Horror and Thriller Poetry posted October 29, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Potlatch Challenge-Anagram Poem

Sarcophagus

by michaelcahill

 
Midnight has struck ... and now is the hour;
and throughout the graveyard all's still in a hush.
On cue, tombs rip open, the stench wafting sour,
old wounds bleed anew, blood spews forth in a gush.
 
Spirits arise with thoughts pent up crass.
The joy of pure evil now howls and it soars--
hysteric'ly cackling with thoughts of things rash.
The night fills with terror as deviltry roars.
 
Ahhh ... trick or treaters, so cute as they hop
for candy and baubles  ... and maybe some cash.
But soon it will be their sweet heads we will chop,
and the treat will be our blackened tongues in each gash!
 
So, follow them closely, dear mum in the car,
for we're just kids too, yes'm, hardy har HARRRRRR!



 



Halloween Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized






"deviltry" is an ancient version of devilry ... eh, I just like it better. :))

sarcophagus: These are the words used in end rhymes taken from the letters of the title:

"hour, hush, sour, gush, crass, soars, rash, roars, hop, cash, shop, gash, car, har"

I DID use a couple three letter words, what the hell, I got an abab cdcd efef gg rhyme scheme out of it. Gimme a break. LOL

Topic: Write an anagram poem using one of the following words as your title : gravestones, ghostliness, broomsticks, apparitions, nightmarish, sarcophagus, frightening

The word you pick from the choices above should be your poem's title and the one from which you find other words to end each line of your poem.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist going with a spooky theme again since it's so close to Halloween. :)

Anagram Poem

The Anagram Poems are adopted from the word game puzzles found in several syndicated newspapers. Here's how you do it:

1. Choose a single-word title (longer words work better; aim for eleven letters).

2. Find as many words as you can within that title that contain four letters or more (one-, two-, and three-letter words are not allowed, they're too easy).

3. Write a poem with the same number of lines as there are letters in the title. Each line must end with one of the words contained within the title word, and the poem should address the idea in the title. No two lines may end with the same word. You may not add -s or -ing or -ed or any other suffix or prefix.

(The "s" I added in a couple words is IN the word, so it's okay)




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.