Romance Fiction posted June 18, 2017 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Benjamin discusses the Star of David with Emily.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zehn part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Daddy says I might stay with him forever. I hope so." Emily hugged Romeo. "Think he'll get me my own dog?"

"I don't know. You'll have to ask him." Jane smiled.

Off Emily ran, asking loudly, "Daddy, can I have my own dog?"

"Did I hear the child correctly, that she may come to live with her daddy? That's unusual." Benjamin looked at Jane.

"Let's just say her mother's a very interesting person." Jane chewed on her bottom lip.

When Benjamin's stare turned to Shana, she added. "I've met her briefly. My first impression is that no child should be with that woman."

"You can't always judge a book by its cover. There may be circumstances you don't know about." Benjamin continued to stare at Shana.

"I understand Papa."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 10 part 2

A few moments later, Anderson and his daughter joined the group. Emily walked to Benjamin, looked up at him and held up her hands. "They're clean."

Benjamin knelt to her level. "Would you like to see my kippah?"

"Yes, may I please see your cappah?" Emily turned toward Anderson. "Daddy, did I ask politely?"

Anderson nodded. "Why don't we go into the living room? It's more comfortable."

After everybody was seated, Benjamin removed his head covering and tapped the seat beside him for Emily.

She smiled and sat. "You said this is the star of somebody. Why isn't it in the sky?"

"It's the Star of David." Benjamin smiled. "It's been a while since I explained its importance to a child. I'll do my best. It's a Jewish symbol. It has six points." He and Emily counted the six points. "This star is also on the flag of Israel. In Hebrew, it's called Magen Davie or Shield of David."

Benjamin patted the emblem. "A stone bearing the Star of David sits in a synagogue in Galilee that dates back to the third century."

"Why is it named David's star?" Emily tilted her head and looked at Benjamin.

"Good question. It is to remind us that God will help us accomplish our goals as he helped King David."

"Who was King David?"

"Before David became king he killed a giant named Goliath. I'm sure you've heard that story in Sunday school."

"What's Sunday school?" Emily faced Anderson.

"You attended when you were very young. I guess your mother hasn't been taking you. We'll attend next Sunday. I promise."

Benjamin replaced the kippah on his head. "I think that's enough history for now. I'm sure Shana can tell you the rest of King David's story."

Emily scooted closer to Shana. "Did your daddy take you to Sunday school?"

"He did regularly." Shana smiled. "I doubt we missed a single Sabbath."

"Sabbath? Is that the same as Sunday school?" Emily's stare focused on Shana.

"Jane, why don't you take Emily to the kitchen? I'm sure Helen could use some help with lunch." Anderson glanced at Benjamin. "I hope you'll stay for lunch."

"Yes, our flight doesn't leave until 6:00 P.M. but we don't need any more food. The plate of sandwiches and fruit is plenty." Benjamin touched his stomach.

"I agree," added Aaron.

Anderson faced Philip. "Move the helicopter's arrival to 4:00 P.M. and let the pilot know there will be three occupants."

Philip nodded and left to take care of it.

"You don't need to do that. We can take a taxi," argued Benjamin.

"I was going to the airport anyway. I need to fly to D.C. tonight. So it's no problem at all. This way we're sure nobody will bother you." Anderson rubbed his hands together. "I'm sure you were concerned about your daughter's well-being. Have your questions been answered to your satisfaction or is there more we need to discuss?"

"I guess." Benjamin paused.

"If I'm not mistaken, you were concerned about Shana's physical safety," Anderson hesitated to search for the correct words, "about her reputation. You're Orthodox Jewish and struggle with some of the society's modern ways."

Benjamin leaned forward. "Yes, she's staying with a divorced man."

"Papa?"

"Shana, it's all right. I understand his concern. He loves you." Anderson's eyes met Benjamin's. "I want to assure you that your daughter has been and will continue to be treated with the upmost respect. To the best of my ability I will make sure no harm comes to her physically or emotionally." He offered his hand. After Benjamin accepted it, he added, "Emily's my princess and I understand a father's love and concern for his daughter."


Tour Guide: Zahi Shaked The Synagogue of Jesus at Capernaum, Sea of Galilee.





Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her families painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Ben -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for a photo of the Star of David at the Synagogue of Jesus at Capernaum, Sea of Galilee. I hope the link works for a tour of this Synagogue. I'm not good with technology. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.