Romance Fiction posted August 20, 2017 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson makes a phone call.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Dreizehn part ein

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Shana knelt beside the child. "I'm sure it won't take long. When we're done, I'll help you." She glanced at Helen. "Maybe Helen will let you help in the kitchen. I'll get you when I'm finished and then we can find the treasure."

"I think that's a great idea. You can play, oops, help wash dishes." Helen offered her hand.

Emily took the hand. "Can I put the soap in the water?"

"Yes, but remember you only need a little."

After they left, Anderson stood. "Ready to make our call? Philip found the number earlier."

Shana and Anderson went into the den. As Philip entered, he closed the door.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 13 part 1

Anderson dialed Ivan Kuznetsov's phone number. "I'll put it on speaker so you can hear."

Shana held her breath and fidgeted with her hands as she listened to the first ring and then the next.

"Breathe." Anderson grinned.

Finally, on the sixth ring a female voice said, "Hello, this is Anastasiya's Tea Room. How may I help you?"

"This is Anderson Sharp. I'd like to speak with Ivan Kuznetsova, please."

"What is this call in reference to?"

"It's personal. I'd like to speak directly with Mr. Kuznetsov."

"I'll see if that is possible." The phone went silent.

Anderson glanced at Shana. "We're not having much luck, are we?"

"Not really. What if he refuses to speak with us?"

He shrugged and then waited a few more moments in silence, before he said, "At least they could supply us with music while we wait."

The female voice broke the silence. "Mr. Kuznetsov said he'll be with you shortly. Thank you for waiting."

"We're making progress," whispered Anderson.

Shana nodded as a male voice spoke with a heavy Russian accent, "Hello. This is Ivan Kuznetsov. How may I help you? If you need reservations, my secretary can set that up."

"Mr. Kuznetsov, it's much more personal than reservations. I doubt you'd want your secretary involved with private affairs." Anderson paused and let his words sink in before he continued, "I know Joshua Colton, the curator, of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, has already contacted you about the Winter-Traum. I'm calling because I represent the family, who has paperwork verifying they own the painting. It was stolen during World War II. The family would like to make arrangements to have it returned."

"I fail to see how a lost painting is my problem," interrupted Ivan. The phone went dead.

Philip avoided eye contact. "That didn't go as planned."

"No, it didn't." Anderson leaned back in his chair and tapped the phone on his palm. "I feel like Russian food for dinner."

"Should I check with Jeff?" Philip removed his phone.

Shana's head was shaking. "I'm not going anywhere near that place, and neither should you."

"I'm sorry," said Anderson. "I'm afraid it's a men only night. There's no way I'd ever put you in danger. We need to make a big show in order to force Kuznetsov to deal with us."

"But..." Shana chewed on her lower lip. "But, won't that be dangerous?"

"Drew, Jeff, and I can take care of ourselves. We'll be safe."

Helen and Emily entered. Emily glanced around the room. "Are you finished with the meeting? I have to find that treasure."

Anderson nodded. "We are. If your first mate's ready, she can help you."

Shana stood and offered her hand. "Come on, sweetheart, let's find that treasure."

Emily took her hand. As they went through the doorway, Shana glanced back at Anderson.

After the two left, Anderson faced Helen. "Philip and I'll be at the dinner table, but we're going out for dinner after Emily goes to her room."

"I'll be discreet." Helen nodded.

Philip leaned forward. "Shana's worried about your safety."

"I think she's worried about all of our safety. Have you contacted Jeff, yet?"

"I've already texted him." Philip held up his phone. "He wants to know what to bring."

Anderson used a key to open a hidden drawer in his desk and studied the contents. "Think they'll have metal detectors?"

"If it's truly a restaurant, no." Philip raised one eyebrow. "But who knows what else goes on there."

"We should have the element of surprise. Just in case be ready for anything." Anderson lifted up a Sig Sauer P938 and studied it. "Don't forget your concealed weapon certificate, in case we're questioned."





*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident


Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father





Recognized


Thank you Google Images for the lovely artwork of a hand gun. I promise excitement is on it's way. If I'm not mistaken, things start happening in my next post. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.

I'm back to work. I can usually review only on weekends, so I apologize if I miss some of your posts. It's not intentional, simply not enough hours in the day. I must sleep sometimes or I get grumpy with my first graders. One week before the munchkins.
Students start on the 28th.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.