Romance Fiction posted November 20, 2016 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson to the rescue.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter One part Drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Shana glanced over her left shoulder and ran faster. She bumped into a man and almost fell.

"Sorry, sir," Anderson said as he took Shana's arm. "You all right?"

"Why are you following me? Are you with them?" Tears streamed down her cheeks.

"I'm not with anybody. What happened? What scared you?"

She avoided eye contact.

"The men following you are waiting in the hotel lobby, aren't they?"

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 1 part 3

"They've followed me since I left the Metropolitan Museum of Art. How did they find out where I was staying?"

"Did you tell anybody where you were staying?" After she shook her head, Anderson glanced at her satchel. "Are you there for pleasure or business?"

Shana clutched her satchel tighter. "Pleasure."

"You're a lousy liar. Your blinking eyes and the twitching of your bottom lip give you away." Anderson took her hand. "Come with me. I'm sure I can help, or at least keep you safe. How long do you plan to be in the city?"

"I fly home tomorrow." Shana glanced toward her hotel. "Maybe they've left by now."

"I'm pretty sure they're waiting until you arrive." Anderson continued leading her to his car. "You're coming home with me. I'll take you to the airport tomorrow. What time's your flight?"

Shana stiffened and stood still. "I'm not going anywhere with you, especially to your house."

Anderson took a deep breath. "I understand. I'm a stranger, but you helped yourself into my car. You were more scared of those men than a total stranger. You brought me into this mess. I'm trying to help until you fly home. I have no other motive." His eyes met hers. After a silence, he let go of her hand, "I'm done," and began to walk away.

The three men stepped from the hotel doorway onto the sidewalk.

Shana hurried to Anderson's side. "I'll come home with you."

Tilting his head, Anderson looked down at her and then over his right shoulder. He yanked Shana to him, turned her around so his body blocked their view. He put his arms around her and whispered, "Play along. Hug me."

After loudly blowing out air, Shana said, "I don't like this at all."

"Not the normal reaction I get from women, but I guess it's honest." Anderson sighed. "They should leave soon." He glanced over her shoulder toward the hotel. "They're standing around probably trying to figure out what to do next. It shouldn't be much longer. Once they leave, we can go to my car."

"I doubt hugs last this long."

"You'd be surprised how long they can last."

"Don't get any ideas. This is a one-time thing."

"They're walking away." Anderson paused. "Give them a little longer. I want them out of sight." A few moments later, he added, "They're gone."

"Good." Shana released her hug and took three steps back. "That was too close."

"At my house, you should be able to relax."

"I doubt that," she muttered.

Anderson put his hand on the small of her back. "Let's get to the car." Once there, he opened the door. "Your chariot waits, my lady."

"You're treating this like some sort of a game. It's not."

"Life's a game."

"Not where I come from."

*****

Anderson pulled the Jaguar through the entrance of a parking garage. A tall older man, dressed in a uniform, met him at the door. "Hello, Mr. Sharp. Ready to park her for the day? Does she need any maintenance?"

"I don't think so, Joe. How's your family?" After Joe answered, Anderson continued, "Have a nice day." He placed a few dollars in the man's hand as he shook it, before he opened the passenger door. "We're here."

"You live in a parking garage?" Shana tilted her head.

Laughing, he offered help getting from the car. "I think you'll be comfortable with the accommodations."

They walked a few yards before they came to an elevator. Once the door closed, Anderson pushed the button.

"I've never seen an elevator with only one button."

"It's private."

"Oh my!" Shana's eyes widened.






Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a Star of David. I have introduced my usual friends, dogs. I am still holding out on Shana's cat. I don't want a cat in the story. LOL Shana will probably win. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I am listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.