Family Non-Fiction posted October 17, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
As my children get older

My Hope

by GWHARGIS

Each year my children get older, more independent, and more in touch with their future. And I get less concerned of my future. I've had children in my life since I was 22 years old. I'm 56 now. My youngest is 15. My oldest is 33.

That's a lot of years being Mom. I have loved every minute of it. There really wasn't one stage of their lives that I didn't enjoy. And my kids were all very different from each other.

Eric, my oldest, behaved above reproach, did well in school until his junior year. Quit school his senior year, worked, fell in love, had two kids, went and finished school, joined the army. Became a medic. Pulled 9 years in the Army. Now he's in college and has 4 kids.

Tracy, a part time model, going to school to be a cosmetologist, was diagnosed OCD at 4 years old. She was a tough kid to raise before we knew what we were dealing with. She's stubborn as hell, but is in love with life.

Keirry, is 17. She's my sensitive one. She was allergic to everything when she was younger. Had her ups and downs with depression and resented living in her older sister's shadow. She is my art lover and poetic child. She and her sister have since reconciled.

Ty, my youngest, is my basketball player. Once he realizes how good he really is, there will be no stopping him. But he was born with Hirschsprung's disease. He's had an eating disorder since he was 3. He's smart but undisciplined when it comes to school. He's artistic, but says art is stupid. He is my kid who gets away with the most.

They're all different, but I love them all the same. I don't have a favorite. Each one challenges me in their own special way and warms my heart.

We've always lived on a shoestring budget. It's our lot in life. Family vacations were very rare. Going to the movies happened once a year if at all. We would go out to dinner or do Chinese takeout for a birthday. Life was kind of no frills for many years. My husband and I always made sure they had the necessities, and whenever possible, a little extra.

I hope my kids will look back on their childhood with fondness. We were living at poverty level several years. I've depended on the local food bank and the annual shoe drive from time to time. But there was never a shortness of love in our family.

When things got tough, we huddled together and kept each other going. I hope that they will remember what we had and still have and not what we didn't have.

Our cupboards may have been bare and their clothes may have been handmedowns but there was always plenty of love.

I hope they will remember that.




Just another sappy post. Family is irreplaceable. Good, bad or otherwise, you only get one.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.