General Non-Fiction posted June 21, 2017 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...at the kennel while the Mistress is gone

A chapter in the book 2018 Bernie and Howie Stories

Howie and Bernie live it up

by Mustang Patty

 photo 2013 Dec 28_zpsouydtddk.jpg

The veterinarian tech started on her rounds of the kennels and stopped in front of the deluxe run.  Scanning the notes, she nodded in satisfaction.  The records indicated the dogs had been fed and walked right on schedule each day.
 
"Hiya Howie and Bernie.  Aren't you the lucky boys?  Your owners booked you in the lap of luxury.  Are you enjoying the TV shows?"
 
Both dogs thumped their tails in response.  She could see they were both some kind of Maltese mixture, but they differed greatly in coloring and size.  One of them, she thought it was Bernie, had long legs, while the other one, Howie, had short little legs and a long flowing tail.  They were cute little buggers.  She looked at her notes again.
 
"Looks like you're going home tomorrow!  I bet you will be happy to see your Mommy and Daddy, huh?"
 
The dogs just continued to wave their tails at her words.  Neither of them understood what most humans said.  They didn't always understand what the Mistress said either, but they could tell a great deal by the sound of her voice.  This stranger's words had little effect on them.  She continued her rounds, and the boys returned to their own activities.
 
Bernie watched the setting sun from his soft and cushy dog bed.  He loved the creature comforts he had here.  There was a television in the corner that only showed doggie shows, and soft music flowed from somewhere above him.  Cool, clear water was dispensed from a fountain in the corner, and a doggy door led to the place he could do his business.
 
The shaggy little head turned towards his chum, Howie.  Howie was spread out on his doggy bed with great relish.  He was on his back with his feet up in the air.  Sound asleep, he emitted little puppy sounds and his paws moved as if he were running. 
 
Bernie was smiling to himself as he watched his friend.  Despite the absence of the Mistress and the Man, this wasn't a bad place to pass the time.  There was fresh food every morning and evening, and someone came to play with them and rub their bellies on a regular basis.
 
The lights in the kennel were soft and easy on doggy eyes.  Bernie alternated between watching the television and Howie.  He wasn't sure which was more entertaining.  He watched as Howie turned over to his side, and opened his big dark eyes.
 
----------@>
 
Howie stood up to stretch his little body.  Placing his forefeet out in front of him, he bent at his waist and listened to the muscles in his body snap and crackle.  The rounded face and severe underbite made for an adorable dog.  Howie knew it and played to people with his looks.  His best trick was to stand on his back legs and beg with his front feet.  The Mistress called it 'Pretty Feet,' and he could always win a special treat from her by using this ploy.
 
He went and stood by the door to their 'suite,' and waited for one of the technicians to walk by.  As soon as he saw someone coming near, he stood on his back feet and waved his paws in the air.  Sure enough, the tech stopped and stooped down, smiling at the little dog.
 
She let herself into the kennel to play with the dogs.  Howie's tawny gold fur was soft from daily brushing, and he pranced with delight as she began to pet him.  He continued to butt his head up against her hand.  He was waiting for her to realize what he really wanted.
 
"Hey, Howie.  How are you?  Are you a happy boy?  Do you want a belly rub?  No?  Okay, how about a treat?"
 
At those words, Howie went down on all four paws, and began to run in circles around the tech's feet.  He yipped and danced.  He ran over to Bernie and nipped at his side.  He continued to run around like a crazy dog as the tech headed towards the treat basket. 
 
Soon enough, she came to their kennel with two treats in her hand.  Both dogs sat very still and watched her every move.  Waiting for the signal, drool began to pool at the sides of their mouths.  Though neither dog was hungry, the treats just made their day.
 
----------@>
 
 
It was barely after breakfast when the vet tech returned.  She had the dogs' harnesses in her hand and she was opening the door.  Bernie knew it was too early for their walk, and he nervously pranced and barked at Howie.
 
Both dogs were more than willing to have their harnesses put on.  Could it be they were going home?  They knew they had been here for a while.  It seemed endless to both, but it had only been eight days.  But when you're a dog, you don't have a real concept of time.
 
----------@>
 
She heard their nails clicking on the linoleum floors and she watched the doorway with anticipation. 
 
"Howie, Bernie!  Oh, look at you!  I missed you so much!"
 
Within moments they were at her feet.  She bent down and hugged them both in turn.  Wet tongues licked wherever they could reach.  She laughed and giggled.
 
----------@>
 
Bernie could smell the wonderful scent of her body lotion.  Her hair was hanging down into his face.  He was so happy he could burst.  He nipped Howie on his side as if to say, 'It's so good to be with the Mistress.'

 
 
 
 



Recognized


these are a few pictures of Bernie and Howie from my collection. I really don't have any of both of them together.

While I was in Virginia earlier this month AND when I was in Minneapolis last month, the boys stayed at the kennel. They are completely spoiled while they are there, and though I miss them very much, I know they are being taken care of.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.