Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 29, 2017 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Howard's pick up the pieces of their shattered life.

A chapter in the book Demons in My Head

Happily Ever After

by Mistydawn


Jerry is sitting at his desk. Joe is standing behind him. They'd just finished reviewing a security tape from Stan's house for the third time. Joe looks over at Jerry with a puzzled look on his face. "This isn't attempted murder, it's self-defense."

"I know, boss."

"Why didn't Katie tell us what really happened to begin with?"

"I don't know."

"I want to see her immediately."

"She's in interrogation room one."

"Thanks, Jerry."

Joe sees Katie resting her head on top of her arms when he storms into the room. "I'm done playing games with you." He stomps towards her.

"What games? I'm not playing any games," she sleepily replies.

"You're not telling us the truth about what took place at your father's house."

"I did tell you the truth."

"Why didn't you tell us you hit Stan trying to protect your sister?"

"Katelyn wasn't there."

"We have a surveillance tape that proves she was."

"Tape, what tape?" she nervously questions.

"The one from your dad's security system. It shows that he was about to shoot Katelyn when you hit him over the head."

"That's not what happened at all. I hit dad out of anger for what he said about my girls."

"Why does the tape show something different, huh, why?" Joe slams his fist on the table.

Katie jumps back.

"Admit it, Katie! Go ahead, say it! Say that you saved your sister from being killed," Joe screams in Katie's face.

Katie bursts into tears. "Ok, I did it, I saved my big sister from being killed."

"Why didn't you tell us this in the beginning?"

"I...I didn't want Katelyn to go back to prison." She wipes tears from her face.

"Why would she go to prison?"

"For violating a restraining order. See, she's not allowed to get within 500 feet of my dad, but she insisted on going over anyway, claiming it's part of her recovery. Dad got irate and threatened to shoot her. I picked up his statue and hit him on the head. I wasn't trying to kill dad, honest I wasn't. I only wanted to stop him long enough for us to get out of his house. Oh, why couldn't he just forgive her, why?" she bawls.

"I need for you to write down everything you just told me. Be sure to include your intent." Joe scoots the pen and paper towards her.

"Why does it matter? My father is fighting for his life and it's all because of me," she sobs.

"If you hadn't hit him, both you and Katelyn might be dead." Seeing a frightened look on her face he continues, "So wouldn't you rather hurt your father than die?"

"I...I guess."

"Write down everything you just told me and I'll see if I can get the DA to drop all charges."

Nodding, she picks up the pen.

Rachel sees Jerry tapping away on his computer when she walks into the station.

"Whatcha working on, Jerry?"

"You'll never believe what we just found out."

"What, Jerry?"

"Katie hit her dad to protect her sister."

"What did our DA say about that?"

"What did I say about what?" Larry asks, walking towards them.

"The new evidence and Katie's recanted statement."

"We've reviewed the tape and heard her confession."

"And?" Rachel impatiently asks.

"Her belief that Katelyn was in imminent danger justifies her actions."

"So you're dropping all charges?"

"Yes."

"I'll let Joe know," Jerry says, scooting away from his desk.

***

Katelyn is released from the hospital a week later.

Madeline is glad she's home but worries about her vicious cycle starting all over again. Trying to keep her daughter out of trouble, she asks Katelyn if she'll deliver her paintings to local businesses. Thrilled about her mother's success, Katelyn happily agrees.

Katelyn drapes her scarf around her face as she climbs out of the car. I can't believe it's gotten cold, so quickly. Pulling two large paintings out of her trunk she rushes across the parking lot.

A tall, thin gentleman steps out of the bowling alley, as she reaches for the door.

"Here, let me help you," he says, holding the door for her.

That voice sounds familiar. Katelyn glances up but doesn't recognize his face. Maybe I'm just imagining things. "Thank you," she replies, scooting past him.

"Did you create these beautiful pieces?"

"No, my mother did. I just deliver them to different shops around town."

"Your mother is a very talented artist."

"I'll tell her you said so."

"Tell her I'll be purchasing some of her paintings as soon as I get settled into my new place."

"I will, thank you."

"Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you too," she replies. Katelyn sees the owner watching their interaction as she steps into the hall.

"Do you know him?" Betty questions.

"I don't think so, why?"

"He was asking about you."

"He was?" Katelyn turns towards the door.

"Yeah."

Seeing he's out of sight, she turns back around. "Did he say what he wanted?"

"No, and I didn't tell him anything either, I didn't know if it was safe after everything that's happened to you. I did tell him you come in sometimes, so he gave me his number, asked me to give it to you." She shows her the small sticky note.

"I'll call him and see what he wants." She takes the piece of paper out of Betty's hands.

"If you decide to meet him, please make sure it's in a public place and bring your car in case you need to leave."

"I will, I promise."

"You really should tell someone where you're meeting and bring your cell phone. Oh, and have someone check on you throughout your little get-together."

"Anything else, Mom?" she laughs. Her constant meddling use to bother Katelyn until she discovered that Betty worked at the hospital she visited as a child.

"I know, I sound overprotective, but I'm only saying this because I love you. You're like my own child, Katelyn, and I don't want to see anything else happen to you."

"I know, I love you too." Propping the paintings against her leg, Katelyn gives her a big hug. Betty is one of the few who's stood by her through the good and bad.

"So what did you bring us today?" she asks, looking down at the paintings.

***

The stranger has been asking everyone he sees about Katelyn. People say they know her but refuse to give him details of her whereabouts.

I'll try one more business and call it a day, he thinks, walking through the door.

The restaurant is a small, homey place, just off the square. He can tell by its outdated furnishing and faded decor, that it's one of the few businesses that remains untouched by time. He smells delicious aromas lingering in the air as he brushes snow off his coat. I might as well eat while I'm here.

"Table for one?" a waitress asks.

"Yes."

"Follow me, please."

He starts to sit down when he notices the paintings hanging on their wall. "I've seen paintings like these all over town."

"She's one of our local artists. Her name is Madeline Howard."

"Madeline Howard?"

"That's right."

"You wouldn't happen to have a business card would you?"

"Here, take this one," Pulling a small white card from the painting she hands it to him. "I'll be back in a few minutes to take your order."

This could be the break I'm looking for. He pulls his cell out of his pocket and quickly dials Madeline's number. It goes straight to voicemail. I'll try again later. He hangs up his phone.

"Are you ready to order?" the waitress asks.

"I tried calling her but there's no answer."

"I imagine Madeline and Katelyn are out doing last minute shopping."

"So Madeline lives with Stan, her daughter, and son-in-law?"

"No, she only lives with Katelyn. Stan recently passed and Katelyn never married. The poor thing had a boyfriend once, but he left and she hasn't dated since."

"Really?"

"Sad, huh?"

"Very sad."

***

Madeline is scurrying around her kitchen preparing a Christmas feast when Katelyn walks through their door.

"Oh Katelyn, I'm so glad you're home. Katie is going to be here soon and I still have so much to do."

"Where do you want me to start?" she asks, grabbing an apron off a hook.

"Work on this casserole." Pulling a turkey out of the oven, Madeline glances at her daughter. "Can you imagine trying to have Christmas Dinner at our old apartment?"

"It'd be crowded that's for sure," Katelyn laughs.

"You understand why I did what I did with our house, right?"

"Of course, Mom, Katie needs the space a lot more than we do. Especially now that she's expecting twins. Besides, I like Katie's old house. It's small but cozy."

"You don't feel cheated, right?"

"How can I feel cheated when you gave me all of Dad's investments?"

"I just want to make sure you'll have enough money to buy your own house someday."

"Is that a nice way of telling me to get out?" Katelyn teases.

"No honey, not at all. In fact, I'm glad you're here and hope you'll stay for a long time. But I know there will come a day when you won't want to live with me anymore."

"That'll never happen," she replies, hugging her tightly.

Hearing a loud commotion coming from their front room, they turn towards the door.

"I think they're here." Madeline excitedly replies.

"Mom, are you back here?" Katie asks, opening the kitchen door.

"Wow, you've really outdone yourself this year," Katie exclaims.

"I had a lot of help," she says, squeezing her oldest daughter's hand.

"I'm not eating a single bite if she cooked it." She crosses her arms in front of her.

"Look, Sis, yams prepared just for you." Katelyn holds up a steaming pan.

Katie smells the sweet aroma of melted marshmallows as her sister moves it under her nose.

"I'll be more than happy to eat your share, Sis."

Katie's mouth starts watering as she surveys the delicious food. "It would be rude if I didn't eat a little something."

"I thought that might change your mind."

The three laugh.

"Oh Mom, before I forget, I was asked to give you this." Katie hands her a small envelope.

"What is it, honey?"

"Mrs. Johnson wants you to paint a picture of her grandchildren."

Madeline pulls out three school photos. "Does she want three separate pictures?"

"No, she wants the boys together. Mrs. Brown wants you to call her. She's hoping you'll paint a picture of her son in his military uniform. Oh, and the guy at the hardware store wants to know if you can paint a picture of his old homestead. I've written down a few more messages. They're in here somewhere," she says, searching through her handbag.

"That's your purse? It's so big, I thought it was a diaper bag." Katelyn laughs.

"You're funny. One day when you have kids, you'll understand why I carry such a big purse, right, Mom?"

"Actually, I didn't carry a purse, I carried a suitcase. Stan would always tease me about it. I said I had everything in it but the kitchen sink, so he buys me a small plastic sink." She laughs.

"Dad could be funny. Here it is, Mom." She hands her a wrinkled piece of notebook paper.

"All of these people want me to paint something for them?"

"That's what they said."

"Katelyn, there's someone here to see you," Bill announces as he walks into the kitchen.

"Are you expecting someone, honey?"

"No."

Curious, they rush out of the room. They see a tall handsome gentleman nervously standing on the porch.

Walking a little closer, Katelyn recognized his face. He's the gentleman that held the door for me, the one who's been asking for me around town. Fearful about what's going to happen, she turns back around. Seeing her family watching intensely she walks towards the door.

Who would search relentlessly for someone like that? Then have the nerve to show up at their doorstep unannounced on Christmas Eve, a bounty hunter? Why would a bounty hunter be looking for me? She cautiously crosses the room.

"I missed you more than you'll ever know. You are and always will be my one and only true love."

Katelyn is taken aback by the stranger's words. The only one that's ever said that to me is.... "John?"

"Yes, Katelyn it's me, your Johnny boy."

"Oh, John," she exclaims, tearfully running towards him.

John scoops her up in his arms. "I missed you so much, Katelyn. More than you'll ever know."

"I've missed you too. I've always hoped you'd come back for me," she cries, holding him tightly.

"I told you I would."

"It's been so long I thought you'd forgotten about me, about us, your promise."

"I'll never forget you, you're my one and only true love."

"And, you're my true love," she cries, hugging him again.

Getting down on one knee, he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small black box.

Madeline and Katie gasp. Seeing her mom tearing up, Katie drapes her arm around her mother's shoulders. Madeline glances over at her youngest daughter and smiles.

"I know I've been gone a long time, but there wasn't a moment that I haven't thought about you and every night I'd fall asleep wishing we could be together again. I love you, Katelyn, I've loved you since the day we first met and I don't want to spend another moment without you. I beg you, please Katelyn, please do me the honors and be my wife."

"Yes, oh yes," she cries.


I brought back a character that hasn't been mentioned since the third chapter. Is this too much of a shock to the reader? Should I mention him throughout the story?




Katelyn and John were married that spring and had a little boy in December. She was killed in a car accident, two years later.

Katelyn, honey I hope I've done you proud. Rest in peace, my dear friend, rest in peace.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.