General Fiction posted November 23, 2016 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Short story

A chapter in the book Truth and Fantasy

The Race

by Bucketlist

Brett sat among the others (30 in all) waiting for the race to start. He was near the back of the group,but his determination would conquer all, he thought. It was a very hot, humid day, and the air was laden with the smell of fuel. The noise of the revving engines infiltrated through the window.The excitement built up inside him as he had images of the trophy he was going to claim.That same summer he had entered several races, each one more challenging than the previous ones.

Suddenly, the race began and his shiny blue car screeched off. Brett deftly manipulated the gear shift to increase speed. He leaned with the car on the bends as if he was willing the machine to take each one as tightly as it could. He favored the inside track as it showed his prowess at controlling the sleek car. The heat built up and his clothes felt sticky but everything was worth the discomfort he promised himself.
As he overtook three cars on the fourth lap, the engine was humming at top speed. His adrenaline was surging. Gliding into second place made the trees seemed to fly by, and race fans' faces melted into a blur. He could see the heat shimmering off the track , making it appear wet. All types of thoughts tried to invade his concentration but they were quickly dismissed by Brett. Nothing would stop his path to fame -certainly not this time THIS race was going to be his.
He sped past the manmade crash barriers housing a couple of overturned heaps, and up the straight. At least the very next lap would be the final lap to victory. As he raced along he looked challenging at the driver next to him - his only real rival. He slammed the accelerator down to the floor to force every last pulse out of the throbbing engine. Then he leaned even further over at the final bend.He was coming up the home straight in first place and could see the checkered flag approaching when a large shadow fell onto the car.
He heard a voice say "Brett Robinson, stop wriggling about, take off your cap, and put that ruler down. I know that it's hot in here and the traffic outside is very distracting. Do try and concentrate." He looked up, and meekly said "Yes, Miss Williams "




Thanks to cleo85 for the picture
Anyone remember Walter Mitty?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bucketlist All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Bucketlist has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.