Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 20, 2017 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Two people are being accused of crimes they didn't commit.

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

Searching for Clues

by Mistydawn


Brief Summary
Julia
She kills her first husband, Andy to escape an abusive relationship. She steals Andy's mistress's ID and moves to Arkansas.
She starts a career and a family under the fictitious name.
Everything is going well until the police discover a knife from another murder in her car. A knife she claims was purchased from a homeless man, for her second husband's birthday.
She bonds out and is awaiting trial.
Larry
Marty threatens to kill Larry's family if he doesn't win Vinnie's case.
Larry recently found out his estranged wife and daughter are dead. He's being questioned about their murders.

***********

Rachel

Allen and I start to step into the interrogation room when I see Joe running down the hall.

"It's so nice of you to join us, Captain." Allen snidely remarks.

"I was taking care of another police matter."

"Did you find out anything, Captain?" I ask.

"We should know something soon, Sergeant," he says, glaring at the DA.

"While you were out doing God knows what, we discovered that Larry's assault is just the tip of the iceberg."

"My team has been keeping me informed," Joe coldly replies. Joe has never cared for our new DA, now more than ever. He told me that Allen is a weak, trifle of a man who has no business being in law. What happened yesterday between Allen and Kirk, only strengthened his belief.

Feeling the tension build, I quickly step between them. "Why don't we go in and see what Larry has to say about the new evidence."

"That sounds like a great idea. Will you be joining us, Captain?"

"Don't mind if I do," he says, stepping through the door.

I start to follow behind them when I hear my name being called.

"Sergeant, wait up," Kirk yells, running towards me.

I turn back around.

"Larry's boss said he took a three day weekend, so he could spend some time with his family in Florida."

"His family was found in New York, right?"

"Right."

"So he told his boss he was going to Florida but followed them to New York instead?"

"That's what I'm thinking."

"Does the timeline fit?"

"It takes almost eighteen hours to get to New York, New York from here if he doesn't stop."

"When were they killed?"

"The ME puts the time of death around one am Saturday morning."

"He was last seen, when?"

"He left the office at five pm, Thursday evening."

"So that's thirty-two hours between the time he was seen at the office and the murder. If he left New York right after he killed them, he'd be back here around seven pm, Saturday evening."

Kirk checks his notes. "The surveillance shows him leaving the city, around one thirty Saturday morning."

"That would give him plenty of time to be back in the office by Monday," I say, turning towards the glass.

"It was all planted I tell you, the shoes, the clothes, the tracking device, everything," Larry yells.

"You're claiming that Marty was the one who planted all of this?" Joe questions.

"He said he'd kill my family, and then frame me for the murder if I didn't win."

"You did win," Allen says.

"Didn't the judge declare a mistrial?"

"How would Marty know about that?" Joe asks, watching him fidget around.

"Vinnie probably told him."

"How, we picked him up when he was out walking around?"

"Maybe he called Marty before you picked him up, or maybe one of the associates from my law firm called and told him, I don't know. All I know for sure is that I'll have proof I'm being blackmailed when Julia gets here."

"Just how are you going to prove that?" Joe asks, leaning in closer.

"I recorded all of his threats on my machine."

"We'll need to verify the tape's authenticity."

"Go right ahead."

"Can someone confirm your whereabouts last weekend?"

"Julia can, she was with me the entire time."

"Can you think of anyone else?"

"No, we stayed home, preparing for her trial."

"Will your neighbors say they saw your car in the drive all weekend?"

"It was in the garage."

"I need to take this," Allen says. Grabbing his phone from his pocket, he steps into the hall.

"Captain, they just brought Julia in for questioning, and there's something you need to see," Kirk announces, stepping into the room.

"Don't go anywhere." Joe chuckles, walking towards the detective.

"Laugh now, but I'll be the one laughing when I file a lawsuit against this department, for harassment."

"Yeah, yeah," Joe says, closing the door behind him.

***
Rachel

I see Julia crying at the table when I walk in the room.

"What am I being arrested for now?" she sobs.

"You're not being arrested."

"Then why am I here, and why am I handcuffed?" She lifts up her wrists.

"That's a good question." Stepping out of the room, I look for the arresting officer.

"I need the key to the handcuffs."

"Do you think it's wise to uncuff her, Sergeant?"

"I think we'll get more out of her if she feels at ease."

"Would you like me to go with you, in case things get out of hand?"

"I appreciate your concern, but I think I can take care of myself." I smile, recalling the numerous perps I took down through the years.

"Alright," he says, hesitantly handing me the key.

"I'm sorry about that," I apologize, unlocking the cuffs. "Is that better?"

"Yes, thank you," she says, rubbing her wrists.

"We brought you in today because we need to ask you a few questions."

"What's this in regards to, Sergeant?"

"Your lawyer, Larry Wilson. Were you staying at his place last weekend?"

"Yes, I actually started staying with him after my husband filed a restraining order. See, Larry agreed to let me stay with him since I have nowhere else to go."

"You're aware Larry has a wife and daughter, right?"

"Yes, but from what I gather, he's planning on divorcing her real soon and fight for custody of Lilly. Well, he was going to until..." Sniffling, she glances down at the table.

"Until what Julia?" I see tears rolling down her cheeks when she looks up.

"Until Marty killed them. He said that he'll murder Larry's family and frame him for their death if he doesn't win Vinnie's case."

"You know this for a fact?"

"I overheard them talking."

"Do you have proof that Marty is blackmailing Larry?"

"Yes, Larry recorded their conversation on his answering machine. I was supposed to bring in the tape, but when I saw the house torn apart, I got scared and ran."

"When did these conversations between Marty and Larry take place?"

"Tuesday afternoon, and again last night. Larry asked to talk to his daughter but ended up talking to his wife instead."

"He talked to his wife last night?" I ask, glancing up from my notes.

"Yes, and he talked to Lilly and Jen early this morning."

"You're sure he talked to his family?"

"I'm positive, they called to see if he heard anything about the trial."

"Did you hear the conversation between him and his wife?"

"Yes."

"I'll be right back." Seeing Kirk at his desk, I walk over to him.

"Kirk, I want you to check Larry's call log."

"I've already tried, Sergeant, but it's been wiped clean."

"Wiped clean?"

"Not a single call on it. Being the genius I am, I was able to retrieve the call history, and found his in-law's number on the list," he says, kicking back in his chair.

"Ok, boy genius, when was the call made?" I smile.

"Today at 7:02 am," he says, pointing to a sheet of paper.

"You're sure that's their number?"

"I talked to the parents to confirm it. They said that their daughter is alive and well. That she took a trip to New York last weekend and returned Sunday night. When I asked to talk to Jen, they said she and Lilly left for another excursion this morning. I asked how she's financing her travels, they said that a guy dropped off some money and a phone, saying it's from Larry."

"Weren't they suspicious about the gift?"

"No, the mother said Jen figures it has to be from Larry since he's the only one she talked to about taking a trip and her phone issues."

"Didn't Jen's mom tell the police that they're alive?"

"She said she tried to tell them, but they wouldn't listen."

"So someone purposely sent Jen on a shopping trip, and made it look like she's dead?"

"Then they try to frame Larry for the crime," Kirk adds.

"Call NYPD have them recheck the victim's identity. I'm going to talk to Larry." I turn to leave when another thought occurs to me.

"Did you find the answering machine tape?"

"I'm having an officer look for it now."

"Let me know when you find it."

"I will, oh, and Sergeant, Julia's ankle monitor shows she was home all weekend."

So there's a good chance, Larry was with her, like he claims, I think, walking towards the interrogation room.

"I have a few more questions for you, Mr. Wilson," I say, stepping inside the door. Looking around, I realize the room is completely empty.

"They haven't picked him up yet, have they?" I question, running to the captain's office.

"Where's Mr. Wilson?" I ask.

"Two of our men are transporting him to St. Abingdon Virginia. The NYPD is supposed to pick him up from there."

"You have to stop them, Joe, you just have to!"

"Why, what's going on?"

"His family is still alive."



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.