General Script posted September 6, 2017 Chapters:  ...62 63 -64- 65... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Scene at a road crossing

A chapter in the book Worlds

Skunk World 6

by Bill Schott


Two skunks meet at the shoulder of a two-lane black top road.

Skeemer: How ya doin', Skam ?

Skammer: I'm feeling rather 'scent'ual.

Skeemer: (
With an eye roll, and a dry response) Hardy har har.

Skammer: Oh, look! Is that not our cousin Skooter?

Skeemer: You referrin' to that red, white, and black pancake on the road there?

Skammer: Yes. I noted a slight overbite in that unpressed snout that is protruding above the matted flatness.

Skeemer: Well, he owes me money, so it only stands to reason he'd be smashed to a throw rug.

Skammer: Yes, rather. I surmise there will be no great 'scent'ament on your part.

Skeemer: I will miss my money dearly.

Skammer: Should we lift the poor chap off the thoroughfare and give him a de-'scent' burial?

Skeemer: You got a spatula?

Skammer: We might actually be able to peel him off the pavement like an adhesive bandage.

Skeemer: (
Flatly) Sure. Let's do it fast so's not to make it hurt.

The two skunks successfully remove the flattened carcass from the road
and toss it into the ditch.


Skammer: My, my. He must have been driven over a thousand times.

Skeemer: And re'scent'ly. When you're down and out everybody's a car tire.

Skammer: Yes. Perhaps you could have that immortalized on a t-shirt.

Skeemer: Yeah, sure. Hey, I just thought of a joke to go along with this situation.

Skammer: How can one find humor in this tragic event ?

Skeemer: It's how I cope with loss; like in this case of losin' all that money. Knock, knock.

Skammer: I refuse to be a part of --

Skeemer: Who's there? Well it sure as hell ain't Skooter.

Skammer: You are completely de'scent'sitized.

Skeemer: What's black and white and red all over? A newspaper. Guess what the headline is? Cars, one thousand, skunk, zero. Oh yeah, Skooter's in the obituary.

Skammer: Totally inappropriate.

Skeemer: Why'd the skunk cross the road? Well, he didn't really. So, I guess we won't ever know.

Skammer: May I give you my two 'scents' ?

Skeemer: I'd say no. Smell ya later, Skam.


The two skunks leave. Skeemer heads across the highway while Skammer watches across his shoulder, walking away from the road. There is a loud screeching sound. Skammer runs back to the road to see Skeemer on the opposite shoulder.

Skammer: Are you alright, dear boy ?

Skeemer: Sure. And now I know why the skunk crossed the road.

Skammer: To get to the other side?

Skeemer: (
Looking a bit disappointed) Well -- yeah.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.