General Fiction posted April 8, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A strange feeling leads to tragedy

It

by jusylee72

Something was bothering Jack. It was an uneasy feeling. Nothing he could put his finger on. Still it caused his spine to tingle and his head to hurt.

It wasn't the weather. It was changing but not drastically. He used to get migraines as a child when the barometer dropped but that wasn't it either.

It wasn't his job. He had just gotten a promotion, District Manager for the Thompson Medical Research Corporation. More responsibility, but he liked responsibility so that wasn't it either.

It wasn't his wife. They had been together a little over three years now. They had a baby daughter. He loved that her personality was like her mother's but her eyes were the same blue as his.

This feeling was more instinctual. Territorial. Threatening.

Maybe it was the man he encountered on the way to his office.

Jack had parked across the street at the high rise on the corner of First and Main. He'd taken the elevator to the first floor. His office was on the opposite corner.

The man was simply sitting, staring at all who walked by. He was clean for a homeless person if that is what he was. The cardboard sign he held had four words, "The Time Has Come."

As he passed him he thought. 'Another religious fanatic waiting for the apocalypse.' He was twenty feet from him when the man spoke. "I see you. You are the one chosen." Jack ignored him and walked on.

That was five hours ago. The feeling had started shortly afterwards.

Jack called home, "Terry, I was just thinking of you is everything okay at home?"

Terry was surprised, "Since when do you call me and worry. I'm just fine and the baby is napping. You never call me from work. Is something wrong?"

"No, just feeling a little edgy and I don't know why. Maybe I'm coming down with something. Just not quite myself. I love you. I'll be home at the usual time."

He hung up.  He had a big office now with its own bathroom and shower. He walked to the sink and splashed water on his face, hoping it would help.

The feeling got worse.

Mason walked into the room. "Got some more grants." He said proudly, "We should be able to continue the Minneapolis Project."

"Thank you, "Jack tried to pretend nothing was wrong. "Good work, this means another bonus for all of us."

Alone again, he repeated the words the man had said, "I see you. You are the one chosen." 'His mind started to question his reality. 'Don't worry, He probably says that to all that pass him.'

Jack couldn't take it anymore. He lied to his secretary and said he had a doctor's appointment and that he would be back tomorrow.

'Am I going crazy?' Jack thought. 'I never let things get to me.'

It was barely 2:30 in the afternoon, when he found himself on the street again. He walked towards the place where the man had been. The man had left. The sign was still there. It was propped against the wall. Now instead of four words there were seven. "The time has come. Jack, you're it."

Was this an evil game of tag? Now he was angry.

'Quit playing with my head. You have no idea who I am. I'm not interested in whatever end game you're trying to play.' His mind was racing with thoughts and emotion.

The man was next to him. "It's not a game."

Startled Jack backed up. Had this stranger read his mind? Where did he come from? He hadn't seen him approach.

"Look, I don't know how you know my name or who you think you are but you're messing with the wrong person." Jack was beyond angry now. This feeling had quickly turned from anger to rage. The adrenaline was pumping through his veins. He felt like a wild animal.

The man spoke. "I'm not the devil. This is not the Apocalypse but I am from Hell. A man made hell you helped create."

Jack was taken aback with that statement.

The man continued, "The Minneapolis Project, I was your first victim. I was clinically insane. Your medical research team told me it was medicine. I took it willingly. According to the doctors I'm cured. They released me yesterday. There will be a write up in the Minnesota Medical Journal. There will be a documentary coming out next month. It will be all about me and my journey to conquer the demons in my head. I hid the truth well."

Jack was stuttering now, "What truth?"

The man didn't hesitate. "It." He said.

"It?' Jack mumbled.

"I am no longer a man. I have no feelings. I have no desires. I have no will. They told me over and over just to take one. It will help me. So I named them It."

He took a bottle out of his pocket. He opened it and handed Jack four large red capsules filled with some sort of liquid. "You will take these."

"Hell, no I won't."

The man was swift. He had Jack in a restraining hold within ten seconds.

"I learned so much after being forced to take medicine for years. Now it is your turn."

Another man with a blank stare came out of nowhere. He was eerily calm as he expertly forced Jack's mouth open and inserted one of the pills. Jack tried to fight, but they were experts at this.

The capsule exploded in his mouth. It snapped in juicy protest. Some of the pink liquid escaped running down his cheek. He felt calm.

Jack didn't remember how he got to his car. He simply turned it on and went home. His wife greeted him at the door.

"I brought some vitamins, dear, for you and the baby."
He walked toward the nursery.

And hell on earth began one pill at a time.



"Found" Flash Fiction Contest contest entry

Recognized


Quote : It snapped in juicy protest.
Novel: Fahrenheit 451 Ray Bradbury
990 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.