nine, the pending exile of her grandfather was doubly upsetting. For four years, he had provided adult male perspective to her and Jerry's lives.

"About an hour and a half before we eat. Go to your room and do your homework. I'm going to study my Spanish for tomorrow's test. We both need to concentrate on our work and discuss Grandpa later."

Brother and sister headed for their rooms.

Later, around 6:30, Gloria Hinton's beef goulash was finished cooking. "Kids, dinner is ready. Wash up and come down. And leave phones upstairs."

Jerry stuffed the Spanish book into his backpack and exited his room. "Estoy lindo. I am ready!" Donna met him at the top of the stairs and he cautioned her on the way down, "Wait until we've finished eating. That way, you won't be banished to your room for bad table manners and I can eat in peace."

"Okay. But don't you leave me alone."

At the table, Donna ate like someone was going to steal her food. Short of 30 silent minutes, she stood, grabbed her empty plate, and headed toward the sink, "Great goulash. I'll be right back."

Gloria turned to her son, "What's going on?"

"We heard you tell Grandpa he had to leave tomorrow. Donna's awfully upset and a lot madder than she looks."

"Well, son, I'm the adult and the decision is made. It has to happen."

"Mom, she just wants an explanation. She's a teenager now and teenagers always want answers." Jerry added, "It's in our nature."

Donna returned to the table and sat down abruptly. She took a breath and tried to remain calm, "Mom, how can you be so mean to Grandpa?"

"Wait a minute, young lady. I'm not doing it to be mean. I'm doing it because I love him."

Answering words were louder and reflected youthful urgency. "He's your Dad. It's awful to send him to an old people's home. People die all the time in those places. You wouldn't do this if you really loved him!"

"Donna Sue, stop right now!" Invocation of a middle name was assertion of adult authority. Both children understood. "Jerry, go get your sister a cup of hot chocolate. We ladies will quietly relax while you're getting it."

"Sure." He was happy for a break in the action.

A few minutes later, a subdued Donna sipped the chocolate under a marshmallow island.

Gloria maintained control of the floor. "Listen. Dad is not going to an old people's home. Peaceful Meadows is like a nice hotel with 24-hour medical help available. He is almost 83 and his physical problems are getting worse, especially his kidneys. Also, he has started to hallucinate and talk to himself. His eating and sleeping schedules are erratic. Our quality time with him is disappearing. The doctor said this is very unhealthy."

"You mean he's close to dying?" Donna's anger took a back seat.

"Not what I'm saying. For the last three nights, I've awakened to Dad talking loudly to various people from his past. All kinds of people, even his first wife, Sharon, who has been dead for a very long time."

"I didn't know Grandpa was married before Grandma," Jerry's curiosity was raised.

"Oh yea," chimed in Donna, "Grandpa told me Sherry was his first love. We were talking about Bobby inviting me to the dance and should I go. He said if I thought Bobby was a nice guy, I should give it a shot." Donna sipped more chocolate. "Grandpa said it was unusual to meet one's true love at my age, but it had happened to him. He and Sherry met when he was eight years old and their love was still alive."

"But what about Grandma. Didn't he love her?" Jerry was curious and confused.

Gloria was quick to answer. "Of course, he loved your grandmother. This whole thing about Sharon, I mean Sherry, reflects in-and-out memories, increasing hallucinations, and worsening body problems. I never saw anything but love between Mom and Dad."

"Grandpa said people can love more than one person in their life. But that the one true love stays stored in heart and mind because its memories serve to reinforce personal humanity. He said shared true love with its inherent unselfishness makes us the epitome of life on Earth. I didn't understand that last part. Still, he insisted that Sherry was coming to see him soon."

"Donna, my Dad is a confused old man, but I love him." Gloria wanted to end the talk her father's past, but her son was still curious.

"What happened to her?"

"Dad and Sherry grew up on neighboring farms in Nebraska. At 18, Dad joined the Army and soon got orders for Korea. Three days before he left, they were married. While he was at war, Sherry stayed with an older brother and his family. One night, the pickup they were in was hit by a train. The train knocked the truck into a lake. Sherry drowned and her brother died from injuries the next day."

"Man, that's sad." Jerry paused then asked, "When did Grandpa meet Grandma?"

"About 12 years later, Mom and Dad met at a dance for veterans. She often said it was love at first sight and he always was quick to agree. They married, then I and your Uncle Bob came along, and the rest is our family history." Gloria checked the clock on the wall. "It's getting late and we have to get back to the present."

"Okay with me. My science paper is not quite finished." Donna seemed satisfied.

Gloria sought to wrap up the meeting. "Once I realized the three of us would not be able to take care of Dad as needed, I had the doctor help me get a room in the clinic. I'm skipping work tomorrow to take him and get things settled. I'll be home after school. Any questions?"

"Can we visit him soon?" Jerry and Donna spoke in unison.

"I'll check out the place tomorrow and we'll all visit Grandpa Saturday. Now, finish your work and get ready for bed."

Twenty-four hours later, Gloria and the children once again sat at the supper table. "Peaceful Meadows is a very nice place. Dad was greeted like royalty when I took him. He seemed to like his room, especially the big flat screen TV. And I also saw the sly old devil wink at a nurse."

"Mom, you might be right, but tomorrow when we visit, I'll be checking it out for myself." Donna remained her grandfather's protector. "What time are we going to visit?"

"As soon as Jerry is back from the gym."

Munching his second ear of corn, between bites, Jerry offered, "I'll shower at the gym after the workout and will be home by 10, ready to go."

"That will work. For now, close your mouth and finish the corn. Then, you two clean the table and load the dishwasher." Orders given, Gloria departed for the living room, pouring then tasting, a glass of wine on the way. At the couch, she set the glass on an end table and exchanged it for a book. Lying down, she opened the book to her latest stopping off spot.

Dishwasher filled, Jerry and Donna debated playing video games or streaming a movie as they headed upstairs. "After you talk to your sweetie, let me know what you want to do," Donna knew how much he liked her.

"Kathy is a friend, not my sweetie," he said making for his room."

"Girl friend!" Donna was still smiling as she entered her room. "It might be true love," she whispered.

Subsequently, in the living room, Gloria had just completed a second chapter when her phone rang. The caller ID read Peaceful Meadows. After she identified herself, a Sgt. Rogers told her that her father, George Calhoun, had disappeared from the home. He told her not to worry because department personnel were out searching the surrounding area.

"Are you sure he's not still in the building?" She was scared, in disbelief, and wanted answers. She listened a couple of minutes then ended the call, "OK, we'll be here."

"Jerry, Donna, come down here." She was louder than usual and both quickly joined their mother." She sat them on the couch and took a chair opposite them, a fresh glass of wine in hand. "Something very disturbing happened. Your grandfather disappeared from his new home. The police are looking for him and they are sending an officer here to tell us everything they know."

"What happened? Where is he?" Donna's voice was cracking.

"I really don't know much. Like I said, someone is coming to talk to us. Before they arrive, young lady, you must go back up and replace your pajamas with real clothes."

"What about Jerry?"

"Gym pants and t-shirt are fine. Now move."

Donna headed toward the stairs. As she started climbing she heard the doorbell ring and Jerry say, "I've got it."

Jerry escorted a uniformed policeman over to his mother. "Mom, this is Sgt. Rogers."

"Sergeant, please take the chair and I'll sit with my son. My daughter will be down in a little while. Would you like a coffee or something?" Gloria settled with Jerry.

"No thank you, Ma'am."

Amenities completed, Gloria sought answers, "Please tell us what happened."

"Yes, Ma'am. First, I want to emphasize we don't suspect any foul play."

"Thank God." Gloria felt a tinge of relief.

Rogers flipped opened a small notebook. "About 5:30, two residents saw Mr. Calhoun on a garden path with a young woman. They described her as in a blue dress, medium brown hair, late teens to early 20s. Your father and the girl held hands while strolling and talking sociably. No duress was shown by either before they disappeared down the path. That was the last anyone saw Mr. Calhoun. He was a no-show for dinner."

Donna, on her return, had stopped at the top of the stairs. No need to go any further. She had heard most of what Rogers had said. She was happy that Grandpa was happy.

Gloria wanted to know more, "Anything else on who the woman was?"

"Mrs. Hinton, we had hoped you and your children could be of some help there." Rogers flipped a page. "Approximately an hour prior to the path incident, a young woman approached the front desk and requested to visit Mr. Calhoun. The receptionist informed the young woman evening hours were after dinner at 7:30 and she would have to wait."

"Same woman?" Jerry wanted clarification.

"Descriptions matched. Same age span, brown hair, and a blue dress. Getting a closer look, the receptionist said the dress was a little old-fashioned and recalled a cameo necklace. She also thought she noticed some recent cuts and abrasions on the woman before she left." He closed the notebook. "Does it sound like anyone you or your father knows?"

"No sir," answered Jerry.

"No one," followed Gloria. "But Sgt. Rogers, it's important to remember Dad has been hallucinating recently."

"Yes ma'am. The clinic briefed us on his current condition." Rogers stood. "Well, that's all we need right now. "We're checking public transportation in the neighborhood and knocking on a lot of doors. We expect fast results with a positive outcome. We'll keep you abreast of what's happening."

"Thank you. Jerry, see the sergeant to the door. I'm going to check on your sister."

Donna confronted her mother at the top of the stairs. "You don't really think they'll find Grandpa, do you?"

"Of course he'll be found." Gloria hugged her daughter. " You don't need to worry. You'll see him again."

"None of us will see him again," pronounced Donna.

"Don't be so negative," Jerry had joined his sister and mother on the landing.

"Am I the only one who pays attention in this family? Twenty years old and an old-fashioned dress. Really people, cuts and bruises." Donna was excited, " Grandpa said Sherry would be coming to see him soon. He just didn't tell me he would leave with her."

Jerry looked at her in disbelief, "Are you crazy!"

"I don't think so. And for the record, I don't think Grandpa and Sherry will be using public transportation to get where they're going."



This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry


Huge brain capacity equals huge storage space equals many memories.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. howard11 All rights reserved.
howard11 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.