Romance Fiction posted March 19, 2017 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana and Anderson have some time alone.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Sechs part vier

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Anderson inhaled the scent of Shana's hair. Lavender. I can't do this.

Shana glanced over her shoulder. Their lips were within inches of each other. "Am I ready to take my shot?" She hesitated. "What do I do now?"

Letting go of her hands, Anderson stepped back. "I bet you're hungry." He took out his cell. "Helen, could you heat our dinners? Shana's ready to eat."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 6 part 4

"I'll ask Helen to serve dinner on the patio. The city's night sky is gorgeous." Anderson placed his hand in the small of Shana's back and led her toward the door.

Shana flinched at his touch. "It's late for dinner. I figured you would've already eaten."

"I didn't have much of an appetite, but I think it's back." Anderson grinned and rubbed his stomach. "I'm starved."

"I guess your pool game helped."

"Maybe." Anderson opened the patio door. After Shana entered, he used the intercom to let Helen know they were ready.

Shana stood at the patio's waist-high stone edge, and stared at the skyline. "It's amazing. So many different lights."

Anderson walked over and placed his hands on the edge. "It is. Is this the first time you've seen it?"

"Sort of. It looks completely different when you're looking eye-level at the skyscrapers." Shana closed her eyes for a few moments.

When she opened them, Anderson asked, "Is everything all right?"

"Yes. I saw a shooting star, so I made a wish. Don't you?"

"Not normally. Maybe I should start." Anderson turned when he heard the door open.

Axel, Thor, and Romeo sauntered in, followed by Jane.

"You left the boys inside. They weren't happy." Jane smiled. "You know they think they need to be included in everything."

Axel stood on his hind legs beside Anderson, Thor raised himself beside him and placed his paws on the edge. Romeo repeated their actions but did it beside Shana, who smiled and petted the dog's head.

"I see you've made friends with Romeo," said Jane. "He does tend to grow on people. I think it's his sweet as well as protective personality."

"I think it's his soft, brown eyes. They warmed my heart." Shana leaned over and hugged the dog.

"So you're a sucker for big, brown eyes." Anderson's brown eyes twinkled.

"I guess." Shana pointed. "What's that big building over there?"

"432 Park Avenue. It's this city's second tallest building. It's the tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere, but its reign's almost over. There are two more being built, and they're both going to be taller."

"Doesn't anybody in this city live in a normal house?"

"You mean a three-bedroom home with a white picket- fence?" asked Jane. After Shana nodded, Jane continued, "I think there are some on the outskirts of the city."

"Is that the type of home you were raised in?" asked Anderson. "I bet you had a dog, too."

Shana pretended to cover Romeo's ears as she whispered, "Nope, a cat."

"Did you hear that, boys? A traitor in our midst," teased Anderson and turned toward Helen as she pushed a cart onto the patio. "I was beginning to think something had happened."

"You don't pay me for everyday leftovers. I had to give you what you're used to," she said as she finished placing dinner on the table.

As Philip entered and sat, Jane and Helen also sat.

Anderson motioned toward the table. "I guess they're waiting for us. We'd better get to the table." He waited as Shana led the way.

Jane waited until Shana and Anderson began eating before she asked, "Have you made any decisions about contacting Jeremy?"

"Who's Jeremy? Who are you talking about?" Anderson's eyebrows rose.

"We discussed Jeremy earlier this evening in your office." Jane faced Anderson.

"Do you mean your second-cousin twice removed? You never called him by name."

"Well, I called him and gave him a heads-up."

"I thought we agreed to think about it before we called," interrupted Philip.

"We sort of did." Jane paused. "I thought about it and decided to call."

"What did you say?" asked Anderson.

Shana set her fork down. "I'm guessing Jeremy has something to do with me. Would anybody like to fill me in?"

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her families painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Ben -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Morozov -- owner of the painting 'Winter-Traum' by Bruno Schmidt

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.




Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of the New York City skyline at night. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.