General Fiction posted September 4, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
potlatch challenge prose 175 words

The winner

by LIJ Red

The woman with too much make-up rested her red lips on the rim of her glass, then she said to her new girl friend, "I loved him because he could laugh and quote poetry. He could figure out any problem that came his way. He liked people. He accepted things, like when he was drafted. He was very smart. MENSA Intelligent. So we tied the knot, and he left me swelled up like the Graf Hindenberg and did his tour in Viet Nam. A grunt in the bush. And he came home, with feet messed up by funguses and a scar on his arm. He was always trim, but now he was stringy. He had a chestful of medals. He slept like a log and ate like a hog and was better than ever in bed. But he didn't laugh anymore. He didn't go to church anymore. He had no patience with poor frail human beings, and he didn't believe in happy endings anymore. And he feared absolutely nothing. So I divorced him."



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LIJ Red All rights reserved.
LIJ Red has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.