Fantasy Science Fiction posted February 20, 2017 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Archie and Ayala make a horrifying discovery.

A chapter in the book Humanity Project

Hufacs

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Archie and Ayala begin to read the book, Humanity Project, Archie found in Junior's office the night before. Inside they find an unholy experiment perpetrated on the people of Hokee.
End of Last Chapter:


 "Here's the Table of Contents," Archie said. "Pick any chapter you want to read."

Ayala stared at the page for a few moments, then pointed at Chapter One. "Why don't you start here? I'd like to see what's in the HUFAC Manifesto. Let's see if you and Sani are right about the experiment."

"Are you sure you really want to know? Ignorance can be bliss."

"I think it's too late for bliss, Senator."

Archie nodded and turned to Chapter One. He cleared his throat and began reading softly so as not to disturb the others.

In order to repair generations of poor breeding and bad choices, my colleagues and I have taken on a task with possible heroic ramifications. In the process, we have made a discovery that may change the world as we know it.

The Story Continues:


After years of research and experimentation, we have found a way to take human DNA, graft in small amounts we've taken from animals, and produce sustainable embryos. We have implanted many of these embryos into human wombs, creating offspring that are man-like in appearance, but retain strengths and attributes of the contributing animals. Each of twelve creature types have been placed in separate houses in Hokee, which bear the names of the animal donors.

We call our new creations, Hufacs, short for, 'humanity factor' to remind us of their human side. Nevertheless, they are legally classified as animals. This gives us permission to experiment on them without regard for human rights. Once we are sure the creatures are stable, and breed true to form, they will be reclassified.

During our years of development, we discovered the exact number and types of genes that can be used to ensure offspring display an ideal mixture of human and animal characteristics. Unfortunately, not all infants turn out optimal. For the sake of research, these subjects have been kept alive, but housed in a separate facility called Mine City, which is located in a protected area described in chapter 15. There, they work to mine precious ores used to finance our experiment.

Also included in Mine City are subjects who were initially placed in Hokee, but started displaying animal behavior or dreams. They were then moved to Mine City to guarantee the safety and sanctity of the inhabitants of Hokee.

Once all details have been worked out in Stage One, we will enter Stage Two, where limited breeding will be allowed under intense supervision. Until this time, all subjects will be sterilized at puberty, and any unwanted pregnancies disposed of immediately.

All Hufac infants are born in the hospital wing at Hokee, and kept there until they turn five years of age. At this time, their humanity level is determined, and they are sent either to Mine City, or Hokee. These children are not orphans as we've told the inhabitants of Hokee. They have human host mothers, and sperm contributing fathers. DNA grafting comes after the embryo is fertilized.

Thus far, we have successfully reproduced crosses with the twelve species: hawks, hares, wasps, coyotes, tarantulas, donkeys, rats, snakes, ants, buzzards, deer, and cougars. There is a chapter dedicated to each house, describing the individual duties of the people living there. Also listed in the chapter are the names of the children and their human DNA contributors. We will not try any other animal blends at this time.

The intention of this experiment, nay genetic revolution, is to produce a stronger breed of humanity to be renamed, Homo animalia. Finally, it is the belief of the scientists involved in this experiment, that our new species will remove mankind's frailty, while retaining its integrity.

Archie slammed the book shut and looked at a wide-eyed Ayala. "There's more, but I don't have the heart to read it."

"So . . . I'm an animal?" she stuttered. "That can't be. Animals are disgusting . . . they're the enemy. Do I look like an animal, Archie?"

"No more than I. The whole idea is absurd."

"But, it's true," Sani spoke up. His clear blue eyes opened, and he looked at Archie and Ayala. "I've been to Mine City, and spoken to the inhabitants. Because of their concern about the project, I decided to go to Hokee to set things right."

"You were with us for more than a year," Ayala said. "You took your time setting things right, didn't you?"

"I had to wait for help to arrive."

"I guess by that, you mean me?" Archie asked.

Sani grinned. "I took what I could get. Now, Ayala, I know all of this is a bit of a shock, but don't let it get to you. In reality, we're all animals."

Ayala buried her head in her hands, and let it drop to her raised knees. "It's not the same, and you know it. My people are nothing more than lab rats. You and Sani were right about the experiment."

"I don't care what this book says," Archie said. "You can think, feel, and make decisions, and that makes you human. When we get back to civilization, I'll help you fight for your freedom. Sani was right about me finding you. What better person than a US Senator, whose father is the President?"

Ayala's eyes were filled with tears as she lifted her head and looked at her companions. "Archie, you can't let us loose on society. Take us back to Hokee where we can live out our lives in seclusion, and forget you ever met us. There's no telling what harm our genes could do to the rest of the world."

"I'm not going to do that." Archie's voice rose in indignation, waking Koko from a deep slumber.

"What's going on?" she asked. She sat up and looked at the serious faces staring back. Her eyes fell on the book in Archie's lap. "You've been reading it, haven't you?"

"Yes," Ayala said, and then hesitated. She looked at Archie, who shook his head, no.

"What's it about?" Koko asked.

"We don't know for sure," Archie said. "We just got started reading the introduction. We were about to look at the Coyote House chapter to see if you and Ayala's names are there. It says that all the kids and their parents are listed. Do you want to look with us?"

"Oh, that would be great." She leaned forward, resting a free hand on her midsection. 

Ayala's eyes met Archie's as they exchanged unbidden concern for the condition of her unborn child. They both blushed. Koko, mistaking the reason for the exchange, smiled warmly. Archie opened the book to chapter 8, Coyote House.

 



Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, "Eagles Flight" by rockinjonz1. Brilliant job, my friend!

A note on the purpose of the animal DNA discovery. This book is intended to be Science Fiction and Fantasy, but it has an underlying theme. There have been groups of people throughout time that have been treated as less than human, even experimented on in some cases. it's also to bring up any discrimination against other groups of people. It happened in the past, and is still happening today. The poor, ethnic groups, sexual orientation, mental illness, people from other countries, etc. There is a lot of different types of experimentation where we try to "cure" what we don't understand. It is my intention to use a fantasy environment to teach cultural tolerance, while telling a yarn. Thank you to those of you who look beyond the story.

Summary of the book so far:

Archie Franklin is a United States Senator from the State of Texas. He's also the President's son.
He was traveling the west, scoping out New Mexico for a committee he was on, when a deer ran in front of his Ferrari and caused him to crash.

He was rescued from the desert by a group from a cult-like village called Hokee. In this town, the people are part of an experiment to improve the human condition by taking orphans and raising them isolated from many of the modern conveniences that make mankind weak.

The children, as young as 5, are placed in houses named after animals, but otherwise taught animals are dangerous and unclean. Each "house" has a particular job in the community based on the attributes of the representative animal.

The leader, Leander, chooses what children are brought to the village. He doesn't want anyone to know about the compound so they can maintain isolation. Archie is now a prisoner, but has befriended a young lady, Koko, whose husband has come up missing, and is assumed imprisoned in a penal mining colony.

Working against odds, the two hope to escape and protect Koko's unborn child. Having babies at stage one of the experiment is forbidden by the scientists in charge. Teens are sterilized at puberty to avoid pregnancies, but occasionally one will be conceived. Standard operating procedure is to perform an abortion, but Koko is willing to fight against all she's grown up to believe to give her child a chance at life.

Now, Archie, Koko and Sani have escaped the complex after the old miner, Sani, set off an explosive distraction. On the way through a fence, they ran into Ayala, Koko's "sister" who tried to stop them. In order to ensure her silence, they tied her up and took her with them.

After traveling all night, they stopped at dawn to dig a shelter under the sand. Covering themselves with a blanket they wove from plants, they are resting from enemies and the heat of the day.

Archie and Koko begin to read a book Archie rescued from Hokee before they left. It is the story of the experiment called The Humanity Project.

These are the 12 houses of Hokee:

Hawk: Where Leander Jr. lives. They are the strict rulers of the compound, answerable only to Leander Sr..

Cougar: The strong arms of the Hawks. They dish out whatever punishment is required, even to sending miscreants to another settlement they have up North in the mines.

Coyote: The one Archie and Ayala are in: Job: Teachers and professors. Allowed more knowledge of the "outside world".

Ant: Considered unclean, these people tend meat and fur animals outside the village

Tarantula: Architects, and menders

Donkey: Transportation and communication

Wasp: Prepare and serve food

Deer: Sports and entertainment

Hare: Make and distribute clothing

Rat: Childcare

Snake: healthcare

Buzzards: Clean up crew, maintain sewer and custodial chores


General Summary of the Book:

Young Texas Senator, Archie Franklin, finds himself marooned in the desert with a group of people who are more than they appear to be on the surface.

Hokee: Name of the village Archie is held in. It means, "The abandoned."

Characters:

Archimedes (Archie) Franklin: High energy, main protagonist, who is, also, a Senator from Texas, and son of the President of the United States, Andrew Franklin.

Ayala: Female head of household in the house Archie finds himself imprisoned.

Andrew (Andy) Franklin: President of the United States, and father of Archie.

Koko: Ayala's best friend in Coyote House, close as sisters, born on the same day.

Todd: Koko's husband

Sani: Old man. Used to be a miner up north. Another trapped refugee from the desert. An ally in the quest to escape.

Leander: Head scientist in charge of the structure of Hokee. His son, Leander, is in charge of daily operations.

Junior: Leander's son, who lives in the Hawk house. He's personally a coward, but rules Hokee with an iron fist.

Others to be listed as they appear in the book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by rockinjonz1 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.