General Poetry posted January 22, 2017 Chapters:  ...433 434 -435- 436... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Boutonniere Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Baffling Vision

by Treischel


Thought that I was dreaming here.
Saw a vision gleaming near.
What was this before my eyes?
Possibly a butterfly?
Origin is quite unknown,
tucked in byway, all alone.
Surely, it is made of stone.
Baffled by this scene surprise.
"Oh, I see it!" Cried aloud.
Water's surface has allowed
Arch reflection twice endowed.
Thought that I was dreaming here.
Saw a vision gleaming near.






Late last fall I was out enjoying the seasons colors while walking along a lagoon at Lake Phalen in St. Paul, Minnesota. While crossing a footbridge I turned to look upstream and was confronted with this vision. At first I didn't know what it was. Then I realized that I was looking at the archway of the Frost Street Bridge reflected in the water, with tree branches obscuring the rest of the bridge. Luckily I had my camera with me. So, here's a poem describing that moment.

This poem is Boutonniere.
The Boutonniere seems to be an exercise in writing in catalectic trochaic meter. In other words, the stress comes first in each metric foot (trochee), but the last foot of the line, drops the last unstressed syllable (catalectic), so the poem starts and completes on a stressed syllable. Trochaic tetrameter would be described as a a series of stressed (S) and unstressed (u) syllables as follows: Su / Su/ Su/ Su (tetrameter, 8 syllables). Catalectic trochaic tetrameter would be Su/Su/Su/S (7 syllables). This format was created by Ann Byrnes Smith.

The Boutonniere is:
1. Written in 13 lines.
2. It is metered in catalectic trochaic tetrameter. Su/Su/Su/S.
3. Rhymed. The rhyme scheme is: A1,A2,bbcccbddd,A1,A2
4. Refrained, L1 is repeated as L12 and L2 is repeated as L13.
If you know me, you know I especially like the two sets of triple rhymes.

The picture was taken by the author himself on October 16, 2016.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.