General Fiction posted August 3, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When vegetables become dangerous.

Beautiful spinach

by Heather Knight

At just twenty-five I was a novice mother. I was easily influenced by people's opinions and unfortunately people had an opinion about almost everything.

'Poor little guy! Why isn't he wearing shoes?' one of my mother's neighbors said. This was the middle of August, when sweat was streaming down my face.

'Why do you speak to him in English? How will he understand you?' 'The same way he understands you, senora, he's one month old.' (This was in Spain).

When he started eating solids, the way I fed him became another bone of contention. I used to buy my son ready-made baby foods and was thus labelled a bad mother. At first I didn't mind because he seemed to enjoy them very much and they saved me loads of work.

I'm weak, however, and my friends and acquaintances' wagging tongues wore me down. What if I was depriving my first-born of the necessary nutrients?

So one morning I woke up early and ready for action. I went into the kitchen, put on an apron (wait a minute, I just made that up, I haven't worn an apron in my entire life) and filled my pressure cooker with chopped vegetables.

'How very green, how healthy-looking!' I reflected.

Later on that day, I placed my son in his high chair. I was giddy with anticipation. I was going to feed him something I'd made myself.

I sat down opposite him and smiled. I was rewarded with a toothless grin.

'See what Mum has cooked for you.' I said, putting a spoonful in his mouth.

I watched him as his expression changed to one of disgust. He started spitting and in no time I was covered in green goo.

It was back to ready-made food for him straightaway!



The Enjoyment of Eating! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The enjoyment of eating! Yes, the contest entries can be about eating enjoyment, but they can also be about enjoyable times that happened while eating. Topic does not have to be addressed directly, but must be incorporated into piece. Readers should be able to laugh at the entries! Any type of submission, poetry, non-fiction, fiction, etc., is welcome. Works must be 300 words or less. Word count must be listed in author's notes.


300 word count
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.