Mystery and Crime Flash Fiction posted June 2, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
noir flash-fiction

A Message in the Wee Hours

by RodG


Dull light from the street lamp creeps through the blinds across the face of the clock.  2:12 a.m.  A night owl, I'm at my desk having breakfast:  two fingers of rye and a cig.  Maybe coffee and a donut later at the all-night diner.

rock shatters my window, just missing my head.  I'm on the floor, gun in hand, when the phone rings.  I grab it.

"Athens, that's a warning.  Next time a bullet if you don't lay off lookin'  for Daschard's daughter . . . You listenin'?"

I grunt.  "She alive?"

A hissing sneer.  "Yeah, gumshoe, for now.  Back off . . . or!"  The line goes dead.

I'm back at my desk, cleaning my gun and finishing breakfast.  The flunky on the phone follows orders from someone.  Johnny Athens doesn't.  Too stubborn I guess.

I lock up the office and continue my search for the missing heiress.



100 Word Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that is between 100 and 150 words. The trick is you must use the following words: breakfast, light, rock, phone, clock


Johnny Athens is a Chicago P.I. in the late 40s.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.