General Fiction posted July 6, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One boy saves the life of another

Mike (Flash fiction, 483 words)

by jusylee72


"Can I come out now? I did what you asked. You said I could see Mommy."

The child talked through a vent in the door.

"You were very good. I am proud of you. I talked to your Mommy. She is mad at you."

"Mad?"

"Yes, you weren't supposed to be at the park. You were supposed to stay home. You know when she works late you have to lock the door and stay there."

"I know."

"So why did you disobey her?"

"I wanted to play at the park with my friends."

"She wants you to learn your lesson. She told me to make you stay two more days. Then she will come and get you."

"My Mommy wouldn't say that."

The voice got angry. "Are you calling me a liar?"

"No, I just want to go home. I'm hungry."

"There is food in the small fridge in the corner."

The light left the vent.

"It will be okay." There was a voice in the room.

"Who are you?"

"Mike, just Mike. How old are you?"

"Eight."

"I came here when I was nine. He doesn't use me anymore. It won't be long before he takes me out of here. How much do you want to see your Mommy?"

Tears fell as the boy trembled.

"Listen to me. You are a smart little boy. You must remember it all. He will come for you in two days. He will make you do many more ugly things. He will say you can see your Mommy. He is lying. Did he have a gun?"

"Yes."

"It is in his left hand. Do you know right and left?"

"Sometimes it is hard for me."

The lessons began. He learned right from left.   

"Do what he says. He will say he is ready. When he begins to breathe hard, roll over on his left hand.The gun will fall. Pick it up, shoot at his pant's zipper. Do you know how to shoot?"

"Only a water pistol."

"Don't hold the trigger down like a water pistol, just shoot over and over again. The door is on the right. Run out. Scream. Get someone to notice you."

"What about you?"

"Bring them back to find me."

Two days later the door opened.  The man took him out of the room. Mike's words were in the boy's head.  Everything Mike said became true.  He waited until the man was breathing hard.  He rolled. He picked up the gun. The first shot only hit his leg. The second was exactly where Mike coached him to shoot.  The door was on the right.

" I did it! It worked, Mike!"

He screamed as he ran down the street.  He was covered in blood.  A woman stopped to help him. 

He told the police everything. They found Mike.


The bones of the ten year old had been there for at least four years. 




 






 



Kidnapped! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You are challenged to write a story about a kidnapping. Maximum word count is 500 words.

Recognized


Less than five hundred words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.