Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 15, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Was I only dreaming?

This Doomed World

by Ogden


.


I awoke suddenly, feeling a frightening frailty,
and found formerly unseen images assailing me:

Nations historically bound in harmonious order ,
suspiciously sensitive of their mutual borders,

threatening separation of families by force,
In spite their presently productive intercourse,

as shadow semi-citizens without pedigree,
living In this land of the brave and home of the free,

former friends assumed opposing ends
without intention to make amends,

loyal workers deprived of their labors,
and most people didn't trust their neighbors.

Governments were endorsing the brink of war,
Projecting precursors to wars fought before.

Now, with eyes open again, to face a new day, my arrival
is surrounded by uncertainty of the free world's survival!
-o-
A leap too far, or the way things are?




Concerned about the future? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Concerned about the future? Write a rhyming poem with that theme.
20 lines or fewer
No sound, animation or other special effects.
One-color font on one-color background
One illustration (optional)


I think a great many of us are wishing we could wake up and find that our Donald Trump experience has been only a bad dream. How could so many terrible things have happened in such a short time!?

To sum it up:

Willfully forsaking American values, President Trump, in his domestic politics, more than once, has challenged the guarantees of The Bill of Rights. He callously has abandoned the underprivileged and the elderly, by withholding Medicaid from his health care proposal. Remember, throughout his presidential campaign, he promised that, if elected, under his "plan," no Americans would go without health insurance, and their coverage would be better and more affordable. He knew that would be impossible, but promised it because he knew it would sound wonderful to voters. Recently, he accidentally let it slip that he never had a plan ("Nobody knew Health Care could be so complicated"). As if to illustrate that, he cobbled together a doomed proposal that would offer coverage much more expensive than ObamaCare, leaving great numbers of the most vulnerable Americans uncovered. As we are seeing, his other campaign promises were just that, unfulfillable, or made with no intention to carry them out.

At the same time, Trump and his advisors have been openly fomenting xenophobia, antisemitism, and misogyny.

The free world is in flux, confused, unsure of our allegiance. They see the White House values as upside-down, with our president admiring dictators and alienating our friends.

Now that it has been proven that he lied, in this case a federal crime, accusing Barack Obama of illegally tapping his phone, Trump, at this writing, (exactly two months after his inauguration) is making futile efforts to explain away his unbelievable blunder.

Let's all hope this one ISN'T a dream.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ogden All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ogden has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.