Romance Fiction posted July 25, 2017 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The next morning.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zwolf part eins

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Earlier this evening, Philip asked why this painting was so important to me when it wasn't to my father."

Philip nodded. "I did."

"I have a roundabout answer, but it's the only answer I have. My ancestors went through so much to make sure I had freedom and not have to live under tyranny. The very least I can do to repay them is to recover what was stolen." Shana wiped away tears in her eyes.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 12 part 1

Just as the sun rose the following morning, Shana stood at the patio door and stared out. Yesterday, a helicopter flew over this patio trying to figure out where to land. All of this over a painting. She turned as the elevator door opened.

"Good morning, Shana," Jeff said. "You're up early."

She blushed. "I'm an early riser. I guess I beat everybody else."

"I doubt that. Helen's already busy in the kitchen, and I'm sure Jane's busy too. I just stopped to get the dogs. Drew usually exercises them in the morning. Since he's gone, Kyle's here. Think you can do without Romeo for a while?" Jeff grinned.

"It'll be a sacrifice, but I can handle it," she teased as she rubbed Romeo's head. "Not sure he can."

Helen entered with a cup of coffee and handed it to Shana. "Would you like breakfast on the patio or dining room?" While she waited for Shana's answer, she asked, "Jeff, after you take the boys down, would you like some coffee?"

"I would, but I don't have time. I sure do enjoy your coffee. Can I have it to go?"

"Sure, just give me a minute." Helen left and quickly returned with a to-go coffee cup and handed it to Jeff. "Just the way you like it; little bit of cream and no sugar."

He accepted it with a grin. "This morning, I have a few extra things that need my attention. Can Philip let Kyle up when he returns?"

"I haven't seen him this morning. I think he's following up on some things for Drew. If he's not around, I can do it or I'm sure Jane will. Don't worry about it." Helen watched the three dogs carry their leashes to Jeff.

"Let me help." Shana held the coffee for him.

After Jeff finished with the dogs, he took the cup back. "I'll be around later this afternoon. These guys will return in about an hour or so." Jeff and the three dogs left.

Shana glanced at Helen and smiled. "I can let Kyle and the dogs up."

"Sorry, Drew doesn't want you answering the door." Helen glanced at the elevator. "That didn't sound quite right. It's for your safety."

"I understand. I guess I'll sit on the patio and drink my coffee." Shana paused. "I'll get King Lear and reread it. I haven't read it since high school."

Helen laughed. "I never did make it all the way through any of Shakespeare's plays."
*****

Shana opened the paperback book and stared at the pages. King Lear banished his daughter, Cordelia, because she loved him enough to speak the truth. Would a father really banish a daughter? Cordelia was his favorite.

Jane sat beside her. "You look deep in thought."

"I was just thinking about King Lear's relationship with his three daughters." Shana lifted the book to show Jane.

"They're still subjecting students to Shakespeare?" Jane shook her head. "How sad."

"Some, well maybe, a few students actually like his work. King Lear is rated by many as his best tragedy."

"I can quote lines from Romeo and Juliet. I bet you can't give me one quote from King Lear."

Shana set the book down and looked into Jane's eyes. "Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave my heart into my mouth. I love your majesty according to my bond; no more no less." She paused. "Act 1, scene 1"

"What does that mean?"

"King Lear's daughter, Cordelia, said that to him." Shana released a deep breath. "I'll try to give you the quick version. King Lear decided to retire and to divide his kingdom among his three daughters. The largest amount went to the daughter who loved him the most. Well, two daughters said all the sweet things he wanted to hear, but they were lies. Cordelia loved him enough to speak the truth. It got her banished from his kingdom and disinherited."

"If I remember the play correctly, the King of France liked her honesty and married her." Philip walked into the room.

Shana turned and faced him. "You're correct. Are you a Shakespeare fan?"

"I am." Philip poured himself some coffee. "I take it Jane is not." He searched the area. "Where's our little munchkin this morning?"

"I think we wore her out yesterday. She's still asleep." Jane glanced at her watch. "I should wake her. I need to keep her on some schedule."


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident


Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father




Recognized


Thank you Lilibug6 for the lovely artwork, New York Sunrise. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I'm at my in-laws and do have limited Internet. I'll be back home late Friday.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.