Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 21, 2017 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sarah has two choices; kill or be killed like her family.

A chapter in the book Twist of Fate

Mistaken Idenity

by Mistydawn


Summary
Katelyn and her father were killed in a drive-by because Katelyn owed them money. They're now going after Sarah. Telling her to pay up or she dies. They're also going after Mia thinking that she's Katelyn. Mia is Katelyn's twin. The child Sarah thought she'd lost at birth. 

Mia's heart pounds rapidly in her chest, her entire body trembles as she searches for a way to escape. The officers continue across the store behind her. They have to have an exit they just have to. She discovers the red neon sign in the corner. I need to stay calm, walk like I normally do so I won't draw attention to myself. She takes a big breath and then heads towards the door.

Paranoia overtaking her, Mia spins around. She quickly discovers the cop chatting with a cashier. They haven't spotted me yet. She turns towards the back door. I'm seconds away from freedom. Her insides quiver as she reaches for the metal bar.

"What do you think you're doing?" the employee asks. Startled, Mia jumps back. "You're not stepping foot out that door with them." She points to the clothes in her hands.

"Isn't this the dressing room?"

"The sign is clearly marked as an exit," the employee huffs. With over twenty-five years in retail, she's heard every lame excuse imaginable.

Mia sees the cop chatting away when she glances towards the front. I'm still in the clear. She starts to turn around when she notices the clerk pointing towards the back. She's telling him where to find me. She glances towards the door again. I could be long gone before they get back here. Shoving the clothes in the employee's hands, she bolts through the door.  She glances back to find the officer behind her.

***

The late afternoon sun is creeping across the sky. The detectives have spent the day talking to Jovani's lovers. They discovered their answers are all the same. They didn't know much about his personal life, but he was marvelous in bed. 

"I bet the working women can tell us more." Larry glances over at his partner.

"You think Jovani is into prostitutes?" George questions.

"With his sexual appetite, I bet he's done each one at least twice."

Pulling up to 10th and 42nd street Larry gets out of their car. Being familiar with the blighted area, his partner reluctantly follows. They're soon met by two young women dressed in sexy attire.

"What's your pleasure, honey?" The younger, more attractive female asks.

"We want to ask you ladies about this guy." Larry holds up a picture of the deceased.

"That's Jovani. He's a good boy toy, great eye candy, but I wouldn't want him around all the time."


"Why?" Larry asks.

"He has some bad habits if you know what I mean." she holds her finger against her nose. "You name it, he's done it. It's scary to watch him sometimes." Her friend nods in agreement.

"Do you know anyone who'd want to kill him?"

"I can name at least a dozen."

"He'd probably been dead years ago if you guys didn't ship him off so much." The second lady adds.

"What can you tell me about her?" George shows them a picture.

The first lady takes a drag from her cigarette before she answers. "That's Katelyn. She usually comes around in the evening, but I haven't seen her in a week or so. Found out she was gunned down in Jersey this morning." She glances towards the ground. "I usually don't get attached, but there was something special about that girl." She wipes a tear from her eye.

"You're sure it's Katelyn?"

"Positive. I use to tease her about the birthmark on her right cheek."

"The birthmark is on her left."

The lady looks at the picture again. "I guess it is."

"Did she and Jovani ever date?"

"Hell no. She thinks he's a disgusting sleaze, told him as much too."

"So why was he at her funeral if she hates him so much?"

"She hates him, but he adores her."

"No, it's more like he worships the ground she walks on. It's weird I know but guys like Jovani are like that, always after what they can't have."

"How about you guys?" 

"We get mad at him and all, but he always makes it up to us doing what hot-blooded Italians do best."

"He does have magical fingers and a magical...."

Feeling uncomfortable, George clears his throat as he adjusts his suit. "Thanks for your time, ladies." He nervously heads towards the car. Larry chuckles.

"Was it something we said?" The first lady laughs.

"My partner is an old fashioned kind of guy."

"I can fix that real quick."

Larry gives her a quick once over. "I bet so."

"I can fix you up too, on the house." She winks. She runs her fingers down his shirt.

Larry backs away. "Don't think my wife would appreciate it."

"She'd never have to know."

Larry glances towards his partner. George smiles. You'll get yours, pal. "You wouldn't mind giving me a list of Jovani's enemies, would you?"

"I have nothing better to do." She takes the notebook from his hands.

"Do you know how we can reach his parents?"

"They still live in the old country as far as I know. That's all I can think of for now."


"Call me if you think of any more." He exchanges his card for the paper.

"Can I call you if I get in a jam?"

"You help me out and I'll help you. Thanks for your time, ladies." Larry quickly walks away.

"My offer is always good." She winks.

"Thanks a lot, pal." Larry barks as he climbs in the car.

"I figured you can handle your own." He chuckles.

"At least we got a list of suspects." He tosses George his notebook.

"And your girlfriend's number." George laughs again.

***

Sarah pretends to look around the grimy shop as she listens to the men's conversation. The putrid smell of grease and motor oil seem to hang thickly in the air despite it being empty. 

The owner's brows furrow; a scowl creeps across his face as Jimmy explains her situation. I don't want to get him into trouble, but I don't know what else to do. Sarah thinks.

"Why did you bring her here, Jimmy, huh, why? Are you stupid or something?" The owner smacks the back of his head.

"She came to me."


"That's all we need, a bunch of people wandering in from the streets," he says in a huff. Lou chose this garage because of its isolated location.

"I don't know why you're getting so upset over a measly paint job."

Lou watches her stroll around the shop. "You didn't tell her about the other stuff, did you?"

"No, of course not."

"You better hope you didn't let anything slip," Lou warns as he heads towards her car. Jimmy has a habit of speaking before he thinks. "What happened here?" The owner points towards the glass.


"Someone tried to shoot her. That's why she wants us to paint it, so no one will recognize the car."

"Who won't recognize her, Jimmy, who?" Lou nervously looks around. Noticing a suspicious car parked down the road, he steps inside.

Jimmy follows suit. "The ones that killed her husband and daughter are after her too."

"Her being here could get all of us killed." Lou moves further into the shop. "I don't want any part of this, Jimmy. No part in it at all. So, tell her to get in her car and go."

"We have to help her, boss, we just have to, for my family's sake."

Seeing the despairing look on his employee's face, he walks towards the lady. "Jimmy said you ran into a little trouble on the streets?"

"A group of thugs killed my family and now they're after me."

"Do you know why?"

"I have no idea." Sarah lies. "Please, help me, mister, please, before they kill me too."

"I'll paint your car, but I suggest you get out of town the second I'm done."


"I... I will."

***

Finding Sarah's car parked at the garage, Mia heads towards it. Her nerves get the best of her, she turns back around. I can't let a few jitters get in the way of my dreams. She sees Sarah talking to the owner when she peeks inside. It's now or never.

Jimmy hears scuffling. He turns to find the silhouette of a small figure in the entryway. "Can I help you?"

"I...I need to talk to her." She points towards her mother. I have to do this. She then recalls her narrow escape. How she jumped on the subway in the nick of time. I might not be that lucky again. She takes a big breath before she continues. "It's about Katelyn's death." She steps through the door. Her body trembles as Sarah turns around. Please don't let this go badly. Oh, please don't let this go badly.

Sarah sees Mia in the doorway. "What the..." she mutters before she faints. 

 
Characters

 
Katelyn Johnson Sarah's daughter. She and her daddy were killed in a driveby over drug money
Sarah Johnson, Katelyn and Mia's mother
Mia, Katelyn's twin. The one that supposedly died at birth
Jimmy,  Sarah's brother-in-law.

The Atlanta Police Department

George,  detective
Larry, detective


 

 

 

 




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.