Romance Fiction posted November 6, 2016 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana is followed.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter One part Eine

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
Chapter 1 part 1

Shana Kohlberg left the Metropolitan Museum of Art and stepped onto the Fifth Avenue sidewalk, holding the handle of a black satchel in her right hand. This street's busy all the time. She glanced at her watch. Good, it's only two-thirty. I can get a cup of coffee, make sure these papers get put into the hotel's safe, and have time for some sight-seeing before the Sabbat begins.

She stopped at a store window and admired a dress. "Wow! I could never afford that. Do people really pay these prices?" Looking at her reflection in the window, she straightened her ivory, knit, bolero shrug and adjusted the shoulder strap of her purse. This dress is just as nice and I didn't pay nearly that much. I'd better get moving. She smiled at the clicking sound her heels made. I'm classy too.

Continuing walking down the sidewalk, she noticed three men in black suits and sunglasses watching her. I'm sure it's my imagination. Nobody would be interested in me. I'm only a high school English teacher.

Moments later, she came to a coffee shop with outdoor tables. She found a vacant table, sat, and laid the satchel across her lap before reading the menu. With these prices, I'll get something small. It wasn't long before a young waitress came to her table. "I'll have a small coffee, thank you."

The waitress smiled. "Is that all? I recommend our pastries. They're really good."

"No thank you. A small coffee will be fine." Shana removed her cell from her small clutch purse and tapped her brother's name. "Hi Aaron. I'm checking in." She smiled, twisted a strand of her dark brown hair with her finger, and listened. "Yes, everything went well. We'll talk when I get home. I'll be in late tomorrow afternoon. Be sure to tell Mom and Dad." After saying good bye, she put her cell away, and adjusted her skirt, making sure it didn't creep too high.

Shana noticed the same three men standing inside the shop, studying her through a window. That's strange.

The waitress set the cup and saucer on the table with a large brownie.

"Ma'am, excuse me. I didn't order a brownie, just a small coffee."

"I know." She pointed inside the shop. "The tall man in the black suit paid for your coffee and the brownie. He said he hopes you enjoy both."

When Shana looked in his direction, he waved.

"That's strange. I don't know that man. Please take the brownie away."

"Since it's been delivered to the table, I'd have to throw it away. Ma'am, please enjoy it."

Shana opened her purse, searched for a ten-dollar bill, and placed it on the table. "This should cover the coffee."

She stood on the sidewalk and fingered her Star of David necklace. I'm turned around. She searched up and down the sidewalk. Which way do I go? She released a deep breath. Okay, breathe. Don't let those men get to you. I'm sure they think I'm somebody else. The art museum's that way. I need to go right. She continued walking down Fifth Avenue.

Trying to casually glance over her shoulder, Shana noticed the three men walking a few stores behind her. She clasped her necklace. I'm leading them right to my hotel. I should never have come to New York alone. I should've waited until Aaron could come. She hurried her step and noticed their reflection in the stores' windows. The men sped up too.

Just as Shana arrived at the street light it turned red. "Figures!" The people standing beside her glanced in her direction. She ignored the bystanders and watched the three men move closer. Why are they following me? I need to get away from them, but how?" She noticed a black Jaguar convertible stopped at the light. He's wearing a suit and shiny cuff-links. He looks nice. Immediately, she reached in, unlocked the door, and sat down.

The driver gave her a once-over glance and smiled.

The light turned green. "Could you please hurry?" Shana's voice trembled as she noticed the three men running to the car.




Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a Jaguar similar to the one Anderson drives. I hope you enjoy this novel. I appreciate all your reviews and help and support your give me. I am listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have followed me before know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
I did find this and found it interesting. "Today more than 100,000 stolen works of art are still unaccounted for."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.