Fantasy Science Fiction posted November 13, 2016 Chapters:  ...25 26 -50- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Tina makes phone calls eliciting help for Emory Settler.

A chapter in the book Humanity Project

DDG Chapter 50--Phone Call Express

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Emory Settler gave Tina Alice the task of calling a long list of supporters to try to get them to help battle the witches and werewolves holding the school hostage at Milton Middle School.
Summary of last chapter:

Nancy, other Daredevils, and several allies, escape the auditorium once the witches leave for breakfast. They set out on their own to try to help the other captives survive.

The story continues with Tina Alice and her phone call marathon.

"Yes, Sir." Tina Alice spoke into a land line phone she held against her ear. "500 white T-shirts to be delivered to the woods outside of Milton Middle School."

"I do know it is 2:00 in the morning, and no, I'm not crazy. Emory Settler asked me to call you on his behalf."

"The password? Phone Call Express."

"No, Sir, I don't know the nature of your relationship with Mr. Settler, but I'm familiar with his line of work. He's on his way up here to rescue people inside my school being held hostage by four witches, and more werewolves than I could count."

"Thank you. I hope it turns out well, too."

"Oh, you live in Miltonville? Great."

"Gooblie Shirts?"

"I know exactly where that is. It's about a mile from my house. Cool!"

"It stands for Goblin T-shirts? Wow, I never knew that."

"Yes, Sir I've met you before, but you didn't look like a goblin to me."

"No, I guess I've never seen a goblin before, so I don't really know what one looks like."

"Oh, you had plastic surgery. Very smart!"

"All white t-shirts, yes. I think he plans for our troops to wear them so they can be distinguished from enemy forces."

"Of course, we can tell werewolves from humans without the shirts, but the Shadow Wolves will be fighting with us, and I'm not sure we can distinguish one side from the other."

"Sir? No, he didn't say he wanted anything written on the shirts."

"I don't know, what would you put?"

"#goodguys? That would be cool, but wouldn't it take too long? You have to meet him before 5 a.m..

"If you can do it, I'm sure he'll be appreciative ."

"Nice to talk to you, too, and thank you. Good-bye."

Tina looked at the long list of names and phone numbers on the table. Such a lengthy roll would have intimidated most 12-year-olds, but Tina was excited. It would be the first time in her life she was allowed to sit up all night and talk on the phone.

Okay, next number. Tina dialed before looking at the name. A heavily accented voice answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Umm, may I speak to a..." Tina looked at the paper and gulped. "Umm, Mr. Akie, please?"

"This is he. What can I do for you?"

"Okay, so I'm Nancy Jordan's student, Tina, and... are you the real Akie from her story? I mean are you a mummy?

"I was. I'm kind of a normal guy now. What does Nancy need?"

"There's been a hostile takeover of my school in Miltonville where Miss Jordan is working. Bruce told me to call Emory Settler, who told me to call you and ask a favor."

"Go ahead."

"Officer Settler says he needs as many men as you can spare to come help rescue hostages being held at the Middle School."

"Am I to understand the hostage takers are supernatural beings?"

"Yes, Sir, they are. There are four witches and a ton of evil werewolves. There are some good werewolves helping us, though."

"Shadow Wolves?"

"Yeah, do you know about them?"

"Everyone in our world does. So, they've picked a side, have they?"

"Apparently so. Their captain, Kurt Kirkpatrick, seems confident he can rally the others he commands to help."

"I wish him success. So, where is Miltonville?"

"About 200 miles north of Bunker Hill."

"Tell Mr. Settler I'm on my way with as many mummies as I can gather on short notice."

"Live mummies?"

"They wouldn't be much help to you dead."

"True, but, I thought Miss Jordan said you didn't do that anymore. Doesn't bringing mummies back cost someone else's life?"

"We have a new, less invasive, procedure for reanimation. It's all done with a computer program, and no one is hurt. Thanks for asking, though. I love modern technology."

"Yeah, me, too. Do you need directions here?"

"No, Sweetheart, I have GPS."

"Great, can y'all get here by 5 a.m.? That's when he plans to 'address the troops' as he calls it."

"We'll be there. Thank you. Nancy will be proud. Good-bye and good luck."

"Same to you."

Tina placed the phone into its cradle and sat back against her chair. That was the coolest call she had ever made. She had actually talked to a real mummy; the mummy from the pyramid story. She couldn't wait to tell her friends at school.

Tina took a deep breath and stifled a flow of tears threatening to escape her tired eyes. She had to believe her friends were going to survive, and that they would live to trade stories of their own.

She picked up her list of numbers and dialed the next one. Listening to the virtual sound of ringing, Tina wondered about the next call. Would it be the squeaky voice of a goblin, the throaty one of a werewolf, or the cackle of a hag?

She was surprised by a velvety male voice. "Hello? This is Crandall Enterprises. May I help you?"

"Yes... Sir... this is Tina Alice. I'm calling on behalf of Emory Settler according to the policy of the Phone Call Express. May I speak to Mr. Jerald Crandall, please?"

"This is Jerry, What's wrong?"

"Mr. Settler is gathering an army of troops to try and retake my Middle School, which is being held hostage by four witches and an army of werewolves."

"Is that the one they were talking about on the news last night? They didn't say anything about witches and werewolves. They said some foreign terrorists had taken over."

"How long have you known Mr. Settler?"

"Several years."

"Then you should know by now you can't believe everything you hear on the news."

"True. I should know that better than anyone. I used to be an unbeliever, myself."

"Oh. you aren't a supernatural being?"

"I didn't say that. About fifteen years ago, I was a young man with a lot of ambition. I was enticed by a man who promised me a type of power no one else could give . Before I knew what was happening, I had become a beast. Emory Settler showed up and gave me a way out."

"Are you a werewolf?"

"No, my dear, I'm a Daywalker."

"What's that?"

"A long story I'm not prepared to tell a child in the middle of the night. Suffice it to say it's a type of vampire."

"A good one?"

"Yes, and I owe Emory Settler for helping me maintain that status."

"It looks like he's calling in the debt tonight. He wants you to meet him at Milton Middle school by 5 a.m. at the latest."

"Where's the school?"

"About 200 miles North of Bunker Hill."

"I'll look it up and be there as soon as I can make arrangements."

"Do you have any friends you can bring?"

"A few. I'm not into the whole vampire scene, but I'll do what I can."

"Thank you, Sir, and will 5 a.m. be a problem?"

"My dear, I can be there within the hour."

"You fly?"

"Yes."

"I mean, like personally... like a bat."

"Pretty much."

"Cool."

"You sound like a Daredevil Girl."

"Thank you. I was made one today. I'm Nancy Jordan's student."

"Trouble seems to stalk her, doesn't it?"

"Apparently so."

"Okay, Tina, Daredevil Girl. I'll meet Emory Settler at your school."

"Thank you."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Tina hung up and dialed the next number on her list.

"Hello? Whoever you are, it's 2:30 in the morning, and this better be good."

"I don't know how good it is, but it's important. My name is Tina Alice. I'm calling on behalf of Emory Settler according to the policy of the Phone Call Express."

"Tina Alice? The one from Milton Middle School I served snacks to earlier?

"Yes, are you Sean the caterer?"

"That's one of my titles, little craetur . What's going on?"

"Remember the media event the principal told us about?"

"Yeah, she asked me and my employees to leave before the people arrived. Did something crazy happen afterwards?"

"You have no idea. Our principal, Mrs. Pierson turned into a witch, then took over the school with a werewolf army"

"Not good, Lassie."

"No."

"What time?"

"5 a.m.. Do you have any friends to bring?'

"I've a whole flippin' leprechaun army, Lassie."

"You're a leprechaun?"

"Card carryin' member."

"How big is your army?"

"Well, that depends on how many are speaking to me at the moment, but don't worry, I'll scrounge up what I can."

"Thank you. Do you know how to find Emory once you get there?"

"Aye, Lassie, I'll look for the center of the tornado."

Sean hung up, and Tina looked at her list. She felt good about her record thus far. She had made four calls, and all were productive. She picked up the phone, dialed a number, and continued her quest for aide.




A special thanks for the artwork, Red Telephone Boxes, by avmurray

Little craetur: Irish term of affection to a child

General Summary of book:

Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:

Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill

Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother

Mrs. Pierson/ Witch Gelada: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal

Melba, Anastasia, and Matilda: Witch sisters of Mrs. Pierson/Gelada

Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.

Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".

Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.

Theo: Werewolf captor who is bronze colored and the nicer of the two.
Truman: Meaner and less intelligent of the two werewolf captors of the Daredevil Girl Supporters inside the school.

Jerry Crandall: Daywalker Vampire ally of Emory Settler
Gooblie: Goblin ally of Emory Settler

Akhenaten II/Akie: Ahmed's alter ego as a reanimated mummy, the son of Pharaoh Akhenaten I and Queen Nefertiti

Sage: Sally's wise beyond her species, cat sidekick.


Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes

Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde

Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair

Billy Conner: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair

Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American

Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister

Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American. Real name is Tabitha

Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage

Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangling, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.

Bruce: Becky's little brother, the only "Daredevil Guy"

Kurt: Young and handsome Captain of the Shadow Wolves, a group of fringe werewolves who denounce the shedding of innocent blood.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.