Commentary and Philosophy Script posted December 15, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The debate

Undocumented

by lancellot

Act 1
Scene 1

Characters:
Congressman Adam Schapiro: 60 year old male; married father of three; Lawyer; Graduate of University of Chicago class of 81’. Political Party: Republican. He sits on various Congressional committees including Immigration and Education. Guest Speaker and friend of Professor McClain.

Maria Vargas: 28 year old Latina; Degree in Chemistry. Political Affiliation: Democrat/socialist; Works for Albert Labs as a Chemist. Also, teaches at Chicago city colleges. She is an undocumented resident who came to hear the Congressman speak.

Professor Tom McClain: 55 year old male, Political Science instructor at the University of Chicago. Political Affiliation- Independent. Former Illinois State Representative 23rd. district. Friend of Congressman Schapiro.

Joylene Carlyle: 22 year old black female, 3rd year student; major Urban Development; Political Affiliation: Democrat, from Chicago; Vice President of the Black Student’s Union; activist
 
Setting: December 13, 2016 2pm; University of Chicago Lecture hall; course: Political Science 315. The room is packed with students and a few members of the faculty. Several students are recording with cell phones.

Congressman Schapiro completes his speech on the importance of education financing and student loan reform. He is about to open the floor to questions from his place on stage.

Congressman: Okay, I thank you all for your indulgence and apt attention. I will now open the floor to questions. Please line up at the microphone in this middle aisle here. Oh, I see you’ve been through this before.

Multiple students begin lining up at the microphone.

Congressman: Alright, yes, young lady. What is your name and your question?

Maria: My name is Maria Vargas. My question is only slightly related to your speech but given your membership on various important committees and  that your party now or will control the White House as well as Congress I wanted to ask about President-elect Trump’s and the Republicans' thoughts on immigration.

Many students suddenly raise their cell phones and point them at the Congressman.

Congressman: Well, that’s quite a bit. Let me first say that I do not nor can I speak for another person, including President-Elect Trump no more than I can speak for you. Um…I don’t mean to pry but given your question, are you undocumented or in the country illegally? You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.

Maria: Yes, I am undocumented; originally from El Salvador. I was brought here as a child by my parents through no fault of my own. While here I finished High School at the top of my class, graduated university with a B.A. and a Masters in Chemistry. I work as a Chemist and I teach in community college. I’ve never been arrested or committed a crime, and I love America.

Multiple people begin clapping and snapping their fingers.

Congressman: Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Maria: Thank you, but given all that I and many other immigrants have contributed to this country that we love. (Crying) Why do you want to separate us from it and break-up our families? Why do you want to deport us?

Group of students (yelling): No deport, no deport, no deport.

A young woman in the front row stands up and points at the congressman.

Joylene (yells): Shame. Shame on you! Acknowledge her pain. Why won’t you acknowledge the pain you’re causing her? Where’s your humanity?

Professor McClain briefly steps forward and extends his hands to the audience.

Professor: Alright settle down. Remember, respect for one means respect for all.

The students begin to quiet down.
Joylene goes and cuts in line behind Maria.
Congressman Schapiro takes a sip of water from a bottle on the podium.

Congressman: (smiles) Tom was right; you’re a very lively and empathetic group. I remember back when we were students and sat out there just like you are today. Tom and I had a history professor. He had crazy, wild, white hair and always carried a tobacco pipe… never lighted it, but always had it.
One day we were upset about something, maybe the war on drugs or something I can’t recall but… I’ll never forget what he told us when we got all riled up.

He said, “It’s good that you have passion and emotion, and though it is our ability for compassion that defines our humanity, it is the fact that we can think and reason with logic that defines us as human.”

The Congressman pauses and the entire room is silent.

Congressman: (looks at Maria) Anyway, back to your question. As I’ve stated. I am happy that you’ve accomplished so much in your life.
(Pauses with his hand on his chin) Let me address it this way. My son, when he was twelve came to me one day.

He said, “Dad, dad, I cleaned my room, my bathroom, and I did all my homework for the week. Can I have ten dollars?”

Now, all this work by my son was quite unusual so I had to inspect things. Sure enough, he had cleaned everything pretty well considering and he did his homework too… mostly all right. I patted him on the head and said, “Good job, son.” Then I started to walk away.

Well, he ran up to me and said, “Wait, can I have the ten dollars?”

Now, I love my son, and would give my life for him or anyone in my family. I looked down at my boy and said, “I’m glad you did such a good job cleaning your room, your bathroom, and doing your homework, but those things are yours. Taking care of your things benefits you.  Cleaning behind yourself and doing your work are things you’re supposed to do. Why should I reward you for helping yourself and doing what you’re supposed to do? If you wanted me to give you my money, shouldn’t you have cleaned my room and my bathroom?”

Congressman Schapiro leans in on the podium.

Congressman (cont.): Young lady, you’re not supposed to get arrested. You’re not supposed to commit crimes. You are, and this goes for everyone, supposed to finish school and make a good life (points at Maria) for yourself. Make no mistake; all of you will work so you can eat, so you can have clothes or a car or whatever. If doing those positive things also aids the greater society, then all-the-better for you too.

And as for not committing a crime, I won’t put crossing the border illegally on you. That was something your parents did with you in tow. But… you’ve listed a pretty long list of accomplishments that must have taken some time. You look to be about 28 or 29 years old. Let me ask you this. Have you ever tried to get right with the law? When a person arrives here illegally, they are given an opportunity to see an immigration judge. Have you done that? Have you sought out an immigration lawyer and tried to begin the process of fixing what your parents started?

Maria: No, they may deport me.

Congressman: Yes, that is a possibility. It is also possible that the court can rule in your favor and place you on the path to at least legal residence if not citizenship. You say you love this country but did you have faith in it, even before Trump won?

Maria: It’s not that simple. I don’t want the government to break up my family.

Congressman: I was a Prosecutor for twelve years. I was once asked, “How many people did you send to prison?”  I answered, “None, they sent themselves to prison when they decided to break the law.” I have never lost one night’s sleep because I have never blamed myself for the actions and consequences of the actions of others.  The government didn’t break the law. The government didn't grab your hand and bring you across the border. I think you know and now we all know who did.

I know that may not be the answer you wanted to hear, Maria.  The honest truth isn’t always pleasant but I guarantee you, in the long run it will serve you better than a polite lie ever will.

Maria: Thank you.

Congressman: See an immigration lawyer or you can call my office in the morning and we will help you get on the right path. I promise you, I don’t want to lose a hardworking and intelligent young person such as yourself.

The audience murmurs amongst themselves.
Maria lowers her head and leaves the microphone.
Joylene steps forward.

Fade to black.
 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.