Romance Fiction posted July 3, 2017 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...another part of Jenny and Ron's Story

A chapter in the book The Products of Love

When her water broke

by Mustang Patty

pregnant woman photo pic8.jpg

When her water broke, she was lying on the couch watching TV.  She had given up hope of going into labor that day, so she'd ordered a delivery pizza a few hours earlier and ate the whole thing.  It wasn't as if she was worried about her figure at the moment.
 
The pains weren't too bad, and she judged them to be about six minutes apart.  She had a bag packed in her bedroom and she waddled to grab it.  She didn't feel panicked; she was just glad to be getting it over with.  She suddenly realized she would need to get to the hospital, and she wasn't sure how she was getting there.
 
Her first thought was to call him, but she knew he wouldn't respond the way she wanted.  He had made his feelings perfectly clear.  It was only two weeks ago that he'd signed his rights away with the lawyer.  His part was done and there was little reason to contact him.  And so, she picked up the phone and dialed Bill and Rita.
 
It was a few minutes to ten at night, so there was little wonder when Rita answered the phone in askance.  "Hello?"
 
"Hi.  Um, my water just broke and I need to go to the hospital.  Would you guys be willing to drive me?"
 
"Jenny?  Oh, Jenny!  Of course.  I still get to be in the delivery room, right?"  Her voice had perked up and was filled with joy.
 
"Yes.  I want you to be there.  I'm getting ready right now.  See you in a bit."  She hung up the phone with a deep sigh.  There was so much happiness in Rita's voice, and Jenny knew there would be just pain for her.  But this would be a good pain; the price she had to pay to get her life back.
 
Within fifteen minutes, there was a knock on her door.  She made her way to the door and opened it to Bill's delighted face.  "Can I help you?  Can you make it down the steps?  Should I hold your hand?"
 
Laughing, Jenny thought Bill made the perfect father-to-be.  He was babbling and he'd missed a button on his shirt.  Hair sticking out in tufts on his head let her know he'd already been in bed when she called.  She grasped his hand and they made their way to the car.
 
Rita was waiting in the running car, and her smile was gleaming in the dark.  Her joy was contagious and Jenny found herself returning the smile.  She was happy the last miles of this journey would be spent in the company of these people.
 
The hospital check-in was marred by the attitude of the staff when they heard and understood that the baby was being put up for adoption.  It didn't seem to matter to them that the adoptive parents were on hand.  They had little regard for women who gave their babies away, and they didn't even try to mask their feelings.
 
Jenny was thankful to see the nurse she had taken the Lamaze classes from.  Nell was aware of the situation and gave Jenny a big hug.  She made sure Bill was comfortable in the waiting room, and gave Rita a gown to change into.  She helped Jenny change into a gown and get settled in the bed.
 
The pains seemed to intensify as soon as she lay down on the bed and was attached to all the monitors.  It was a little after midnight when Nell checked her progress, and told her if she wanted to have the epidural, they would need to do it soon.  Jenny figured she could go the natural child birth path if and when she had a baby under better circumstances.  She instructed Nell she would like the procedure, and she braced herself for the large needle she knew would be coming her way.  Her understanding was that they would stick it in her back, so at least she wouldn't have to see it.
 
After the anesthesiologist came in and gave her the epidural, there was nothing left to do but wait.  As the procedure took effect, Jenny and Rita watched the meter showing the contractions go up and down without Jenny feeling much of anything.  Jenny allowed herself to relax as best she could.  They were told in the class that fighting the process would only make it go slower.
 
In between the nurses coming in to check on her progress, Rita and Jenny talked.  All through the long night, they talked about many things.  Jenny did her best to tell Rita all she could about her, and as much as she knew about the father, Ron.  Jenny shared how important it was to her that the baby be taught about God and was assured by Rita that they would honor this wish.
 
The sun was beginning to peek through the blinds when the labor intensified.  The monitor was showing constant activity, and Jenny felt a great deal of pressure.  Nell came and did a check and let the women know it was 'just about time.'  She said she would call the doctor.
 
Jenny smiled up at Rita, " Well, we're almost there.  It won't be much longer now."
 
"Thank you.  Thank you for all of this.  I will never be able to thank you enough."
 
Jenny smiled back at the weeping woman.  Her thanks would be in no longer carrying this burden alone.  She wasn't going to be pregnant in just a few more minutes.  She would no longer be 'that pregnant girl."  No one would be judging her at work anymore.  There wouldn't be pointing and snickering behind her back.  It was almost over.
 
After laboring all night, it took only thirty minutes of pushing, and the baby made its way into the world.  Both Rita and Jenny held their breath as the baby's sex was revealed.  Rita was so pleased to have a baby boy, and Jenny was merely relieved it wasn't a girl.  She didn't think she could hand over a daughter to someone else.
 
After the nurses cleaned the little boy, Nell brought the wrapped bundle over to the bed.  "Do you want to hold him?" she asked Jenny.
 
"No," Jenny smiled through her tears, "give him to his mother."

to be continued...

 



Recognized


I wrote this story based on a friend's recollections. I've known her for over thirty years and I was there at the beginning. Through the magic of the internet and free long distance, I've been able to hear the whole story.

With her permission, I've developed a story line based on what happened between her and her lover. The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty.


Epidural; Epidural anesthesia is the most popular method of pain relief during labor. Women request an epidural by name more than any other method of pain relief. More than 50% of women giving birth at hospitals use epidural anesthesia. (American pregnancy.org)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.