General Poetry posted January 27, 2017 Chapters:  ...432 433 -434- 435... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Decannelle Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Winter Dreams of Lilacs

by Treischel




Snow lays heavy on grounds frozen.
Winter settles in once more.
Trees are barren. Plants now covered.
Thoughts of spring come to the fore.
Long to see the lilacs blooming --
fragrant flowers I adore
lavender clusterss, land gracing
with contrasting leaves of green.
Memories of which I'm dreaming,
interrupt a bleak routine.






Winter can be beautiful as well as bleak. Thoughts of spring do creep in.

This poem is a Decannelle.
The Decannelle was created by Joseph Nutter and made popular in 1949 when it was published in a poetry magazine. The odd numbered lines have unrhymed feminine endings, while the even number lines have rhymed masculine endings.

The Decannelle is:
1. A decastich, a poem in 10 lines.
2. Metered in trochaic tetrameter with alternating 8-7-8-7-8-7-8-7-8-7 syllables causing the odd numbered lines to end with feminine end words, and the even lines having two end rhymes (a and b).
3. Rhymed. The rhyme scheme is: xaxaxaxbxb (with the x being the unrhymed line). Sort of a hop-scotch rhyming pattern of every other line.

This photograph was taken by the author himself last spring on May 12, 2016.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.