Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted November 21, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It's tough to lose.

Blind Entries.

by Spitfire

Blind entries? Are they really?

I’m talking about contests where the poet or author is not allowed to reveal his/her name. Many members have found a way around this by creating a unique style such as a thin border line framing their posts. "Aha, the reader says, "I know who wrote this. He’s a favorite of mine. Forget the rest. I’ll vote for this one."

Other writers circumvent the rule by adding a signature quote to their author’s notes. Chasenov, who is no longer on site, always ended his poems and scripts with "My apologies to the greatest writer in the universe."—well, something like that. I told him to my knowledge, God never owned a pen. Then again, maybe he was referring to Shakespeare or the hundreds of devoted followers who wrote the Bible.

Another way to let voters know the entrant’s name is the use of a particular font in every work he/she ever posted. Moving pictures can also be a tip-off. Not that many writers use them, nor do they insert photos in between stanzas.

I pretty much recognize those who love to use different colors for words or letters. I find this distracts from the content, but voters are dazzled by brilliance.

Maybe Tom had the right idea about splitting the profits among first, second, and third winners. Suddenly there’s no huge gap between winner and losers.

Recently, a prompt offered the entire ninety dollar prize to the winner. I’m talking about the Lowku contest. Voting is on for three days. The first day, four people tied for first place. The second day saw a growth spurt. As in a race, one horse –er- poem bounded forward to take first place with seven votes, now up to eight. The three runner-ups who might have stood a chance to split the funny money are chewing their cuds and wondering what happened. "Where’s my fan club?" they cry. Oh, that’s right. The contestants can’t reveal their names. But what about their signature style or quote in the author’s notes?  Can you find any?

Interesting too, why no one votes after the first day and a half. I have no answer for that.

I leave it to you, dear reader. Do members vote for content, style, or personality?




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Spitfire All rights reserved.
Spitfire has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.