Romance Script posted January 30, 2017 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Prose Potlatch-Script, An Old Couple

A chapter in the book Scripts

Ahhh Sweet Youth

by michaelcahill



 
Fade in
 
A couple walks slowly along a pathway in a deserted park at night. One has a cane and their pace is slow, but they don't seem to be laboring and the one with the cane doesn't seem to rely on it. It's cloudy, the moon and stars are obscured and they appear as shadows. There is a feeling of age watching them.
 

Characters:
Arlene: She's cheerful, overly so and that seems to be an irritant to her partner.
 
Lydia: She carries a cane though she doesn't need it. She has opinions and they all seem come to by some bitter revelation. She's grumpy and appears all the more so compared to Arlene.
 
The two of them approach a bench under an unlighted streetlight. They both sit though neither signals the other of their plans.
 
Lydia leans her cane against the bench which promptly falls to the ground. She waves her hand at it, dismissing it.
 
Lydia
To hell with it. Piece of crap.
 
Arlene
You act as though it fell on purpose.
 
Lydia
It did. Damn disloyal hunk of nothing. I just carry it for the great style and sophistication it gives me. It also gives muggers pause. The thought of a nasty old bag chasing them with a cane is one helluva deterrent, believe me. Hell, I could be a retired secret agent with a dagger in the tip.
 
Arlene
Could be? I have no doubt you are. That's what I signed on for. Well, and the hot sex too. Can't forget about that. You haven't forgot, have you?
 
Lydia
Hot sex? Ahhh ... yes, that's when we go overboard with the Ben Gay, emphasis on Gay! Damn, I'm sharp. Well, I'm game. Thank God we're not men, eh? I hear it falls off by the time they're our age. A lot of good the blue pill does that. Why are you so frisky anyway, is your birthday coming up? My watch hasn't beeped.
 
Arlene
I can't help it if my youth is intimidating. I don't want to pressure you. They say that 80 is the new 70, is that true? I want to prepare myself.
 
Lydia rises slowly kicking her cane. She walks a few feet away.
 
Lydia
Eighty sucks, that's what eighty is. It's worse than seventy, bad enough to want to check out before ninety, I can tell you that.
 
Arlene
Dammit, honey. What's the point in bitching? It doesn't change anything.
 
Lydia
Yeah ... but it gets the blood flowing. Spread that blanket out. Maybe someone will walk by and get the shock of their lives.
 
Arlene starts unbuttoning her blouse. She stands and takes a thin blanket out of her large purse and lays it behind the bench.
 
Arlene
I'm hoping for cops. That's always a hoot.
 
Lydia walks over and picks up her cane.
 
Lydia
I'll be ready for 'em.
 
She stabs at the dark with her cane. Her skirt is already on the ground.

 
The End




 
 






Write a one act play or scene from a movie or television show relating to the following theme:

An old couple, one cheerful and one grumpy. You may place them anywhere from their front porch to a rocket ship to Mars or anything in between.

Add as many characters as you wish or just keep it to the two of them, your choice.

Remember, you're writing something that people will WATCH, so set the scene and keep your characters in motion so the viewer can SEE the action unfold.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.