Romance Fiction posted September 3, 2017 Chapters:  ...41 42 -43- 44... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dinner arrives. Now what?

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Dreizehn part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

When the table beside them had emptied and was ready for new customers; the two men who had been watching from the bar occupied it. Moments later, two men joined them.

Anderson sipped his vodka. "This place is busy."

Philip heaped a teaspoon with caviar and then placed it on a cucumber slice. "It sure is, and I predict it's about to get busier."

Jeff's napkin slipped to the floor. He bent to get it and lingered as he studied the men. When he sat upright, he nodded. "At least two are carrying and have backups," he mouthed.

Anderson nodded in acknowledgement.



TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 13 part 3

As Maxim set the dinner plates in front of Anderson, Philip, and Jeff, another man joined the four sitting at the next table.

"Thank you. Everything looks good." Anderson grinned. "I can't wait to begin."

"May I bring you anything else? Maybe more Beluga Gold Line?" asked Maxim.

"Thank you, but we're good," answered Philip. After Maxim left, he said, "I guess he didn't notice we haven't finished our first vodkas."

"I hope not." Jeff sipped his. "I wouldn't mind another pitcher of water, but it'd look suspicious."

Philip's eyes met Anderson's. "Any idea what happens next?"

"I figure nothing until we leave." Anderson cut his Arctic char and took a bite. "This is really good."

"Until then, we enjoy our meal," replied Philip.

After chewing, Jeff said, "This rib eye's really good."

"I can't believe you ordered steak. You don't get these choices just anywhere." Philip cut into his salmon.

"I'm a country boy, through and through. You two have forgotten your Texas roots, and Anderson, you own a huge ranch in Texas." Jeff shook his head. "You can't beat beef."

*****
After they finished the meal, Maxim removed the plates. "Would you like dessert or are you ready for the check?"

Anderson glanced at his friends, after they nodded, he said, "I need seven tiramisus delivered to my penthouse tomorrow late afternoon." He thought a moment. "Around five o'clock."

"Sir, I'm sorry, but we don't deliver."

"I'm sure, for the correct amount of money, you will." Anderson removed his fossil coral and blue topaz money clip and held it exposing cash. "I'm willing to pay. Please check with the manager." He watched Maxim complete his right-angle turn.

Philip's eyebrows rose. "What are you doing? You want to get robbed?"

"If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain. Right?" Jeff took a drink of water.

"That's correct." Anderson set the money clip on the table. "I'm forcing Ivan Kuznetsov to deal with me."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" asked Philip as he motioned toward the five men watching from the next table.

"You know I'm proactive instead of reactive." Anderson grinned as he watched Maxim head toward the table. "I'm sure he brings good news."

"We'll be happy to have seven tiramisus delivered to your penthouse tomorrow late afternoon. Is there anything else?" Maxim paused and waited for a response.

"Won't you need an address?" asked Philip.

"My manager says he knows where Mr. Sharp lives." Maxim placed in front of Anderson a black, leather envelope.

"I knew he would." Anderson touched the envelope. "I'll have this ready for you immediately." He picked up the clip. "My mother gave this to me." He counted eight hundred dollar bills and handed them to Maxim. "Oh, what the heck." He gave him two more. He glanced at his two friends. "Ready?"

The three men stood. As they pushed in their chairs, Anderson nodded at the table where the five men were seated. "Enjoy your meal. The food's great."

At the door, the gentleman dressed in a long, red coat and tall, black hat smiled as he held the door. "Thank you for coming and have a nice evening."

All three men nodded. On the sidewalk, Philip asked, "You definitely put on a show. How long do you think it'll be before we're followed?"

"Immediately, we won't even make it to our car." Anderson placed his hand on his concealed weapon.

Jeff glanced over his shoulder. "You got that right. They're right on schedule. How much time do you want to give them?"

"None. One, two, three," Anderson said in a low voice, as they turned in unison and pointed their weapons at the five men.







*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you Google Images for the money clip artwork. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.

First graders arrived Monday. LOL Tuesday we will get additional children. They're evacuees from Harvey. I'm sure they will need lots of love and understanding. I'm sure many of you had added this situation to your prayers, please continue.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.