Biographical Non-Fiction posted June 1, 2017 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...where on earth was Howie?

A chapter in the book 2018 Bernie and Howie Stories

Bernie's Dilemma

by Mustang Patty


Facing the fan, Bernie's fur blew back from his face.  With his eyes closed, he kept his mouth closed and his nose felt the cool air blowing back into his head.  It was a wonderful feeling.  He thought this must be like running full speed.
 
Within such a short time, the outside air had grown hot and humid.  Wasn't it just a few weeks back the heat was on?  Bernie was thankful for the air conditioning inside their house.  He knew the Mistress was, too.  She was wearing shorts and a tank top, and her hair was pulled up into a bun on top of her head.  A pencil was stuck through her hair and Bernie thought it looked cute, though he really wanted to chew on the eraser.
 
Licking the pads of his foot one by one, Bernie was deep in thought.  Howie wasn't in the house for some reason.  Where could he have gone?  The Mistress hadn't said much this morning.  She was not her usual self, and Bernie could smell fear seeping from her pores.  Could it have something to do with Howie?
 
It was true that Howie was more grumpy than usual over the past few weeks.  He snapped and growled at Bernie whenever he came near, and his naps were long and often.  It was weird when there was more food for Bernie; Howie usually ate more than his fair share.  He moved slower and refused to jump down from the couch.  In fact, he refused to jump anywhere.  He walked like a much older dog, and he seemed very unhappy. 
 
Bernie's head hurt as he pondered these things.  Though he liked having all the Mistress's attention, he missed his chum.  He always had had Howie to hang out with.  Howie was his big brother.
 
Jumping down from the couch, Bernie went and grabbed the blue thing.  The Mistress sometimes called it a Kong, but he always thought of it as the blue thing.  Howie loved it, and usually would come running whenever Bernie picked it up.  Not today.  Howie was somewhere else, and it bothered Bernie.
 
A chirping sound was heard, and the Mistress picked up the small black thing that was never far from her side.  "Hello?"  She listened for a bit.
 
"Yes, I see.  How long will he have to stay?"  Another delay and Bernie cocked his head in askance.
 
"Oh, so I can pick him up tomorrow?"  Bernie placed his head on the Mistress's knee as he watched her face go from concern to happiness.
 
"That would be great.  I'm so glad it's all over.  Who knew a four-year-old dog could get a hernia?"  Her laughter put Bernie's mind at ease.  He hadn't heard her laugh in a few days. 
 
"Uh huh.  See you tomorrow then."
 
She bent over and ruffled his ears.  "Bernie!  Howie will be home tomorrow.  It wasn't anything bad—it was just a simple operation and he will be just fine."

 



Recognized


Howie needed to have surgery, and since they weren't exactly sure what was going on, I was very frightened. It could be something as simple as a hernia or...?

It has been a rough couple of days.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.