General Fiction posted May 20, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Title a novel by Charlaine Harris

Dead Ever After

by Kazzawin

"You ok there?"

I looked up. A young girl was smiling across at me.

"I was looking for a grave," I said stupidly. Why else would I be there?

"Only, I can't find it."

"What name?" she asked.

"Agnes Merryweather," I replied, scanning the headstones.

"A fresh grave?"

The words made me shudder. I hated cemeteries.

"Erm, yes. Last month. Is there a place for new graves then?" I enquired.

"Aha, it's on the far left. Follow that wall over there," she said pointing to a cobbled wall running along the cemetery path.

"Thanks," I said and started to pass her.

"No flowers?" she whispered.

"Er, no. I didn't really know her." I faltered, feeling guilty.

"She left me something in her will," I sighed, "it was nice of her. I'm just paying my respects."

"You should get sweet peas. They're really pretty, she'd like them."

"Sorry, do you work here?" I frowned.

"Like you, I am just looking out a grave. I'm Cherry. Cherry Smith."
She offered a cool hand.


On returning, she'd gone.
I moved onto the grass verge as a cortege approached, fresh flowers in hand. Bowing respectfully I breathed in the heady scent as the cars passed by.
Suddenly, my head felt light and my chest tightened. Slowly I dropped onto the damp grass.
Ahead, the car moved forward. In the back, C H E R R Y in large red letters was placed behind the brightest pink posy of pretty sweet peas.






Creepy Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You have up to 250 words to write a story that must be both creepy and touching.

Your title must be a well known name from the world of horror.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kazzawin All rights reserved.
Kazzawin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.