Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 22, 2017 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Move to the City- AGAIN!

A chapter in the book The Little Dog That Wouldn't Let Go

Knot Tied- New Position

by Sankey




Background
Even though I couldn't see her (she was in the lounge room and I was in the study) it turned out, talking to her a little time later, I was right.

Ch 11c(Word)
In my new Clerical Administrative Class 1 level, I was placed in the "Treatment Section" in the Branch Office Building in the city, at the start. Also known as "Grace Building," formerly the first big department store building for, as its name indicated - "Grace Brothers" now long gone from the retail sector - and leased to the Government for "99 years."

There was no air conditioning, so in the summer it got really hot in the building, and the fact that you could not close any of the windows properly did not matter. In the winter, brrr! An entirely different scenario where we all froze to death with the cold winds blowing freely through those darn windows, which we could not close to bless ourselves. I recently recovered some notes I had written in my frustration about my new position. Here they are, kindly re-typed for me by my dear wife ...

"Geoff's work Complaints. - My comments relating to work reports from Garry Chapman, A. Bollocks & M. Saltine. (Names changed to protect the guilty.)

Firstly, I agree with a common statement made by all three of the above, in that I find this position too demanding and no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to cope with it. Even if it may appear to be backstabbing on one hand and back scratching on the other, I have found that my problems have been multiplied in the presence of certain supervisors.

Mr Chapman during his tenure made a habit of talking loudly about "Ministerials" regarding the "travel expenses" area. We were never told whether it was considered to be the examiners' fault or if the client was making claims outside their eligibility to do so. Also, Mr Chapman could have gone to the clerk covering that particular breakup and spoken privately with them to avoid total embarrassment, right across the section."

"I had tried to organize my work more and get the easier claims done to build up my output but the slow work has to be done and cannot continually be put aside. I was exempt from answering phones but because of recent staff shortages I still end up having to answer them."

"At one stage, Mr Chapman made what I consider to be a threat, if not personally, then generally to the Travel Expenses area that Donald Norfolk had said that a clerk's position had to be abolished. I took this personally hard. I don't consider Mr Chapman's statistics on travel expenses claims to be altogether relevant to my case."

"I was told that I should do at least 20 claims per day, and I attempted to do this. As has been alluded to in the reports, I do have difficulty with noise being distracting and in the "open space" nature of our floor, every noise from one end of the building to the other can be heard. Plus of course, the deafening truck and traffic noises from one of the busiest intersections in the city, compounded by the lack of sealed windows. Working conditions in this area are quite difficult, and the lack of oxygen can tend to make one daydream and slow down work."

If you want to breathe you have to freeze (or wear an overcoat) if you want to be warm you must suffocate for lack of air.

"Some supervisors seem to have a better understanding of the problems of hearing impaired than others. I think all supervisors of hearing impaired should be compelled to take some sort of course of familiarization with the problems involved."

"I agree with Ms Saltine's comment, and I appreciate her encouragement. I also feel that I could do a better job in an area such as public relations counter work or computer work. I appreciate the opportunity to answer these reports and I wish to state that I want to do a fair day's work in a job suitable to my abilities, which apparently do not include the criteria of the current position."

"I feel as though I am being put upon, trodden down, being treated very unreasonably because I am slow in my work. It seems that when I am off sick either no one does any of my work and it piles up, or if someone does it they get all the easy claims to do and I get all the troublesome. As an example, I recently made a point of telling the supervisor that I felt that work inflow was not being monitored fully, in that when the incoming work is assembled when the physio's don't put a 'TF12*' on the accounts, there is no way of knowing whether there are 5 accounts/approvals etc. or 25 a/cs - approvals to each voucher number. Therefore, the system of measuring the incoming and out-going work was not realistic."

"So now apparently, (I haven't been able to see any myself), the workflow is being adjusted to the required 5 a/c to Voucher etc., and my helper is whizzing through like a "Bondi*" on new claims. I heard someone in our area say a while ago that you can't keep up with the work by following the procedure, you have to take shortcuts."

"Why should I be penalized for being slow when I am following procedure, checking eligibility, and Physio Approvals etc. on the computer, writing letters to physio's, and telling them what we will be paying etc, and handling JP* services and phone inquiries? I was a Justice of the Peace back in those days, being constantly called to the front desk to witness signatures on forms. I was accused of spending too much time on the phone and daydreaming. However, I don't spend any more time on the phone than other people do talking to other staff members - the argument is,
'but they get their work done' - I wonder!! I know I can't work and talk. I'm sure many others are like me."

"Many years ago, it was claimed we should be able to enjoy our work - I would enjoy my work if I could be allowed to get at it and on with it without feeling pressurized, either real or imaginary - I'm at a stage now where my self-esteem is at an all-time low, and if it wasn't for the fact that I have a lovely wife who I know loves me, I would have had a nervous breakdown by now. It isn't just a matter of not enjoying my work at present, but actually feeling threatened by my work and all (or most) of those associated with it. We do not deserve the amount of pressure we are experiencing at this time."

"I hope that this little note gets to the right place at the right time -- I am not a nut or mental case. I am (still) a sane human being who is trying to survive in an increasingly hostile environment. Please help me before I go completely down in a heap. Yours sincerely,
G. MOORE JP" 

Looking back I am not sure this ever got passed on to the relevant authorities but it probably did me good writing it all out, anyway.

As you will see in my song below, I talk about the after-effects of the operations too. (Medical matters) later on. Not long after I returned to work I got a transfer to another section where they dealt with "Hospital Maintenance" entailing payment of costs for Veteran's Treatment, etc - in Private Hospitals. I had a really good supervisor over there, named Betty.
 
I wrote a poem/song about my time in the Department Of Veteran's Affairs.  Lyrics follow, below. The MP3 for the tune to "It's Not What You Know, But Who You Know"  is at the head of the Chapter. You will need to Press the "Forward Arrow" to replay the tune for each verse, the complete verses file is too large for inclusion here.
 
Verse 1 and Chorus
It's not what you know 
But who you know that counts 
If you've got it all up there 
It don't matter an ounce. 
(Chorus) 
In the Public Service, 
that's the way it goes, 
it's Not WHAT; 
BUT WHO you know!
 
2. There's a guy calls himself "Hitler,' 
He's got it in for you. 
If you wanna feel a bit "littler", 
He'll make sure that you do. 
(Chorus) 
3. Since I've been in the "Tower" 
I've learned a thing or two, 
If you're feeling like a sower;
"Kev's circle's" there for you.
 (Chorus)
 4. And Then there's *E.E.O. 
or More like EE-OW! 
If management won't apply it,
 Then I just don't know how?
Chorus
5.Morale  in Veterans' Affairs 
Is at an all-time low 
You say, "HEY WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT?"
 Been there I ought to know. 
Chorus (this verse only)... 
In the DVA that's the way it goes, 
It's not "what", but "who" you know! 
6.I'm sick of being treated 
Just like a little twit 
Between the "Candy" and "Heaven" 
I just can't make a hit. 
Ever since I had my oppo's 
I've been Looked at like a "nong,"
 So now then...
 Here is my song. 
(Skip Chorus)
 
It was from the job in Aetna Tower I got a transfer back to Tax, initially in Parramatta. When I was leaving  Branch Office in the City, a dear friend and fellow worker wrote the following in my Farewell Card. I will always treasure this...a bit of a steal of some of another famous poet's words - I forget their name or the other poem's name. Some of the terms you may not understand, as they refer to several of the systems we used in the office for different operations, back then. ...Farewell To Geoff by Warren Burke.(Not real name)
The Time has come,
Bill B has said;
To speak of many things.
Of Scribes and rats,
And Bureaucrats;
Of Sycophants and bores.
Of PARS and FAS and floppy discs,
And all the things you'll miss
Suffice to "sai"
We'll miss you too,
So here's to "sai" "G'dai."
 
I loved his (Bill's) Anglo-Indian attempt at "Aussie Lingo" or "Strine."
 
 



Recognized


Australian English and usage of the same is different from American English. The picture is the, now, Grace Hotel that was once the location of the Repatriation Branch Office, later to be known as Department Of Veterans' Affairs.
TF12's were vouchers attached to bundles of claims. JP ... Different in Australia to the Justice of the Peace office in America. "Whizzing through like a 'Bondi'..." refers to a saying here regarding the speed of some of our old trams we had up till 1961. Funny thing is, as the saying goes...history is now repeating itself and "Light Rail" or in old terms trams are returning to Sydney Streets. If you are a new visitor I highly recommend reading the last 2 chapters.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.