Humor Fiction posted September 29, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One night during marriage is described.

A Glimpse Into Married Life

by Brigitte Elko
















Darkness envelopes me like a shroud of dew and my eyes become leaden as sleepiness creeps over my aching body. The day had taken its toll with unending jobs to do without a break. Blessed night, finally, you have come to offer relief from the stresses of the day.

I almost crawl but manage to stagger into our bed and make myself comfortable next to my husband who is already asleep. It doesn't take me very long to begin drifting into the slumber that I had been anxiously awaiting.

Then it comes...the resounding and repeating noises of his ferocious snores and almost feral sounds. Startled, I plug my ears. My fingers dig deep into my ear canal. How long will this last this time? I wonder.

Eventually, blessed silence...you must be in a state of peaceful slumber now. I breathe a sigh of relief. Do I dare close my eyes again? I am finding it difficult to stay awake.

Quietness begins to settle around me as I squirm into the well-worn cocoon in the mattress. The warmth within that familiar spot invades my bones and this mind and body begin to succumb to the creeping sleepiness. Dreamland is near, I can feel it or,maybe,it is just wishful thinking.

Starting to relax is a huge mistake. It did not take long to be interrupted, once more, of what I need most, sleep. Sleep was not to be at this time. The man next to me kicks out with a viciousness that is frightening and not altogether harmless. Thrashing while sleeping is something unknown to me.
I move over. How can I soothe that man, my dear husband, who is not enjoying a peaceful slumber judging by his restlessness? Ever so gently, I nudge that man whose bed I share...to no avail.

Cursing softly, I turn away from him ,who in his restless sleep, has roaming hands that slide over my breasts. The time for fondling isn't now when daylight is dawning. This would be welcome at any other time for his caresses have always been welcome and endearing. Now though, I want to sleep away the aches and trials that day had brought. The chance for dreams and rest is stripped from me. My temper flares as I watch him lying in bed without a care in the world.

Then come the snores, again. How can those ungodly sounds not wake you too? You sound so savage and kick like a beast unleashed. You are so gentle during the daylight hours showering me with kindness and kisses. Yet, at his moment, I feel like strangling you. Your noises echo and disturb the stillness of the night. Your gentleness is hidden behind those god awful snores and sounds. Are you dreaming of a world unlike the one we share? Your thrashing is not peaceful to say the least. Are you running from beasts or vivid memories of days gone by? Are the ghosts of the past chasing you down?

Seconds tick by and minutes pass quickly. Horror of horrors, the hands of the clock have reached another hour. My mind is racing. Wide awake, I visualize a rope to bind your restless legs and a vice to tie your arms. Then, I imagine duct tape to cover your mouth which is gaping wide open as the sounds rush out. Again, the abrupt sounds reach my ears. As you quiet down, I ask myself how I could have such horrible thoughts. I love you so dearly, for better or worse.

The bed is calling for me, without a sound, as I look toward it. The steadiness of my own breathing lulls me into a sense of comfort. Is it possible? I listen.

All is quiet. I make the trip across the room to the bed, again. All thoughts of envisioned punishments forgotten. I kiss your cheek and smile. Next to my beloved, I seek the womb-like comfort between the sheets and next to you.

Lying there, I count my blessings and you are first on my list. I forgot quickly how annoyed and angered I had been and mentally give myself a slap on the cheek.

Suddenly, this husband of mine is shaking me. He sits up and without hesitation looks me straight in the eyes and says:

" Honey, would you please stop snoring. You've kept me up all night and I really need to get some sleep."

I wondered to myself if a slap was in order.



















Sudden Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Surely, all of us have experienced someone snoring and are annoyed. This is fiction based on facts which are embellished throughout the story. This is a fiction story. I have not experienced a night quite like the one in the story. Yhank goodness that I haven't!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brigitte Elko All rights reserved.
Brigitte Elko has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.