Biographical Non-Fiction posted September 22, 2017 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Madeline gains control.

A chapter in the book Demons in My Head

Taking a Stand

by Mistydawn


Marge is rushing around her house trying to get to her shop on time. She owns a craft store on the square. She's usually there by now, but Rob woke up feeling a little frisky. One thing led to another and now she's running late. It'll be at least 9:30 before I get there, she thinks, glancing up at the small clock. Grabbing her purse off the kitchen table, she rushes through the house. She runs into Madeline when she steps onto the porch.

"Oh, my gosh, Honey, where in the world have you been? We've all been worried sick about you," Marge says, pulling her friend in from the rain.

"I went to see my aunt in Georgia," Madeline weakly explains.

"I wish you would've called and let me know where you were and that you're alright."

"You're right, Marge, I should have called and told you."

"Darn right you should've and If you ever do that to me again, so help me God..."

"Oh Marge," Madeline cries, falling into her friend's arms.

Feeling her best friend sobbing against her, Marge's anger quickly melts away. "It'll be alright, Honey. You'll see, everything will be alright," she soothingly replies, hugging her friend.

"I almost did it, Marge, I almost did it?" she bawls. Madeline's body starts trembling as she relives that horrid night. She remembers the cold darkness hovering all around her, enclosing her heart, her being, making it difficult to breathe. The way feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness soon follow, strongly reinforced by her inner voice. 

"You almost did what, honey?"

"I almost killed myself, I almost killed myself," Madeline sobs.

***

Joe, the Berryville Police Captain, and his three detectives are gathered around his desk. They're hoping that reviewing their case will help them come up with a new lead.

Joe has been with the department twenty-five years. His first five were spent on the street, ten years as a detective and the last ten as their Captain.

"So, we know that Madeline Howard was driving her car out of Berryville around 8:30 that night. Approximately twenty minutes later, her car takes a nose dive off of the bridge," Joe begins.

"Right, and our team confirms that her car didn't malfunction," Kirk says. He's been with the department twelve years. He spent five in their lab, two as a beat cop and the remaining five as a detective.

"Was she drinking?" Joe asks.

"Her friend Marge says she doesn't touch the stuff, and there isn't any evidence to prove otherwise," Jerry replies. He's been with the department twenty years, fifteen as a detective. He was Sergeant for nearly a year, but health issues forced him to step down.

"Since we didn't find her, we can assume that she hitched a ride out of town. The tip line didn't give us a single lead, so, we don't know who, or to where." the Sergeant states. Rachel has been with the police force twelve years, the last two as a Sergeant. She's married to Joe and they have two children together, Joe Jr. who will be five and Lizzy who turned two last month.

"We do know that she didn't use public transportation," Jerry says.

"What about her phone records, her social media accounts?" Joe questions.

"She doesn't have a social media account, but her cell phone shows the last call she made was to her lawyer and her last incoming call was by her friend, Marge. Both took place right before she left the house. When I asked them about their conversations, her lawyer said Madeline asked about Katelyn's case then about Stan kicking her out of their house. Her friend, Marge said that Madeline was planning on staying in the apartment above the garage. She said Madeline was originally planning on staying at their house but she talked Madeline out of it because of Stan's violent nature. Stan confirms that Madeline's suitcase and a few of her outfits are missing." Kirk explains.

Joe scratches his head. This is something both he and Jerry do when they're in deep thought. "Stan's alibi is solid?"

"Yes, Sir."

"So maybe she thought about her situation and decided to stay somewhere else. Does she have any family?"

"She's an only child and both of her parents are deceased, Boss," Jerry says.

"Does she have any distant relatives?"

"I'll look into it, Sir," Kirk says, running to his desk.

"Jerry, see if forensics has anything. Rachel, check on our tip line and our APB," Joe orders.

***

After twenty minutes of sobbing in her doorway, Marge was able to coax Madeline over to the couch.

"So, you've been at your cousin's in Georgia all this time?" Marge questions.

"I had to get away from it all, from them," Madeline cries, remembering the horrid things that her family had said. She understands why Katie said what she did. Her child felt hurt, betrayed, by the one person who's supposed to be there for her, to love and protect her. Stan, on the other hand, had no right to say what he did.

"You know that you can stay with me anytime you want."

"I know Marge, and I appreciate it, really, I do. It's just that with everything going on, I felt like I'd  suffocate if I stayed a moment longer."

"I understand, Honey. I'm just glad you're alright."

"Thanks, Marge," she says, over her growling stomach.

"Let's see about getting you into some dry clothes and get you something to eat."

"I am kind of hungry." Madeline's stomach rumbles again.

"I'd say you're more than a little hungry. You go upstairs and take a hot bath, I'll see about getting us some lunch."

Madeline starts to leave when she sees keys dangling from her friend's hand. "Oh Marge, I'm keeping you from something."

"It can wait."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive, now go."

"Do you think I should call Stan and let him know I'm alright?"

"Let asshole worry. Oh, but I do need to call the police and let them know you're here."

"The police?" Madeline gasps.

"Yeah, they've been searching for you for weeks."

"We can't tell them I'm back, we just can't," Madeline anxiously exclaims.

"Why not, Honey?"

"They'll want to know where I've been."

"Just tell them the truth, that you were visiting your family."

"How will I explain my car?" she nervously questions.

"You were upset and lost control."

"Do you think they'll believe it?"

Marge sees the worried look on her friends face. "Tell you what, we'll hold off on notifying them, alright."

"Thanks, Marge."

"Now go take a bath before you freeze to death."

***

"Katie honey, you better hurry if you don't want to be late for school," Stan yells, quickly piling breakfast dishes into the overflowing sink. This house has gone to pot since Madeline left. He scans the disaster area that vaguely resembles a kitchen.

He's tried hiring domestic help, but they always seem to quit within a few days. One lady stated that no amount of money is worth putting up with him and his unruly daughter.

Stan didn't think he's that bad. He has orders to follow, a list of things that need to be done, but what employer doesn't? Besides, his directions aren't too demanding, it certainly isn't anything Madeline wouldn't do herself.

"Come on Katie, you're making me late," he yells, glancing at his watch.

"I decided I'm not going today," she says, walking into their kitchen. Seeing that she's still in pajamas angers him even more.

"What do you mean, you're not going to school?"

"I just don't feel like it, alright?"

"No, it's not alright. You're going to march yourself back up those stairs and get dressed right now."

"I don't want to," she says, plopping down in a chair.

"Katherine Elizabeth Howard!"

"That's my name, don't wear it out."

Furious, Stan storms towards her. Grabbing a handful of golden hair, he tries pulling her out of her seat. Katie wraps her feet around its legs, hoping to hang on. Stan tugs as hard as he can. Katie and the chair fall to the floor.

"You're going to school, young lady," he says, dragging her out their back door.

"Help me, somebody, please, help me. Daddy's hurting me, he's hurting me," she screams, as Stan drags her across the back porch.

"What's going on over there?" a scratchy voice asks.

Stan glances up to see Mrs. Jones, the neighborhood gossip, standing on her back porch. That's all I need, miss busy-body calling the police. "You want to stay home, fine, stay home, flunk out of school, and be a loser like your sister." He splashes mud on his clean suit as he stomps towards his car.

"I knew I'd get my way." Smiling, Katie picks herself up. "Thanks, Mrs. Jones," she says, walking back inside.

***

Marge is warming up some soup when Madeline bolts through the door. Turning, she sees her friend is completely naked.

"Marge, Marge, something is wrong with Katie, I just know it. I have to go see her, I just have to," she quickly blurts out.

"You certainly can't go like that." Marge laughs.

"I'll get the car you get dressed, I mean..."

"I know what you mean, Honey. Why don't we just call her instead?" Chuckling, Marge picks up her phone and dials Madeline's house. Hearing it ring, she hands it to her friend.

"Katie honey its mom, how are you? He what? When? I'm coming right over."

"What was all that about?" Marge asks, removing their soup from the stove.

"Stan hurt my baby, he hurt my Katie," she exclaims.

***

Madeline sees Katie sitting on the couch when she storms into their house.

"Are you alright, do you need to go to the hospital?" she asks, quickly checking her over. Not seeing any injuries, she sits down beside her.

"It was awful, Mommy, just awful," Katie cries, falling into Madeline's arms. She's learned how to manipulate her mom by watching her sister, Katelyn.

"There, there, honey, it'll be alright. I'm here now and I'll make sure that he never hurts you again."

"I'm so glad you're back, Mommy, I'm so glad you're home," she sobs.

A few weeks ago you were hoping your mom would be locked up with your sister. I guess being daddy's little princess isn't as glamorous as you thought it'd be, Marge concludes, watching the two weep in each other's arms. "Are you ready to get a restraining order now, Madeline?"

"A restraining order?" Katie asks, pushing away from her mom.

"Yeah, it'll keep your father away from you two," Marge explains, sitting down beside them.

"I don't want to do that. It'd just kill daddy, I'd kill him," Katie sobs.

"He certainly can't go on hitting you guys either."

"Marge is right, Honey, we can't let him keep getting away with it."

"No, I won't do it, I won't."

"What if he hurts you worse next time?" Marge asks.

"There won't be a next time I know there won't."

"That's what I thought too, Katie, but there will always be a next time, and each time he'll be more violent than the last."

"I don't care, I'm not doing it."

"You can put a restraining order on him, Madeline," Marge suggests.

"I don't have any proof."

"Hospital records are all the proof you need."

"But I lied to everyone about my injuries."

"Any judge will see right through it."

"Please mama, please don't do this," Katie begs.

Madeline looks into her child's pleading eyes.

"Everything will be alright again if you come home, you'll see."

"It'll be alright for her, but what about you, Madeline? You have to consider your well-being too."

"You stay out of this, Marge. This is a family matter and it doesn't concern you," Katie yells.

"It most certainly does concern me, little missy. Did you know that your mom almost...."

"That is enough," Madeline screams. She sees Stan walking through the door when she glances up. All of his abuse, his harsh words comes flooding back, immobilizing her for a second.

"What the hell are you doing in my house, Madeline?"

"It's our house, Stan, and don't you forget it," she yells, stomping towards him.

"How dare you speak to me like that," he screams, bawling up his fist.

"Go ahead and hit me so I can claim self-defense." Smiling, she pulls a black revolver out of her pocket.

"No, don't do it," Marge yells, leaping off the couch.
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.