General Non-Fiction posted April 20, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
From the series: Remembering Grandmother Lila

Music and Mirth

by Melody Ringo


My grandmother Lila was a very spiritual woman and loved to express her spirituality through song. She would often sit at her piano and play and sing her favorite hymns at the top of her lungs, with a heavy vibrato that filled the dining room of her small upstairs apartment.

Sometimes when I was child, she invited me to come and sit next to her on the piano bench and sing along with her. We'd belt out the lyrics to some of her favorites like The Old Rugged Cross, When We All Get to Heaven, He lives, or Amazing Grace.

Occasionally, she would hit a sour note on the piano and we'd both collapse into giggles and then start again. Sometimes, I saw tears well up in her eyes as she sang lyrics that must have reminded her of times gone by. I was always amazed at her coordination - arthritic hands running nimbly over the familiar black and white keys, meanwhile both feet were busy pumping the lower pedals at the appropriate moments to create desired sound effects.

On the wall above her old upright piano was a picture of a beautiful young dark haired woman wearing a luxurious red ball gown, sitting gracefully at a grand piano in what appeared to be a large sitting room of a turn of the century style mansion, complete with high ceilings with a large fireplace that ran along one wall. The room was filled with gilded antique furnishings. Heavy velvety curtains were parted to allow beams of bright sunlight to illuminate the center of room.

I often lost myself in that picture while sharing the piano bench with grandmother during our sing-a-longs and I used to wonder if she had posed for that portrait in her younger days. I never asked her about how she came to acquire such a lovely painting, though now I wish I had.

Later, from my teen years on, we would accompany each other-she on her piano and me on my guitar. Many times we spent more time trying to get my guitar tuned to the same key as her piano than we did actually singing. Sometimes we even taped our "concerts" so we could enjoy them later. Unfortunately, none of the tapes managed to survive the years due to many moves, but I don't mind so much. Those times of music and mirth are forever burned into the fibers of my memory, and I can play them back in my mind any time I please.

You see, I can still hear her crackling voice singing the words to her all time favorite spiritual song, Sweep Over My Soul. The lyrics go like this:

Sweep over my soul, Sweep over my soul,
Sweet Jesus, sweep over my soul.
My rest is complete, when I sit at Your feet.
Sweet Jesus, sweep over my soul.

I'll always be grateful for a grandmother who taught me to appreciate music and spiritual expression. She has long since passed away, but somehow I know she is somewhere in heaven, serenading the angels in that big sitting room in the sky.



Share Your Story contest entry


This is one in a series of six inspirational stories I wrote about my beloved grandmother Lila.

Several years ago, I wanted to capture the memories I had of her while they were cascading through my mind. I wrote the entire series in one amazing evening over a period of several hours. Tears flowed from my eyes at the same pace as the words that so effortlessly came to me as I thought about the special bond that she and I shared when I was growing up.

Grandmother Lila played a pivotal role in my formative years, modeling for me what a truly godly woman looks and sounds like while showering me, her oldest grandchild, with much love and affection. She is long gone from this world, but my precious memories of her will never die.

As I was preparing to post this story tonight, I spent hours searching the internet to see if I could find a picture of the painting described above. After scrolling through hundreds of photos of 19th century paintings, I was just about to shut it down and go to bed when-voila!- I found the EXACT painting I've held in my memory for over forty years!

I was so excited I almost fell off my chair. There, on the computer screen in front of me the painting appeared like magic from a simple search of EBAY of all places!

It must have been divine providence.

Now, I have the honor and privilege of sharing and image of this beautiful work of art with the world. And with any luck, my offer for it on EBAY will be honored and someday soon, it will grace a special wall in my home.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Melody Ringo All rights reserved.
Melody Ringo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.