Romance Fiction posted August 13, 2017 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A phone to Kuznetsov is planned.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zwolf part vier

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

When Shana heard a man's laughter, she peeked from under a chair. "What are you laughing at?"

"Think a better question is what are you doing?" Anderson moved closer and read the banner. "Welcome to Pirate's Cove. Enter at your own Risk."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 12 part 4

"I'd like you to meet the notorious Lady Pirate Emily." Shana stood and bowed toward Emily. "I'm her first mate, and we're searching for hidden treasure." She held up a neon yellow, folded paper. "We just discovered our next clue. It was hidden in the dense jungle. We had to stay low so the dangerous hyenas wouldn't find us." She pointed at the three German Shepherds before she, again, faced Emily. "Do you think we need his help?"

Emily put her pointer finger by her mouth and tilted her head. "Think he can be trusted? He might be looking for the treasure to keep it for himself."

Shana laughed, before she could comment Anderson picked up Emily. "I think I'll just throw you to the hyenas and keep the treasure myself." He tickled the child.

"Daddy, no! It's me, Emily." She giggled as she lifted the eye-patch.

Jane walked over. "Should we continue the treasure hunt or take a break?"

Emily glanced around the patio. "I want to finish, but I want to show Daddy our surprise." Emily pouted. "Can we do both?"

"Why don't we take a short break?" asked Shana. "After that we can finish the treasure hunt."

Anderson set Emily on the floor. "Sounds like a plan. You can show me the surprise and then finish the treasure hunt. While you're doing that, I'll make some phone calls."

Emily ran into the kitchen. She returned with Helen carrying a plate filled with chocolate chip cookies. Helen glanced around the fully decorated patio. "I think we'd better enjoy these inside."

"I think you're right." Jane followed her. "I'll get the milk and glasses."

As Emily followed the two ladies, Anderson motioned for Shana to hold back. "After we eat cookies, I'm calling Kuznetsov. I'd like you to be there, so you know first-hand what he says."

"Thank you."

Emily ran back and grabbed her dad's hand. "Hurry up, slow poke."

Once everyone was seated, Helen offered each person cookies and Jane poured glasses of milk.

Anderson took a bite and looked at Emily. "How did you know chocolate chip was my favorite?"

She giggled. "Because it's mine. Mommy says we're just alike, so it had to be yours."

"Oh, I see. Well I guess she's correct." Anderson took another bite. "This is sure good. I wonder who made it." He faced Helen. "You outdid yourself with these cookies."

Emily set her cookie on the plate. "Aunt Helen only helped. I did all the work."

He raised his eyebrows, "Oh, I see," and grinned.

With a tilt of her head, Emily smiled. "You're teasing me, aren't you?"

"I am." He took a drink of milk. "Did you milk the cow too?"

"Silly, milk comes from the store."

"We need to get this child back to Texas." Anderson helped himself to another cookie. "She needs to spend some time on the ranch and learn where milk comes from."

Emily crossed her arms over her chest. "Mommy says Texas is boring, because there's nothing to do there."

Philip walked into the room. "I guess it depends on what you want to do. I enjoy Texas and the ranch." He winked at Anderson. "Isaiah has made the contacts you asked for and requested the documents."

"Good. I hope things will move along faster."

"I'm sure they will. He wants to talk with you about having an official from CPS speak with her to make sure our bases are covered."

Anderson nodded. "Have him set it up." He finished the cookie and the glass of milk. "That was a perfect snack." He pushed his chair away from the table. "Emily, can you finish your treasure hunt without your first mate? I need Shana's help making a phone call."

She pouted. "I guess, but it won't be as much fun."

Shana knelt beside the child. "I'm sure it won't take long. When we're done, I'll help you." She glanced at Helen. "Maybe Helen will let you help in the kitchen. I can come and get you when I'm finished."

"I think that's a great idea. You can play, oops, help wash dishes." Helen offered her hand.

Emily took the hand. "Can I put the soap in the water?"

"Yes, but remember you only need a little."

After they left, Anderson stood. "Ready to make our call? Philip found the number earlier."

Shana and Anderson went into the den. As Philip entered, he closed the door.




*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident


Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for the lovely artwork of a plate of chocolate chip cookies.. This post isn't overly exciting, I promise excitement is on it's way. If I'm not mistaken, things start happening in my next post. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.

I'm back to work. I can usually review only on weekends, so I apologize if I miss some of your posts. It's not intentional, simply not enough hours in the day. I must sleep sometimes or I get grumpy with my first graders. Student start on the 28th.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.