Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 21, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Support a writer-read a book!

Writing The Great Canadian Novel

by Dawn Munro


"Write while the heat is in you. The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron which has cooled to burn a hole with. He cannot inflame the minds of his audience." -- Henry David Thoreau

My comment on that quote by the famous writer himself? Thoreau ended a sentence with a preposition. (Lucky thing he's not a member of FanStory...)

I don't know why I can't come up with something like Anne of Green Gables or Little Women. That's the dream. It's been said that writing is akin to pricking oneself with a pin and letting the blood drip, one word at a time, onto the page. I don't find it that way at all. It flows easily for me most of the time.

What is like opening a vein is editing. The minute I start looking for typos I begin fiddling with plot, characters, dialogue, and so on, until I am so sick of proofing the same book, I give up.

I have six novels on the go at present, three books of short stories, and several chapbooks. If you ask me, editing is sleeping on a bed of nails made of metal so it won't catch fire, and a nice, brightly-glowing pit of charcoal, holding the bed centered. I try to nap while new ideas keep claiming their brilliance and demanding to be written down. Notice I said nap--anything more than two or three hours is a miracle. Finally, exhausted, I pass out for six or seven and awaken, only to fire up the computer and start the whole cycle again.

The process one must endure to make what is written worthy of being read is no less than torture. Anyone who believes writing is fun has never actually done it, at least not seriously.

What is worse is finding a venue to promote said writing. Whether a book of poetry, a novel, or a cookbook, everything we write must be marketed, and unless you are unbelievably talented, intuitive, and lucky--or independently wealthy--paying for advertising just isn't feasible. I won't tell you the figures college advertising programs quote as being standard for any ad or marketing plan that actually works with any degree of success.

Social media can help with marketing one's book, but it's limited in its reach because unless someone is specifically looking to buy what you are producing, the chances are slim you'll make a lot of sales.

Which brings me to this: why do we do it? There are many reasons, of course, but for most of us, it's a compulsion, something that can't be avoided, not unlike an addiction to drugs, except that drugs ease the pain for a little while. Writing only leads to more pain. 
I would explain, but already my fingers are becoming as numb as my legs and backside from sitting at my computer so long. Did you think I meant only emotional pain? Uh, uh--it's that, plus physical and social. Poor circulation doesn't only mean blood circulation.

You guessed it--I've been editing. Writing this was simply procrastination. Remember--I told you--the original stuff is painless. But... when even the cat says, "Flush it!" it's time to accept the inevitable. Nothing you do is ever going to bring in enough money to do more than buy a pizza once a year, or maybe a book.

When you finally do manage to leave your masterpiece alone, to finish the horrible job of editing and publishing, rewards come, surprisingly, not in fame, or even in dollars, but in words that warm your heart from folks you love and respect. Is there anything better?

THE ADVENTURES OF HERSHY, a Siamese Cat

100 pages
This is a transitional book, but really, it's a story for kids of all ages about a Siamese cat and the trouble it gets into. Hershy loves spaghetti sauce and adventure, in that order. Lizzie, the little girl who owns him, spoils him terribly, and her older brother is always having to rescue the Siamese. But when Hershy goes missing, the whole family is devastated.


Amazon reviews:

5 out of 5 stars
By Margaret R. Snowdon October 11, 2017
A story for kids of all ages indeed! What a treat! Dawn Munro is a talented story teller as well as a poet. The Adventures of Hershy is an enchanting story. Dawn has the power to draw you in right from the start and keep you turning the pages.

5 out of 5 stars
By Jacqueline M. Franklin on October 10, 2017
= This is such a heartwarming read.
= You will be very glad you got to know Hershy.
= Don't miss out getting your copy. Good stuff.

5 out of 5 stars
A fantastic children's book
By Mr M Fletcher on October 10, 2017
A brilliant book for children about the fun adventures of Hershey the cat and the scrapes and trouble it gets in along the way........fantastic


WILLOW AND PUCK, Big Trouble For Little Goats
(Illustrated) 24 pages
This is an illustrated story-poem, told completely in metered rhyme about two little goats who find themselves with a ridiculous problem. There's Mother Goat, Brainy Chicken, and Handsome Owl all trying to help, but will it be the lady Farmer who comes to the rescue?


Amazon reviews:

5 out of 5 stars
Kids love it
By Mr M Fletcher on October 10, 2017

One of my kids favourite bedtime books, fantastic characters and storyline.
Read it over and over.

5 out of 5 stars
By Margaret R. Snowdon on October 11, 2017
Albeit a book for youngsters, Willow and Puck is a most delightful read for those young at heart.
You'll want to read it through again - go on, treat yourself - you can always pretend it's for your
tiny tot (child or grandchild)

5 out of 5 stars
 Absolutely wonderful book for kids
By Jacqueline M. Franklin on October 10, 2017
= Absolutely wonderful book for kids!
= A must book for a great Christmas Present, -or- any occasion.


LIVING WITH GRACE, inspirational poems for daily living
(Illustrated) 72 pages

Amazon reviews:

5 out of 5 stars
By Margaret R. Snowdon on October 11, 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
I've been a fan of Dawn Munro’s work from when I first read one of her poems.
The sheer scope of her imagination, and the delicate weight of her style, has
made the discovery of Dawn’s writing one of the genuine joys of my reading-time.

5 out of 5 stars
I have never read anything written by Dawn that I did not enjoy immensely.
By Valerie on October 10, 2017
Kindle, Verified Purchase
I have been reading Dawn's poems for several years and she is one of my all-time favorite poets. I find her work uplifting and inspiring and superbly written. I would not hesitate to recommend this beautiful book to anyone looking for a truly positive view of life especially when feeling down.

5 out of 5 stars
By Mr M Fletcher on October 10, 2017
A wonderful book of fabulous poems that just pulls you in and takes you on the most wonderful spiritual journey.
One of the best books of its type I've ever read.

5 out of 5 stars
Emotional and satisfying read
By Literary Lady on October 9, 2017
The author has a deep, abiding faith that permeates her work. Reading poetry like this, you realize we are all connected both by good and bad. Each of us is guilty of both, but there is an unerring silver lining available to each of us. One of love, acceptance, compassion and forgiveness. We only must look for it and accept it into our hearts


JUST BREATHE
This is a poetic journey of heartbreak and romance.
38 pages

Amazon Reviews:

5 out of 5 stars
Wonderful Read
By Literary Lady on October 9, 2017
Love, infatuation, puppy love … loss, sorrow, anger – all of these emotions are touched upon by this poet. Heartbreak is hard to accept, let alone write about it with a degree of understanding and empathy. This book touches on all these emotions. Dawn Munro is one of my favorite poets - she takes everyday emotions and manages to make them understandable to all - even those that have not experienced some of the sorrows - or joys.
***Literary Lady's book, "Dancing With Demons" received a 5-star review from the New York Journal of books!***
~~~
5 out of 5 stars
By Amazon Customer on October 17, 2017
Paperback, Verified Purchase
I have to think that one could not write with such sensitivity these many poems of a love lost. Each one shows such passion, hurt, pain, and the longing for another chance. It stirs the reader to recall if there was ever a similar time and relationship. After each poem, this reader took her advice and just breathed so that I could appreciate the angst each poem conveys. I look forward to reading more of this writer's brilliant work. -Bill Stephenson, PhD
~~~
5 out of 5 stars
Took my breath away
By Mr M Fletcher on October 10, 2017
The trials and tribulations of love are represented brilliantly through the different styles of the poems.
The elevated poetic language, personification, analogies and imagery makes this such an excellent read.
Poetry we can all relate to.
~~~
5 out of 5 stars
Just breathe ... will inspire you!
By Sharyn Stone on October 14, 2017
Dawn Munro's voice is that of a deft poet who never lets that deftness dilute her raw emotional voice. She writes mostly in strict metrical form, which in lesser hands could become predictable or self indulgent - but in Dawn Munro's hands becomes music for the senses. Who could not stop to wonder at, and appreciate, the sensory feast of "the fragrance of a rose on autumn wind"? She tells you upfront that this will be a journey through heartbreak - but never does she allow that journey to become a maudlin descent into self pity and self flagellation. Self doubt, perhaps ... but we've all been there. And if we're willing to be inspired, then this author's raw honesty and compassion will certainly inspire! We close this small book with a soft sigh, and a whispered 'thank you'. It was a privilege to share her journey.


These are just a few of the reviews I have received on four of the books I have published since joining FanStory--there are six more books, and at least a dozen more to come within the next year. While none are 'the Great Canadian Novel', I'll content myself with words like, "One of my kid's favorite bedtime books...read it over and over...", or, "You can always pretend it's for your tiny tot...", or "I look forward to reading more...", or "...recommend this beautiful book to anyone looking for a truly positive view of life...", or "The author has a deep, abiding faith that permeates her work." And finally, (but not all), "It was a privilege to share her journey".

That kind of reward is one that lives on. (Hey, if Henry David Thoreau could end a sentence with a preposition, so can I.) *smile*
~~~



Share Your Story contest entry

Recognized


"Writing a book is like crossing the Sahara on foot; seeing the result is like stumbling upon an oasis."-- D. Dawn Munro

Henry David Thoreau : July 12, 1817 - May 6, 1862. American essayist, poet, philosopher, abolitionist, naturalist, tax resister, development critic, surveyor, and historian. A leading transcendentalist,Thoreau is best known for his book Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience (originally published as Resistance to Civil Government), an argument for disobedience to an unjust state. - Source: Wikipedia
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dawn Munro All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dawn Munro has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.