Romance Fiction posted January 15, 2017 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson goes to the Metropolitan Art Museum.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Four part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Philip checked his watch and motioned to Anderson; who nodded.

Anderson finished his coffee and stood. "I'd better get ready for my museum trip." He took out his cell and called Jeff. "I'll be leaving in about ten minutes. Please have my car ready."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 4 part 2

When Anderson left the parking garage, he noticed two men standing at the entrance. As he drove past them, one made a phone call. It wasn't long before a black sedan followed him to the Metropolitan Art Museum.

Anderson looked around the museum and noticed much of the artwork was placed in rooms that indicated where or who they were on loan from. All I have to do is find the 'Litzlberg am Attersee' and the placement should tell me who owns it.

Anderson stood beside a security man. "Excuse me. I've heard you have a wonderful display of Gustav Klimt's work."

"We have two of his pieces. The 'Litzlberg am Attersee' and 'The Kiss' which is on loan from Vienna, Austria."

"Could you direct me to them?" asked Anderson.

"Certainly. They're in two different locations. 'The Kiss' is straight down this hall and to your left." The man used his hands to indicate directions. "It's in our Central Europe exhibit. The 'Litzlberg am Attersee'; you'll take the same hall, but halfway down you'll need to make a right into a room of Goya's work, go straight through, and into the next room. You'll find it hanging on the left wall."

After thanking the security guard, Anderson headed for the designated hall. I'll see 'The Kiss' first. I don't want to appear too eager.

Anderson spent time viewing and reading about the painting. "The painting was bought by the Belvedere Museum before it was finished. They paid 25,000 crowns or about $240,000 today." That's a heck of a lot for an unfinished painting. He continued reading. "Austria considers 'The Kiss' a national treasure'. Although the painting reflects a collision of artistic styles, it's a prime example of Klimt's 'Golden Period'."

He stepped back and stared at the painting. It's huge. It must be close to six feet square. It's amazing how he mingled the gold leaf into the oil paints. That must be why he's so famous. I'd better check on Klimt's painting that's causing Shana so much trouble.

*****

This is a beautiful painting, but it's nothing like 'The Kiss'. It's not nearly as large; maybe thirty-six inches square. Klimt must have liked square paintings. Anderson moved closer. That man's way too close. What's he doing?

As a security lady asked the man to step back, Anderson moved to another painting, but kept an eye on the man who was close to the painting. He's fingering something. What? He looked up and saw a security camera. I'd love to get a look at that.

The man walked into the hallway. Anderson stopped next to the hallway entrance and studied a painting; leaning as much as possible toward the arched doorway. He noticed the man was on his phone and edged as close as he dared, hoping to overhear part of the conversation.

He called the man, Ivan. Who's Ivan? Anderson tried to move closer. Did he say he couldn't place it on the painting? Place what on the painting?

He released a deep breath as the man walked away. That got me nowhere. I just have more questions. I'll find out who owns the painting and go home. He moved close enough to the painting to check the owner's name. "Ivan Kuznetsov ! Who's that? Maybe the same Ivan?" He left the exhibit.

Sitting in his car, Anderson called Philip. "Have a background check run on Ivan Kuznetsov . He owns the painting and may have wanted something placed on it. I don't believe in coincidences. I'm on my way home."


Characters so far:
Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her families painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff -- takes care of Anderson's cars
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident
Ben -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Morozov -- owner of the painting 'Litzlberg am Attersee' by Gustav Klimt
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it.






Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of the Metropolitan Art Museum in New York City. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I'm listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.