General Fiction posted September 13, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The story of a deal gone wrong.

Wilting Orchid

by Heather Knight

I walk towards the living room window and look at my yellow orchid. There is no denying it, the leaves are wilting, the flowers look pale. It's not as lively as it was yesterday.

'No, you can't do this to me! You mustn't die on me. I'm counting on you.'

I don't usually talk to plants, but I'm desperate. At the beginning of the winter there were fifteen plants in my apartment and I have managed to kill fourteen of them.

It's not that I really care about the plants per se, but I made a deal with my husband. I've always wanted to live in a house, you know. I love the idea of a garden, a place where I can sunbathe and eat breakfast. Even if I'm surrounded by weeds. So my husband said, 'If you manage not to kill all the plants in the apartment, we'll move.'

'Deal,' I shouted excitedly. Nobody could kill so many plants. Not even me.

But I have proved myself wrong. Now my orchid is about to die. What can I do?

I turn to face the treacherous plant and start talking to it again, using the sweetest voice I can manage.

'What is it that you need? Maybe some more water? I'll do whatever you want if you help me. I can't keep on living in an apartment, you know.'

I go to the kitchen and return with the kettle. I pour some water on the pot and it overflows.

'Oh, no! It seems you have too much already.'

I touch its leaves tenderly and one of them falls and then another one. I'm making things worse by the minute.

What can I do? My husband is about to come back from work and I can't let him win.

It's a good thing I think better under pressure. I go to my room and get changed. Then I put on my coat. When I'm ready, I get my handbag and go back to the living room to get the orchid.

'I'm so sorry. I hope you'll forgive me,' I say to it.

Then I leave home. When I get to the dumpster, I drop the orchid inside and cover it with a discarded plastic bag.

'Goodbye, my friend,' I whisper.

Then I start walking fast. I must be back home before Josh. When I get to the shops, I'm panting. I buy what I need, even though I think it's ridiculously expensive and start running towards the apartment.

Once home, I take off my coat and hide all the signs of my deceptive activity.

A while later, I hear the key in the lock.

'Hi, darling,' I say. 'Dinner will be ready in five minutes.'

'Don't worry. I'm not hungry. I think I'll watch some television.'

Five minutes later, I hear Josh calling me.

'Maria!'

'Yes, dear?'

'Wasn't that orchid yellow?'

Oops! I forgot one little detail ... it seems in my hurry I bought a pink orchid instead.

I smile sheepishly and don't say anything. I can say bye to my dream garden for the time being.



Dying Houseplant writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
A houseplant is dying. Tell it why it needs to live.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.