Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 14, 2017 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sarah has two choices; kill or be killed like her family.

A chapter in the book Twist of Fate

Sweet Revenge

by Mistydawn


The sun shines brightly overhead making the day unseasonably warm. The forensic team is collecting evidence at the gravesite while the detectives question the witnesses. 

Larry wipes the sweat from his brow as he heads towards his partner. "The ones I talked to don't remember seeing her until after she fired her gun and only briefly then." He started on the force ten years ago. He's worked homicide for three.

"The people I talked to said she was wearing a large-brimmed hat and sunglasses, so they didn't get a good look at her face."

"Mine did too."

"I have something that'll help," Jeff says as he walks towards them. "I found a shoe print in the dirt. It was made by a lady's dress shoe, size 8. My team is checking the pattern now." Jeff transferred from the tenth precinct five years ago.

"What can you tell us about the victim?"

Jeff glances at his notebook. "He was released from prison a few days ago and is currently staying at his Aunt's on the south side of town. Here's the address." He tears a piece of paper from his notebook and hands it to George.

"What was he charged with?" Larry asks.

"Assault with a deadly weapon and evading arrest."

"Who did he assault?"

"His wife and a guy by the name of Billy Mueller. I also wanted to tell you the bullet is from a 22. I can tell you the make and model once I get it to the lab."

"Do you have anything else for us?" George questions.

"That's all we know so far, sir."

"Is any of these cars the shooter's?" Larry asks, looking around the crowded lot.

"No, sir."

"Search the garages and the streets for abandoned vehicles. Check the cameras in the area see what you can find."

"We'll get right on it, detective."

***

I have to get out of the city, Mia thinks as she dashes towards the bus station. A horde of daily commuters beside her.

Katelyn suggested she move to New York claiming it will make it easier on her when she goes to Berkeley. Katelyn then proposes they assume the other's identity. She argued that it'd save Mia from having to pay rent. Mia was afraid to take her up on her offer but now wonders if things would've turned out differently if she had.

Mia sees a tall lanky dude running towards her when she glances over her shoulder. Recognizing him from the cemetery, Mia pushes through the crowd. Several pedestrians use a few choice words as they tumble to the ground.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she apologizes as she rushes past them. She looks back to find the guy is just a few feet away. I'll end up like Katelyn if I don't hurry. 

Using every ounce of energy she has left, Mia pushes through the mass. A pair of strong hands pull her into the alley; Mia screams. A large filthy palm presses firmly against her lips; muffling her cries for help. Mia tries to squirm away. He jerks her against him; a rancid smell spews from his clothes when their bodies collide.

"You're not going anywhere, Katelyn, not until you pay me what you owe," he tightens his grip on her neck as he drags her further back.

Mia's head spins as she gasps for much-needed air. I can't pass out now, I just can't. She forces air into her lungs. The world dims around her. I have to do something, quick. She grabs the gun from her pocket and lifts it over her head. Making a quick calculating, she aims and shoots. His hold slips as he folds to the ground.

Gulping in precious air, Mia spins around. "No one hurts my sister, no one," she screams. She pulls the trigger again. She hears scuffling at the end of the alley. She looks up to find another goon barreling her way. Mia lifts her weapon and squeezes the trigger. The gun clicks in response. It can't be empty, it just can't be. She glances up to find the man is a few feet away. Sirens blare down the road.
 

***
"They don't give you guys a lot of space, do they?" George complains as he tries to maneuver his plump body around the small enclosure. George has been with the station for fifteen years. He thought about becoming a sergeant but isn't sure if he can handle the politics that go with the fancier title.

"Are you going to make it, doughboy?" Larry chuckles from his seat."

"Yeah, yeah just keep laughing." George sneers at his brawny partner as he plops down beside him. "I think I'm ready now." George repositions himself in the chair. "Yeah, I'm good."

"I started the search on our mystery lady a half an hour before the incident occurred. I was hoping we might be able to pick her up entering the cemetery." Jeff explains. He looks at the digital clock at the bottom of the screen. "The tape is now up to when it occurred."

"I can't believe a single camera didn't pick her up," Larry says.

"I'm beginning to think it was purposely done. Wait, what was that?" George points towards the monitor. The technician pauses the tape.

"Go back." Jeff rewinds the footage. Good, now move it frame by frame. There, stop, zoom it in." A picture of a woman appears on the screen. She's dressed in black. A large brimmed hat and oversized sunglasses hide her face. Her hair appears to be a sandy blonde but the way she has it tucked it was difficult to tell.

"No wonder they couldn't give us a description," Larry says.

"Do you think you can do anything with the picture?"

"I'll try." The tech taps a few keys.

"Maybe we can find a better shot," Larry suggests. The technician continues to move the tape frame by frame. A few seconds later, the camera catches a quick shot of her face.

"I should be able to work with that." Jeff pushes a few more buttons, pictures flash across the screen. He looks back to find the detectives anxiously watching. "This may take a while, guys." 

"Maybe not." Larry points to the computer.

Jeff skims through the information. "Your mystery woman's name is Katelyn Johnson. She has several priors for drugs and one for prostitution." The tech scribbles down the address and then hands it to them.

"Thanks, Jeff."

"Yeah, thanks," George says as he squeezes out of his seat.

***

Sarah decided to start her war with guys Katelyn had recently mentioned and then expand her crusade from there. She tries to recall what Katelyn had said as she heads towards the south side of town.
~~~~

"He's the worst one of them all, mom," Katelyn informs her. Her hands shake uncontrollably as she tries to drink her tea. She needed a fix but wasn't sure how she was going to score.

"Why is that, sweetheart?"

"He'll kill anyone who crosses him, or who doesn't make good on their debt. That's why I think it's best if we pay him first."

~~~

"I'll pay him alright; I'll pay him with a bullet straight to his cold, worthless heart." Sarah glances at the weapon beside her. "Him and all of his goons." She smiles.

Sarah finds him on the corner of Nostrand and Park Avenue like Katelyn had said. She wrinkles her nose at the ghastly sight. How in the world did my baby get hooked up with that? She then recalls what Katelyn had put them through. She wasn't a saint.

Sarah rolls down the window as she pulls up to the curb. "Hey, got green for powder?" Sarah nervously states.

"What?" he anxiously takes a step towards her. Not recognizing the face, he backs away.

"I got green for powder." Sarah holds up a wad of cash.

"Are you for real, lady?" He anxiously glances around. His friend was busted a few weeks back and he didn't want to be next.

"Come on, man, I need the stuff."

"You must be trippin if you thinking you can approach me like that."

Sarah lifts her gun up to the window. "No man, you're the one who's tripping, thinking you can get by with killing my girl." Sarah pulls the trigger; his body collapses on the ground.

"She's got a gun," an onlooker yells.

Sarah holds the weapon out further and shoots everyone she sees. "You guys can't take another innocent life, now, can you?" She laughs as she pulls the trigger again.

Sarah watches his crew scatter. She glances behind her to find red and blues barreling down the road.

 

 




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.