Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 11, 2017 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A ghost from Cody's past terrifies him

A chapter in the book Boiler Room

Section 2 - Part 2: Ghost Sighting

by Brett Matthew West




Background
Has Cody's worst nightmare from Hell become his reality? Can Sheriff Daniels keep him safe?
Last Time: Many things had happened to Cody at Sullivan Lake, including being shot by the Astatula Assassin while skinny dipping in one of the biggest scandals to ever rock the small town. He preferred not to be fricasseed by lightning there too. Cody knew it was time to get out of the water in the most highly expedited manner possible.


*********************************************************************************************
*********************************************************************************************


Thunder clapped loudly.

As they duck-walked to shore, Matt asked Cody, "Now what do you want to do?"

Shirtless, and barefooted like he almost always was, Cody stepped out into the brackish marsh at the edge of the lake. He noticed several egrets wade among the reeds and rushes . He grabbed his pullover from where it laid on the dry ground just beyond the marsh and yanked it over his head without toweling off.

"I've got five dollars in my pocket. Let's go get a couple Pepsis from Buck and Doe's," Cody responded as he brushed his blond hair into place with his hand to make it look more presentable.

"That's money you earned from recycling aluminum cans," Matt indecisively stated.

Always industrious, Cody had recycled aluminum cans almost since the day he arrived in Astatula. Collecting cans, and delivering his morning newspaper route, provided him what he liked to call his "play money".

"And, you're my best friend, so let's go," Cody insisted, saying, "I'll treat."

Buck and Doe's, the small, white stone shoppette that served the log cabins available for rent at Sullivan Lake, was owned and operated by Lynda Beckham. Outside the shoppette were three vending machines. One offered an assortment of cold sodas. The other two contained a variety of chips, cookies, crackers, and other assorted munchies. Inside, was a miniature grocery.

Cody and Matt hiked up the hill to where Buck and Doe's stood. They had frequented the shoppette countless times over the last couple of years since Matt first brought Cody to Sullivan Lake.

"I wonder if Lynda has anymore of those delicious moon pies she's always stocking away behind the counter?" Cody curiously pondered.

"They sure are good," Matt replied. Then, he quickly remembered, "But, you aren't supposed to eat them anymore because of your diabetes."

Cody shrugged Matt's comment off with a simple, "What Doctor Sturn doesn't know won't hurt her. Besides, they're my favorite snacks."

"And, if Sheriff Daniels finds out you've been eating sweets again when you're not supposed to he'll skin you alive!" Matt warned his friend.

"Or, I'll be grounded for life at hard labor with never ending chores to do," Cody laughingly agreed, "no way am I going to tell Dad anything about that, Matt. That's for sure. And, neither are you, right?"

"I'm not a tattletale," Matt defensively stated.

Inseparable peas in a pod, the boys shared many good times together. Even Cody's recently diagnosed Juvenile Diabetes was not going to hamper their spirits. As Matt shoved open the glass door leading into Buck and Doe's, Cody glanced off towards Cabin Number Three. The modest log structure sat in the middle of the half-moon row of cottages.

Immediately, he observed a ghost from his past. Simultaneously, a bolt of lightning streaked across the blackened sky. As it did, the sinister apparition Cody observed enter the cabin chilled him to the bone. All at once, he felt very queasy.

Cody's knees buckled and his head swam in a dizzying current. He reached for the top of the counter to prevent himself from collapsing in a heap onto the linoleum floor of the shoppette. Reality grabbed him in a vice grip and would not turn him loose.

Matt noticed Cody's peculiar behavior, and concerned for his friend, asked, "You okay, Cody?"

Terrified, all Cody stammered out was, "Earl Anthony Schroder!"

A bewildered, quizzical, expression creased Matt's face. Cody collapsed to the floor. Matt attempted to grab him and break his fall. Both boys went down. Cody whacked the middle of his forehead hard against the edge of the formica-topped counter on his descent. Blood oozed out of the gash the fall created. Stitches would be required.

(To Be Continued)

Word Count: 705

Book Word Count: 2,726


*****************************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************************


Cast of Characters:

Cody Schroder - Blond munchkin and central character of the story.

Matt Cochran - Cody's best friend

Sheriff Brock Daniels - Long time Sheriff of Astatula and Cody's Dad.

Lynda Beckham - Owner and operator of Buck and Doe's Shoppette at Sullivan Lake

Earl Anthony Schroder - Cody's biological sperm donor. Put Cody through a life of hellacious physical, mental, and sexual abuse before Cody was relocated to Astatula.

Astatula Assassin - Deranged mass murderer. Introduced in the first Cody Schroder book known as Astatula.

Doctor Maryanne Sturn - Cody's Pediatrician. Diagnosed his Juvenile Diabetes.

Various boys - Playing chicken fights in Sullivan Lake




Yes, we all love Cody. However, tantalizing tidbits. That's all I'm going to feed readers of this book. A little at a time. Perhaps five to seven hundred words a day. Just enough to wet your whistle. So, you will just have to check in often to find out what is happening with the Cody Schroder Express this time.






This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to complement all my Cody Schroder stories.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with all my Cody Schroder stories.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.