Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted April 4, 2017 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Villanelle

A chapter in the book Echoes of Artistry

Speaking of Auden and Icarus

by ~Dovey


Oblivious am I? Could I the ploughman be?
Was I too enthralled when Icarus took his fall?
Proverbial; in this age of technology.

There is suffering on every screen I see;
is it so commonplace, I've tuned it out at all?
Oblivious am I? Could I the ploughman be?

Am I afflicted with DE-sensitivity?
When crisis comes to call, have I built up a wall;
proverbial; in this age of technology.

In this modern age, is my world a refugee?
Since we've abandoned all who only walk or crawl --
oblivious am I? Could I the ploughman be?

Where are those who dared to care?  Will they turn on me?
Our skies are gray with smoke, look away from deathly pall;
proverbial; in this age of technology.

Question; when I die will there be a legacy?
Did Brueghel know all those years ago - I would bawl;
oblivious am I? Could I the ploughman be?

I fear tears cried as I've denied society
allows this dire downfall, yet here I sit and scrawl.
Oblivious am I? Could I the ploughman be?
Proverbial; in this age of technology.



 



Recognized


Artwork: Landscape with the Fall of Icarus, Pieter Brueghel the Elder (1526/1530-1569) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Today I was reading about W H Auden. I'd like to introduce you. Let me begin with a quote, "We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." W H Auden

You'll see below that Auden bent the rules a little in the final couplet of his Villanelle, and I've bent them with DE-sensitivity. Hey, if Seuss and Nash can do it, why can't I? :) I'm feeling like a kindred spirit here. As you'll read in his bio, Auden was quite diverse in the styles he wrote and in his emulation of the Masters. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy this selection.

Kim

Bio (excerpt from https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poet/w-h-auden)

Wystan Hugh Auden was born in York, England, on February 21, 1907. He moved to Birmingham during childhood and was educated at Christ Church, Oxford. As a young man he was influenced by the poetry of Thomas Hardy and Robert Frost, as well as William Blake, Emily Dickinson, Gerard Manley Hopkins, and Old English verse. At Oxford his precocity as a poet was immediately apparent, and he formed lifelong friendships with two fellow writers, Stephen Spender and Christopher Isherwood.

In 1928, his collection Poems was privately printed, but it wasn't until 1930, when another collection titled Poems (though its contents were different) was published, that Auden was established as the leading voice of a new generation.

Ever since, he has been admired for his unsurpassed technical virtuosity and an ability to write poems in nearly every imaginable verse form; the incorporation in his work of popular culture, current events, and vernacular speech; and also for the vast range of his intellect, which drew easily from an extraordinary variety of literatures, art forms, social and political theories, and scientific and technical information. He had a remarkable wit, and often mimicked the writing styles of other poets such as Dickinson, W. B. Yeats, and Henry James. His poetry frequently recounts, literally or metaphorically, a journey or quest, and his travels provided rich material for his verse.

He visited Germany, Iceland, and China, served in the Spanish Civil war, and in 1939 moved to the United States, where he met his lover, Chester Kallman, and became an American citizen. His own beliefs changed radically between his youthful career in England, when he was an ardent advocate of socialism and Freudian psychoanalysis, and his later phase in America, when his central preoccupation became Christianity and the theology of modern Protestant theologians. A prolific writer, Auden was also a noted playwright, librettist, editor, and essayist. Generally considered the greatest English poet of the twentieth century, his work has exerted a major influence on succeeding generations of poets on both sides of the Atlantic.

W. H. Auden served as a chancellor of the Academy of American Poets from 1954 to 1973, and divided most of the second half of his life between residences in New York City and Austria. He died in Vienna on September 29, 1973

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I was influenced by two poems, "Musee des Beaux Arts," and, "If I Could Tell You," by W H Auden. Auden's poem, "Musee des Beaux Arts," was influenced by Breugel's painting (above) Landscape with the Fall of Icarus.

My thoughts are on our world today, expressed in a Villanelle, as a nod to, "If I Could Tell You," and with very specific references to the themes Auden employed in, "Musee des Beaux Arts."

To learn of Icarus and/or the painting and the poem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C3%A9e_des_Beaux_Arts_(poem)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If I Could Tell You by W H Auden

Time will say nothing but I told you so,
Time only knows the price we have to pay;
If I could tell you I would let you know.

If we should weep when clowns put on their show,
If we should stumble when musicians play,
Time will say nothing but I told you so.

There are no fortunes to be told, although,
Because I love you more than I can say,
If I could tell you I would let you know.

The winds must come from somewhere when they blow,
There must be reasons why the leaves decay;
Time will say nothing but I told you so.

Perhaps the roses really want to grow,
The vision seriously intends to stay;
If I could tell you I would let you know.

Suppose all the lions get up and go,
And all the brooks and soldiers run away;
Will Time say nothing but I told you so?
If I could tell you I would let you know.


Musee des Beaux Arts
W. H. Auden

About suffering they were never wrong,
The old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position: how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along;
How, when the aged are reverently, passionately waiting
For the miraculous birth, there always must be
Children who did not specially want it to happen, skating
On a pond at the edge of the wood:
They never forgot
That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course
Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot
Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse
Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.



In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
Quite leisurely from the disaster; the ploughman may
Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
Water, and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
Had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.







Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.