General Fiction posted December 26, 2016 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Jewish Sabbath meal is shared.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Three part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Why would anybody care about where I exercise your dogs?" Ben paused. "Oh yeah, a man walked by and told me I needed to muzzle those dogs. Can you believe it? They weren't bothering anybody." He turned to leave. "I need to get going. I've got a big test tomorrow."

"Have you had dinner, yet?" After Ben said he hadn't, Anderson gave him some cash and said, "There's a pizza place around the corner. Have some dinner."

"Thanks."

Anderson watched Ben leave and then called the company in charge of his security and ordered a permanent detail on Ben.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 3 part 2

Jane knocked on Shana's door, carrying luggage. When Shana opened it, her eyes widened. "How did you manage to get this?"

"Drew works wonders. I'm not sure how he did it but I do know he sneaked it in and those bad guys don't know it's here. You might want to check and make sure everything's here. Men don't pack as well as we do."

Shana smiled when she saw the Tanakh lying on top. She picked it up and held it to her chest.

"I see they got the Hebrew Bible and packed it."

"They probably didn't notice the candles." Shana lifted clothing to check under it.

"I'm sure they didn't. We have plenty of candles. I'll get you some."

"It's all right."

Both ladies turned their heads when they heard a soft bell through the intercom.

Jane smiled. "Helen's telling us dinner's ready."

"I'll be there in a minute. I need to freshen up."

With a nod, Jane opened the door. "I'll leave Romeo with you. A lady should always be escorted to dinner." She left Shana alone with the dog.

Shana removed a simple dress from her suitcase and held it up. This will have to do. I don't own anything really fancy. She quickly grabbed her toothbrush and toothpaste and headed for the bathroom.

She turned as the dog brushed up against her. "I guess you think you need to follow me everywhere. You do not. I can do this myself. Now, go lie down." When the dog continued to stand beside her, she asked, "Can you please wait in the hall?" She opened the door and motioned for him to leave.

He tilted his head and looked at her.

"I guess I'm stuck with you, but you are not going into the bathroom with me." She secured the door behind her.

*****

As Shana and her escort entered the dining room, she heard Jane ask, "Are you sure those candles are kosher?"

Anderson entered from the other direction. "Whoever heard of kosher candles?"

"Evidently, Jane." Helen shook her head. "She researched this on-line. I guess you can find anything there. Honestly, I don't think there's such a thing as kosher candles. A candle is a candle. I have white; that's good enough." She quieted as she noticed Shana standing in the door way. "Sorry, I...."

"It's fine." Shana turned to face Anderson. "Kosher candles don't contain animal fat."

Helen held out two candles. "These don't have any animal fat. Does it matter if they're light blue?"

"My family mostly used white, but color doesn't matter." Shana hesitated. "You really don't need to fuss over me."

Jane exhaled a deep breath. "I do, dear. My grandma was Jewish. My grandpa had promised her family he'd allow her to raise the children Jewish and he did not." Her eyes met Anderson's. "Can we encompass the Jewish traditions while Shana's here?"

"You don't need to."

"I don't see why not," interrupted Anderson. "Please go ahead."

Helen removed the two white candles and placed the two blue candles in their place.

Jane read from her phone. "The mitzvah or lighting of the candles belongs to the woman of the house. I guess that would be Shana." She handed matches to Shana. "Please continue."

"It's tradition to first light the candles and then recite a blessing."

"Wait a minute," said Jane. "It says here, and I quote, 'It is custom for everyone at the table to exchange a kiss before the blessing is said.' I think we should."

"Only in some families is that customary." Shana's cheeks turned pink.

"Is it a custom in your family?" asked Anderson.

"We're not family." Shana's face turned quickly to red.

"So it is a custom in your family." Jane laid her phone on the table. "Then we will. Shana, light the candles."

After the candles were lit, Jane went around the table and kissed everybody's cheek. Helen and Philip followed.

Anderson leaned toward Shana. "You weren't too fond of our hug. Are you going to treat the kiss the same way?"

Shana reached up and pecked Anderson's cheek. Romeo pawed her thigh. "I refuse to kiss you." She went back to the candle. "My family continues this way." She circled the flames with her hands three times.

Jane checked her phone and whispered, "It's a mystical gesture drawing in the light, which is a universal symbol of God's presence."

Shana chanted first in Hebrew and then repeated it in English, "Holy One of Blessing, Your Presence Fills Creation; You make us holy with Your commandments and call us to light the lights of Shabbat."

"What about the wine?" asked Helen.

"I doubt the wine's kosher." Jane's eyes met Shana's. "Wine has to be made under rabbinical supervision, correct?"

"Water's fine with me." Shana looked around the table. "I think it's time to eat."

"We have to bless bread, wash hands, and then bless dinner." Jane looked up from her phone.

Helen reached over and took the phone. "Shana, please bless the food. It's getting cold." She frowned at Jane. "Is there a blessing for this phone?"

"We usually say a blessing after the meal. I guess with all the blessings before eating, they decided we could save one for later." Shana smiled.

"Good. Let's eat. I'm starved." Anderson helped himself to the salad.

As the meal continued, Anderson asked, "Shana, I know the painting's worth millions of dollars, but there has to be something else these people are after. Do you have any ideas?"

"No. I grew up hearing stories about the stolen artwork. It was always about the Nazis stealing it. The Russians were never mentioned." Shana took a drink of water. "I never imagined I'd ever see those art pieces. Then I accidentally discovered it over spring break."

Philip glanced at his ringing cell phone and stood. "The ID indicates it's from the motel. I'd better take it. Please excuse me." He walked into another room.

Anderson stood, walked to the doorway, and waited.

"Drew," whispered Philip. "The hotel receptionist has two men at her desk asking to see Ms. Kohlberg. She told them that Shana had checked out. They want more information. What should I tell her?"

"Tell her...."

"Shh, you don't want them to hear you."

Anderson lowered his voice. "Tell her you have no idea who Ms. Kohlberg is." He shook his head and returned to the table. "This isn't good," he muttered. His eyes met Shana's. "Are you sure you have no idea what this is all about?"

"Positive." Tears welled.


*****
Many fans have asked for a character list. I don't like doing them, but here's my version of a character list.

Characters so far:
Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to recover her family's painting

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff -- takes care of Anderson's cars

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Ben -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd




Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a woman lighting the Sabbath Candles. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I am listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.