Self Improvement Non-Fiction posted January 11, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A short story in regard to a troubling dream I had.

Zeath The Messenger

by Maureen Sky

In my dreams recently, I have had this creature emerge from the darkness of what makes no sense to me at all. I am a bit fearful of this thing, whatever it is. It is always outside of my bedroom window at night looking in at me with an eerie stare. The bedroom window I speak of, is that of my bedroom window from the home I shared with my ex-husband and our two children. The house we lived in was a nightmare of a dwelling as it became a dinosaur of sorts in that the house had many problems and was totally unfinished in its construction.

I must explain that my ex-husband was one to start many projects with lots of energy and enthusiasm, only to lose that enthusiasm near the halfway point of completion on nearly each and every project he would start. Not sure why this was his pattern at the time, but to live in that environment with the roller coaster of events in regard to the construction all around us, it was a nightmare all its own. Looking back, I believe he suffered and continues to suffer, from perhaps bipolar disorder or some form of depression that never got diagnosed. Anxiety being the driving force for his questionable behavior. I truly don't want to judge him with this story, but rather to just convey the story as it was for me at that time.

This thing, this creature, call it what you may, is not something you see every day. Its' face is very dark and its' stature is tall with long dark feathery hair. Dreaming, I am seeing this thing from that old window in the dark of night. It appears to have black and white throughout the torso, arms and legs much like a zebra with the wavy pattern going on. It also has long creepy fingernails anxiously waiting to grab onto something and tear it to shreds. The entire head area of this thing has like what appears to be a headdress of feathers, much like hair extensions that make for a full head of wispy, creepy feathers. I cannot quite make out what the feet of this thing look like as the window only allows me about a two-thirds scarry view.

It stares straight at me from a distance of about four feet from that old dark window. Maybe it is just as curious about me and what I look like to it as it is to me? As I ponder this question, I am questioning the reasons that could be why I am seeing this creepy thing in my dreams at this time in my life. Could it be this diet I am on where I have cut out ninety-five percent of the carbohydrates and sugars I had been used to eating? Could it be due to the fact that I am worried about my current husband, Eddie, (now eighty-two years old) who just suffered a minor stroke and I sense my days with him are now being numbered? They say that your dreams are meant to tell you something about what is going on in your life. Could this creepy thing be death itself or it's messenger?

After several repititious dreams like this, I decided I am going to give this creepy thing a name. I decided too, that it is a male as it has more of a masculine vibe to me. I will name it "Zeath", pronounced just like the word death. I purposely put the letter "Z" as the first letter in this name because "Z" in the alphabet is obviously the last letter, so as to represent "the end." I also will find a way to deal with Zeath the next time he comes creeping up in my dreams as I believe I am learning exactly what he is up to and what he represents. Possibly he is here to tell me there is fear of the unkown and I need to own the fear and take control. Aha! Therefore, it is I who needs to change the emotion that follows when I see Zeath in my dreams. I need to "dress him up" so to speak and make him less fearful to the human eye.

I have decided that Zeath will now be wearing pink nail polish on those creepy fingernails. Pretty pink bows will now be adorning the ends of those wispy long feathers on his head. The black and white swirling colors of his body will now remind me of a curious zebra who just wants to wander and play. As for Zeath staring in at me from that old bedroom window, I will be sure to have my old stereo by the bed playing old songs from bands such as "The Beatles." Songs like, "Hey Jude", "Birthday", Yellow Submarine", and "Rocky Racoon", etc. Because, if Zeath is going to continue to visit, he might as well learn who the Beatles were and become a rock star! I will be rocking on and Zeath can either join me or go back to where he came from. Eddie and I are staying alive!



What's Up With That Dream? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story in regard to a dream that you have experienced that may have troubled you in some way. What did you do to help yourself through it?


I have not had any more of these dreams and I am thrilled about that. I am also eager to read all your stories about troubling dreams and how you coped with them.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Maureen Sky All rights reserved.
Maureen Sky has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.