Fantasy Fiction posted July 24, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Story Beginning-Potlatch Challeng

Tin Condo, Rent Controlled

by michaelcahill














 
Astonishing wouldn’t begin to describe the feeling we all felt looking down at a pale pink Earth. I guess astonished would describe my feeling looking down at the panorama before me. Blue would, of course, be my expectation. For Don, Boris and the veteran of the crew, Tenaya, a pink globe had to be disconcerting to say the least.
 
We knew the cause and we knew our role. We knew we’d failed in our mission. We alone would soon be all that remained of humanity. Our former home would turn to red, then a glowing, bright red and finally a lifeless, black-singed ball of nothingness, as the last bit of atmosphere burned off.
 
“Well, who’s your choice? I vote for me. You know Boris is a communist. He tries to cover it up, but inside of every Rooskie’s a Red waiting to split up the goods and pass them out. Cord there’s too young and inexperienced and besides, he’ll be waiting when I pass on. I figure you’ll be enough to kill me in about a month. Yep, come to Donnie, baby. I’m your guy.”
 
We all laughed. What the hell else could we do? We had months of supplies, but months wasn’t what we had in mind for a lifetime.

                                          -to be continued-




 



Recognized




Prose Potlatch Challenge: Write a story or novel beginning, 200-400 word in length on the topic of "Final Days". My time from start to post-16 minutes.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.